Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
23-06-2014, 10:13 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
Hmm... Consider

I have an old Compaq laptop I used to use in Jr High. It worked fine until one day it just died. I had a tech friend check it and he just reset the bios and checked for viruses. He said everything came up clean.
About a month later it died again. I tried resetting the bios but it didn't work. It would just turn on (lights would flash for like two seconds, screen never turned on) then turn off.
My parents "knew" I got a virus and I "knew" it was a hardware problem. So, given the above information would it be possible to diagnose whether it was hardware or malware related? I'm curious who "knewded" correctly Smartass

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2014, 10:17 AM
I haz a question. Hobo

My child has an Xbox 360 which has recently run out of storage space. Undecided So I am needing some sort of external hard drive. Now, this is probably a dumb question, but do I have to get something special for this? Or will a regular old flash drive do the trick? Blush

Thanks! Big Grin

23-06-2014, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2014 10:47 AM by Michael_Tadlock.)
(23-06-2014 10:13 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Hmm... Consider

I have an old Compaq laptop I used to use in Jr High. It worked fine until one day it just died. I had a tech friend check it and he just reset the bios and checked for viruses. He said everything came up clean.
About a month later it died again. I tried resetting the bios but it didn't work. It would just turn on (lights would flash for like two seconds, screen never turned on) then turn off.
My parents "knew" I got a virus and I "knew" it was a hardware problem. So, given the above information would it be possible to diagnose whether it was hardware or malware related? I'm curious who "knewded" correctly Smartass

It could be a mess of problems, but my suspicion is that it is over heating. Does it ever get really sluggish for no reason to at all? If you are a comfortable try and open her up and blow out any dust with a can of compressed air. If you don't want to try breaking into it, you can just try blasting the air vents.

A simple tool can be downloaded to check your CPU and GPU temperatures. I would try real temp and GPU-Z. If your CPU is over 50c on idle (meaning not doing anything) and your GPU is over 60c then you have a problem.

To be safe, I would check your main memory too. Download memtest on the internet, and burn it to a CD with imgburn, or your prefered software. Put it in your CD drive, go into your bios, and put the CD drive as your first boot device. There are a million tutorials on the internet for how to do this. If you memory fails the test then spend 40 bucks on a new kit. Its a really easy and cheap fix.

Worst case scenario is the AC/DC converter in your laptop is on the fritz. I don't know how to fix that I am afraid.
23-06-2014, 10:47 AM
(23-06-2014 10:17 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I haz a question. Hobo

My child has an Xbox 360 which has recently run out of storage space. Undecided So I am needing some sort of external hard drive. Now, this is probably a dumb question, but do I have to get something special for this? Or will a regular old flash drive do the trick? Blush

Thanks! Big Grin

The XBOX 360 only recognizes FAT32 file systems. FAT32 is a way of indexing files on a hard drive that the XBOX 360 understand. If you buy an external hard drive it will almost certainly be NTFS which the XBox cannot read, or FAT64 which it also cannot read. All you have to do is buy a 4gb or lower flash drive, and use a software tool to format it to FAT32.

Try this tutorial:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer...to-fat-32/
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
23-06-2014, 10:52 AM
(23-06-2014 10:47 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  

Thanks! Big Grin

The XBOX 360 only recognizes FAT32 file systems. FAT32 is a way of indexing files on a hard drive that the XBOX 360 understand. If you buy an external hard drive it will almost certainly be NTFS which the XBox cannot read, or FAT64 which it also cannot read. All you have to do is buy a 4gb or lower flash drive, and use a software tool to format it to FAT32.

Try this tutorial:

What he said, because I am not proficient with Xboxes...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
23-06-2014, 10:58 AM

It is 100% a hardware problem. Viruses can only affect OS, but your laptop can not even boot all the devices, it shuts down in the process of turning on.

This can be due to various things, most common and probable would be: RAM (memory), graphic card, or motherboard. It is less likely that it could be a HDD, but that is a possibility.

If it is the memory, it can be replaced for pretty cheap. If it is the graphic card or the motherboard, since it is the laptop, the cost of repairing would most likely too expensive.

My guess would be - the motherboard.

Sorry.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
23-06-2014, 11:18 AM
(23-06-2014 09:41 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 09:26 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  I have linux on my usb. Not on my hard disk. And i see no way on how to run chckdsk when windows keeps getting stuck at the splash screen from all the optiond from save modes menu, and i don't happen to have a recovery cd.

I hope you have a friend that has a PC and is not afraid to open it and put your HDD inside. I do that all the time, but not everyone is willing or able to do it...

Tell me what you can do, we will go from there.

a friend of mine has one of those adaptors wich you can use to mount the drives from desktops on laptops. I'm getting it as soon as my dad gets home, and run a chckdsk from there.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
23-06-2014, 11:31 AM
(23-06-2014 10:58 AM)Filox Wrote:  

It is 100% a hardware problem. Viruses can only affect OS, but your laptop can not even boot all the devices, it shuts down in the process of turning on.

This can be due to various things, most common and probable would be: RAM (memory), graphic card, or motherboard. It is less likely that it could be a HDD, but that is a possibility.

If it is the memory, it can be replaced for pretty cheap. If it is the graphic card or the motherboard, since it is the laptop, the cost of repairing would most likely too expensive.

My guess would be - the motherboard.

Sorry.

Haha no need to apologize, I already have another computer. This was a few years ago and I still get shit about it. My parents made me buy my own laptop because of it. This was just for my personal satisfaction Smile

Also, are you familiar with capture cards and how they work? If so I may have another question... (technical, not a "how to" I promise)

Atir aissom atir imon
23-06-2014, 11:54 AM
(23-06-2014 10:47 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  

Thanks! Big Grin

Try this tutorial:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463

wait, i thought you could create fat32 partitions upto 32 Gb. But microsoft says that's 8Tb?

23-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Ok. Now i am really confused.
Microsoft says 8Tb, wikipedia says 2Tb. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32