Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
12-01-2014, 03:45 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
No experience with WD MyCloud thing. Can't help you out, sorry.

ears:

It could be that your cable is damaged, or that your wi-fi is suffering from some terrible noise, or that you ISP just had something fuck up at their side, so you need to call them and ask what is going on with your connection.

Of course, you can always have some nasty virus that took over your whole bandwidth, so there is no room for you and your requests.

I would bet on the ISP and their problems.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 06:52 AM
(30-11-2011 06:47 AM)Filox Wrote:  I am an IT technician and administrator I have some computer skills and knowledge.

Woo hoo! I love this site! I'm an IT student with a concentration in programming/database development!

You can take the egotistically-fathomed dogmatic moral system you call what "should be" and shove it up your asshole for thinking it's applicable to anyone but yourself.
13-01-2014, 10:34 AM
(12-01-2014 03:45 AM)Filox Wrote:  No experience with WD MyCloud thing. Can't help you out, sorry.

ears:

It could be that your cable is damaged, or that your wi-fi is suffering from some terrible noise, or that you ISP just had something fuck up at their side, so you need to call them and ask what is going on with your connection.

Of course, you can always have some nasty virus that took over your whole bandwidth, so there is no room for you and your requests.

I would bet on the ISP and their problems.

Yea..
I just turned it off and turned it back on again and it was fine.
My ISP is shit though. Always "The DNS server cannot be found" or some shit.
They're gonna get a nasty phone call from me asking what the fuck I pay for as soon as I find my phone charger.

[Image: oscar.png]
14-01-2014, 07:47 AM
My isp, telstra bigpond. Has constant DNS issues, changing the adapter dns from the modem/router address to 8.8.8.8 (google) is a tiny bit slower but is many time more stable.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
14-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Hello Filox! I've got a brand new problem here. Would you please look at it?
I got this mp3 player, Sony NWZ-E585. Not perfect, but not bad. The problem is, I can play some podcasts on it, some I can't. Some mp3 show the message "Cannot play; file format is not supported"
Mp3 I can play: http://media.freedomainradio.com/feed/FD...gy_101.mp3
Mp3 I can't play: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thethinking...gion-1.mp3

I have googled around a lot, obviously most of the official advice is "you've got an unsupported format, you dumbass". Some advice to older devices said it might help to create a separate folder, didn't work.
I've got the software Audacity, but I don't see much difference there. I have successfully listened to podcasts which are much longer, much bigger on memory and higher in frequency.

I tried to save the TTA podcast in 24 KHz, top that Audacity allowed me, and 144 kb/s. And voila, it works! But damn, this is uncomfortable. What does it mean, why doesn't it play low quality mp3? Is there any fast and clever fix on that? Or knowing what exactly do I complain about?

There was one problem in the beginning, its dedicated software such as Media Go didn't go on with installation. It is claimed to be compatible on the website on Windows 8, but I can not install Visual C++ 2005 because of the AMD incompatibility, or so the error message says. So I don't know if it would help. I managed to switch the driver from Media Transfer mode to Mass Storage mode, so I can use it just fine. But I don't know if the dedicated software would help, no point in trying that now.
21-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Sorry it took me this much time to answer you.

The answer is: I have no idea. Smile

Maybe if you can update your players software, if there is an option. As far as I can see, there are no options there. http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/NWZ-E585

This is one of those "weird" things with electronics. To check out if your player is faulty, you must get the same one (borrow it somewhere) and try to play the file your player does not want to.

Sorry I couldn't be of more use.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
22-03-2014, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2014 03:00 PM by Luminon.)
(21-03-2014 09:01 AM)Filox Wrote:  Sorry it took me this much time to answer you.

The answer is: I have no idea. Smile

Maybe if you can update your players software, if there is an option. As far as I can see, there are no options there. http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/NWZ-E585

This is one of those "weird" things with electronics. To check out if your player is faulty, you must get the same one (borrow it somewhere) and try to play the file your player does not want to.

Sorry I couldn't be of more use.
Well, thanks nonetheless. Looks like this problem is persistent. I tried to convert the podcasts into WMA - it plays silently and the time length shows as about half. If converted into WAW or FLAC, the podcast plays on double speed at least. OGG does the same on my computer.

This is what I found:
http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/xmp3/default.asp

Unfortunately, there is a very big problem with the 16Kb/s format. There are two different versions of "frames" in MP3 formats of less than 24Kb/s: version 2.0 and version 2.5. Most MP3 encoders (programs that convert WAV files into MP3 format) use version 2.0 frames and most mp3 portable players use version 2.5. Therefore, some MP3 portable players do not recognise those MP3 files as MP3 at all, just as data files. The majority of portable players however, do play mp3 with version 2.5 frames, but very often, many high level additional facilities of those MP3 portable players stop functioning properly, e.g. Bookmark, Pause, Loop, FF, Rewind, Hold etc. It is crucial that you test MP3 Portable Player behaviour on 16Kb/s before purchasing, if you intend using it for mp3 Audio Books.

Download from our site several mp3 audio book files in 16Kb/s and in 24Kb/s and take them with you to the shop when looking for an MP3 Portable Player.

This is a description of the problem, but I don't know how to name it, so that I can search for it. There is some kind of "format" or "frame" to mp3 and I don't know how to put it to Google so that I don't get flooded with other format conversion and video frame answers.
Maybe there is some program that can quickly process a batch of mp3 files, re-coding them somehow. Damn! Maybe "re-code" or re-encode is the word I'm looking for! Looks like there are some programs like that.

EDIT: Turns out the player can play this kind of podcasts. Just not as podcasts, not in the podcast folder, but as regular music that doesn't allow bookmarks. The player doesn't have bookmarks at all, but in podcast folder it always remembers where the file was left off. In music folder it remembers only where the currently playing track was left off. This is going to be awkward, but usable.
23-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Sooo, a wee bit of a pickle. Haven't taken time to google my way out of this yet, but here is my dilemma. I am locked out of my old smartphone, I haven't picked it up in a couple months. I tried everything I can guess, I'm locked out up to 60 minutes now. Am I hooped, how can I fix?
23-04-2014, 07:03 PM
(23-04-2014 06:05 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Sooo, a wee bit of a pickle. Haven't taken time to google my way out of this yet, but here is my dilemma. I am locked out of my old smartphone, I haven't picked it up in a couple months. I tried everything I can guess, I'm locked out up to 60 minutes now. Am I hooped, how can I fix?

Make and model?

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
23-04-2014, 07:38 PM
(23-04-2014 07:03 PM)Crulax Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 06:05 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Sooo, a wee bit of a pickle. Haven't taken time to google my way out of this yet, but here is my dilemma. I am locked out of my old smartphone, I haven't picked it up in a couple months. I tried everything I can guess, I'm locked out up to 60 minutes now. Am I hooped, how can I fix?

Make and model?

iPhone 4