Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
23-06-2014, 12:46 PM
RE: Technology by Filox
(23-06-2014 10:47 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 10:17 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I haz a question. Hobo

My child has an Xbox 360 which has recently run out of storage space. Undecided So I am needing some sort of external hard drive. Now, this is probably a dumb question, but do I have to get something special for this? Or will a regular old flash drive do the trick? Blush

Thanks! Big Grin

The XBOX 360 only recognizes FAT32 file systems. FAT32 is a way of indexing files on a hard drive that the XBOX 360 understand. If you buy an external hard drive it will almost certainly be NTFS which the XBox cannot read, or FAT64 which it also cannot read. All you have to do is buy a 4gb or lower flash drive, and use a software tool to format it to FAT32.

Try this tutorial:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer...to-fat-32/

Thanks. Big Grin I will try this and let y'all know how it turns out.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2014, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2014 01:22 PM by Filox.)
(23-06-2014 11:58 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Ok. Now i am really confused.
Microsoft says 8Tb, wikipedia says 2Tb. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32

It really makes no difference, because there is no reason at all to have FAT32 instead of NTFS. NTFS is much better and is used on drives over 4 GB in size. Unless you need it for something very specific...

As for the adapter, it should do nicely. It is a bit better, in some cases, to connect the drive directly to motherboard, but try the USB adapter first.

CHKDSK x: /R - do not forget to use R.

Let me know how it went.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
23-06-2014, 01:16 PM
(23-06-2014 11:31 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 10:58 AM)Filox Wrote:  It is 100% a hardware problem. Viruses can only affect OS, but your laptop can not even boot all the devices, it shuts down in the process of turning on.

This can be due to various things, most common and probable would be: RAM (memory), graphic card, or motherboard. It is less likely that it could be a HDD, but that is a possibility.

If it is the memory, it can be replaced for pretty cheap. If it is the graphic card or the motherboard, since it is the laptop, the cost of repairing would most likely too expensive.

My guess would be - the motherboard.

Sorry.

Haha no need to apologize, I already have another computer. This was a few years ago and I still get shit about it. My parents made me buy my own laptop because of it. This was just for my personal satisfaction Smile

Also, are you familiar with capture cards and how they work? If so I may have another question... (technical, not a "how to" I promise)

Let's try it, shoot. I don't use them, but I did set up a few of them, so...

-Hunter S. Thompson
23-06-2014, 01:39 PM
(23-06-2014 01:12 PM)Filox Wrote:  It really makes no difference, because there is no reason at all to have FAT32 instead of NTFS. NTFS is much better and is used on drives over 4 GB in size. Unless you need it for something very specific...
like this....
(23-06-2014 10:47 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  The XBOX 360 only recognizes FAT32 file systems.

Quote:As for the adapter, it should do nicely. It is a bit better, in some cases, to connect the drive directly to motherboard, but try the USB adapter first.

CHKDSK x: /R - do not forget to use R.

Let me know how it went.

yes. I'm on my way as we speak. Would that be chckdsk x: /R or chckdsk :X /R /f ?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
23-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Ok. I went to the guy, the guy was not home.
Way to setup meetings Facepalm
anyway, when i came back home, i decided to do what i ddin't do because "hey. Friend has adaptor for sata drive. 2 people recommended this. Lets forget about that". I fired up the almighty hirens boot cd. Well, i am now doing my diskcheck. Thanks for the advice
TL;DR
problem being solved

23-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Hiren is good, specially for checking the physical state of the disk, but I am not sure about the tools for repairing Windows... Didn't use it for a while.

And it is not chCkdsk, it's chkdsk. Don't misspell it. r is better than f, does more things, so do it like this:

chkdsk x: /r

If you manage to fix something with Hiren and boot Windows, do the chkdsk thing anyway. Then CCleaner and then Defragler.

Restart.

Cool

-Hunter S. Thompson
23-06-2014, 04:14 PM
(23-06-2014 04:06 PM)Filox Wrote:  Hiren is good, specially for checking the physical state of the disk, but I am not sure about the tools for repairing Windows... Didn't use it for a while.

And it is not chCkdsk, it's chkdsk. Don't misspell it. r is better than f, does more things, so do it like this:

chkdsk x: /r

If you manage to fix something with Hiren and boot Windows, do the chkdsk thing anyway. Then CCleaner and then Defragler.

Restart.

Cool

will do, sir. Thumbsup

23-06-2014, 04:46 PM
O....K....., still not working....
Safe mode still stuck at splash screen.
Any tips?

23-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Both the XBOX and the Playstation, as far as I am aware, only support FAT32. NTSC is way better in every way, but if you plug an NTFS drive in you won't be able to read the data with your device Undecided . Feel free to correct me if you find something better.

FAT32 supports a file index system of up to 4gb. Its a limitation of the design.
23-06-2014, 09:57 PM
(23-06-2014 01:16 PM)Filox Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 11:31 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Haha no need to apologize, I already have another computer. This was a few years ago and I still get shit about it. My parents made me buy my own laptop because of it. This was just for my personal satisfaction Smile

Also, are you familiar with capture cards and how they work? If so I may have another question... (technical, not a "how to" I promise)

Let's try it, shoot. I don't use them, but I did set up a few of them, so...

Okay so I bought a Dell laptop to replace that Compaq that took a shit a few years back. I got into gaming in high school and bought a cheap capture card (EasyCap) to get into making videos. All went well so I bought a Roxio, uninstalled all the shit I needed for the EasyCap and installed all the Roxio shit.

Here's the fun part...never got a video feed. I had a signal and everything was working properly. All divers installed, specs up to code with what was required, tested the installation disk on another computer and it worked fine.

So I reinstalled EasyCap shit and then that wouldn't work either. My best guess is that during the uninstallation of EasyCap it fucked with a video codec, but I have no idea how to fix or replace it. Everything seems to work properly other than any sort of video rendering while attempting to capture a feed from my Xbox (though screen capturing works fine on other programs).

Any clue? Feel free to ask for more information and I'll supply what I can. I still have the Roxio and the laptop. Thanks for your time.

Atir aissom atir imon