Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
22-10-2013, 03:01 PM
RE: Technology by Filox
Hey,i just want to ask. Wich one should i pick? Would it make any difference?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FVTGIPQ...078&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000W8UIZW?d=t&pd=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002N8A1ME?d=f&pd=1

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Either of the netgear ones, SMC stuff that ive come across have been shoddy. (opinion only)

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
28-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Filox, me ol' matey (or anyone else for that matter)...

My laptop is getting old and the fan is dead so I'm after some advice for my next purchase.

I saw an ad for an ASUS Transformer Book Trio (which looks like, unlike wot their marketing says, a 2 in 1 rather than a three in one).

I'm always wary of 'combined' solutions rather than 'best of breed' because often there are compromises.

Has anyone trialed one yet or bought one?

The price is ok at 4k MYR (or SGD 1.5k or USD 1.2k) but is it worth it?

I only need something for presentations and internet access (I don't download anything ever) but I like the idea of being able to detach the screen 'cause currently I leave my laptop unattended at times.

Grateful for any advice.

Cheers.

28-11-2013, 09:43 AM
its a weird one, looks like you can't use windows on it when you remove it from the base, just android.
but the base alone is quite a powerful little unit.

A surface pro2 may suit better,

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
28-11-2013, 11:02 AM
(28-11-2013 09:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Filox, me ol' matey (or anyone else for that matter)...

My laptop is getting old and the fan is dead so I'm after some advice for my next purchase.

I saw an ad for an ASUS Transformer Book Trio (which looks like, unlike wot their marketing says, a 2 in 1 rather than a three in one).

I'm always wary of 'combined' solutions rather than 'best of breed' because often there are compromises.

Has anyone trialed one yet or bought one?

The price is ok at 4k MYR (or SGD 1.5k or USD 1.2k) but is it worth it?

I only need something for presentations and internet access (I don't download anything ever) but I like the idea of being able to detach the screen 'cause currently I leave my laptop unattended at times.

Grateful for any advice.

Cheers.

That's a hell of a lot of money for the functionality you need.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-11-2013, 11:05 AM
(28-11-2013 11:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
That's a hell of a lot of money for the functionality you need.

Is it?

Meh. Seemed like a trivial amount.

Thanks Sporehux, I'll check out the price of the surface pro2

29-11-2013, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2013 08:47 AM by Filox.)
What was that? Some epic shit right there. Never seen this before, but it looks great and it is not all that expensive. It is 2 in one, if you do not have a TV, or another monitor on which you mean to connect the docking part of the laptop. But if you do, in some cases it can be just like a desktop PC. So, it is just like they market it, a 3-in-1 gadget.

Just be careful and think about it, if it is for presentations, when you disconnect the tablet, it does not have the main hard disk, just the backup 32/64 GB flash drive. The main hard disk is in the docking part. So be careful what data you put on what disk, you wouldn't want to go to the presentation with just a tablet and all your data is on the docking part. On the other hand, you can take only the docking part and connect it to the monitor/projector wherever you will be having the presentation, so it is less to carry around, or you can use the tablet for something else, during the presentation...

There are a lot of options with this baby, maybe you can even control the docking part with the tablet? Through wi-fi, or something, like a remote... That would be awesome for presentations. I didn't see it in specs, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Surface pro2 is just a bit stronger Windows based tablet with a keyboard, like most other tablets can connect as well. Asus Transformer Book Trio is something completely different.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
29-11-2013, 09:34 AM
(29-11-2013 08:43 AM)Filox Wrote:  What was that? Some epic shit right there. Never seen this before, but it looks great and it is not all that expensive. It is 2 in one, if you do not have a TV, or another monitor on which you mean to connect the docking part of the laptop. But if you do, in some cases it can be just like a desktop PC. So, it is just like they market it, a 3-in-1 gadget.

Just be careful and think about it, if it is for presentations, when you disconnect the tablet, it does not have the main hard disk, just the backup 32/64 GB flash drive. The main hard disk is in the docking part. So be careful what data you put on what disk, you wouldn't want to go to the presentation with just a tablet and all your data is on the docking part. On the other hand, you can take only the docking part and connect it to the monitor/projector wherever you will be having the presentation, so it is less to carry around, or you can use the tablet for something else, during the presentation...

There are a lot of options with this baby, maybe you can even control the docking part with the tablet? Through wi-fi, or something, like a remote... That would be awesome for presentations. I didn't see it in specs, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Surface pro2 is just a bit stronger Windows based tablet with a keyboard, like most other tablets can connect as well. Asus Transformer Book Trio is something completely different.

Thanks Filly, I appreciate the response.

My plan would be to leave the keyboard part in the presentation room and take the tablet bit with me to lunch. Currently I leave my whole (one) laptop in the presentation room connected to the projector.

I don't have a TV so it's a 2-in-1 but, thanks, at least I understand the marketing blurb now.

I'll go seek out a demo tomorrow.

Bowing

29-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Hey, don't call it a marketing blurb. For example, when you work at home, it can be tiresome to keep working on a small monitor, specially if ti has a huge HD resolution, everything is so damn tiny. So, for the time when you work at home, or you just want to watch a movie on a big screen, you can buy yourself a big monitor and enjoy you little laptop on a big monitor. Easier to work, nicer for the movies.

OR!

You can get yourself one projector, you you can turn the little laptop into a home cinema. A real cinema, in your home... But to be honest, you can do that with any laptop, without disconnecting the main laptop monitor... Big Grin

BUT!

If you can control the laptop (docking part) with the tablet, then it all makes much more sense and is much more "a great solution". Be sure to ask this in the shop.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
06-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Looks like this might be where I might hang out a lot on this tech thread. I am huge on surveillance systems and anything Audio Visual so looking to add to the technology madness. Its kind of what I do for a living so happy to put in some input where needed.

My latest project is putting 3 IP cameras on the house not because of where I live just because I can and I am a nerd. I am wondering what the impact it will have on my kids (3, 8 and 9) when they grow up knowing there was always a camera on the living room and front of the house. As I show them I have nothing to hide but big brother is always watching. Its the world we live in now and partly why I can afford a house. Anyway that was random! Smile
[+] 2 users Like Cod77's post