Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
08-12-2011, 08:38 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
Filox, would installing a video card circumvent the problem? Or, would I have to remove the broke'd-up onboard one?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2011, 08:42 AM
(08-12-2011 08:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Filox, would installing a video card circumvent the problem? Or, would I have to remove the broke'd-up onboard one?

I'm not Filox, but I play him on TV. Cool

Don't worry about the device on the MB. You'll use Device Manager to tell the OS to not use it, and to use the new card/driver.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2011, 08:51 AM
(08-12-2011 08:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-12-2011 08:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Filox, would installing a video card circumvent the problem? Or, would I have to remove the broke'd-up onboard one?

I'm not Filox, but I play him on TV. Cool

Don't worry about the device on the MB. You'll use Device Manager to tell the OS to not use it, and to use the new card/driver.

Haha, thanks, Chas.

And, I figured as much. This is my first computer that I didn't build myself. I got lazy and went to Wal-Mart. The first time I opened up my computer I literally shouted, "What is all this crap? Where's the video card? Sound card? RAWWWRRRRR"

This is the first time I've ever dealt with onboard stuff.

09-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Most of the on-board graphic cards will automatically shut down when you put in the new one, so your Windows will not even register the on-board one. Just plug in the new one and make sure that you have connected the monitor to the new one, then it will ask you the drivers when you boot up, so put in the cd and let it do its job automatically. And there you go, all set to surf more.

Glad to be of assistance and keep this topic active.

P.S.

On-board cards can not be removed, they are on the MB, so it would not be smart to try and take them off, as you could see when you have opened your computer.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-12-2011, 08:16 AM
(09-12-2011 06:04 AM)Filox Wrote:  Most of the on-board graphic cards will automatically shut down when you put in the new one, so your Windows will not even register the on-board one. Just plug in the new one and make sure that you have connected the monitor to the new one, then it will ask you the drivers when you boot up, so put in the cd and let it do its job automatically. And there you go, all set to surf more.

P.S.

On-board cards can not be removed, they are on the MB, so it would not be smart to try and take them off, as you could see when you have opened your computer.

Wait... I thought you told me to take it off and bake it in the oven?

09-12-2011, 09:51 AM
(09-12-2011 08:16 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 06:04 AM)Filox Wrote:  Most of the on-board graphic cards will automatically shut down when you put in the new one, so your Windows will not even register the on-board one. Just plug in the new one and make sure that you have connected the monitor to the new one, then it will ask you the drivers when you boot up, so put in the cd and let it do its job automatically. And there you go, all set to surf more.

P.S.

I think he was talking about a video card, not the motherboard.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2011, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 09:58 AM by kingschosen.)
(09-12-2011 09:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 08:16 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

P.S.

I think he was talking about a video card, not the motherboard.

No one is talking about a motherboard.
Me
Quote:Ok, this is what's going on with my comp. I'm thinking it's the video card (it's on board).

Filox
Quote:@ kingschosen

These things you see on your screen are called "artifacts", meaning that you graphic card is half dead. Funny, but it can be fixed, if this is not a laptop. Now the question is, are you up to the challenge? What you need is a screwdriver, a bit of thermal paste, lot of patience, one baking oven and a stopwatch. Smile This has happened because some of the connectors have been loose, the connectors of the video memory on your graphic card, to be more precise. What you want to do is take out the card, disassemble it, meaning, you need to take the whole cooling off it, clean it good of all the remains of thermal paste, and put it in the (hot) oven on 200 degrees Celsius (200 ÂșC = 473 K) for 9-11 minutes, I did it exactly 10 minutes and it worked. Now, you have about 50-50 chances that it will be repaired or destroyed completely. If it does not work after the experiment, it is dead, if it works, it should work at least for the next few months, some people say it can work for years, mine was 3 months working, now I need to repeat the process. If you want to do it, I can give you more details about preparing the card.

me
Quote:Thank you Filox, you're awesome. Now, this may seem like a dumb question, but how do I disassemble an onboard video card... like how do I take it off the MB?

Filox
Quote:@ Kingschosen

I thought you were a bit more into taking things apart, if you do not know how to take the graphic card out of the computer, maybe the best thing would be to take the comp to the service and buy a new graphic card. This procedure I have described does require at least some basic knowledge of what you are doing, I can lead you with tutorials, pictures and videos, or you can find all that online, but I will not recommend that, since you do not have the basic knowledge in taking things apart. Nothing bad there, it's normal for people who do not thinker with their electronics, just saying. There is another solution, call some friend who knows what I'm talking about, so there is someone who can show you or help you with things like this.

Feel free to ask further explanations if you want to continue, you have been warned!

10-12-2011, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 08:41 AM by Filox.)
Yes, I was telling you that, but that was before I knew you had on-board graphic card, if I had known that in advance, I wouldn't have given you that advice. You did mention it in one of the posts, but I have not registered that part, so I continued to write as if you were having the classic card. My bad, sorry. Although I think that even the on-board one might be fixed, it does not sound very easy.

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM
(10-12-2011 08:37 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yes, I was telling you that, but that was before I knew you had on-board graphic card, if I had known that in advance, I wouldn't have given you that advice. You did mention it in one of the posts, but I have not registered that part, so I continued to write as if you were having the classic card. My bad, sorry. Although I think that even the on-board one might be fixed, it does not sound very easy.

Smile

lol it's ok. I'm going to raid my old computer and see if my old VC will work.

12-12-2011, 02:38 AM
There might me the compatibility problem, if your older computer uses the AGP type of graphic cards, and newer one uses the PCI-E (Express). If that is the case, they are not compatible, and there is nothing you can do. You can use Google to explain you the differences, but also, you can just look at the connector part and see if it fits normally, or not. Computers are quite simple to take apart and put back together, you can not miss, all the connectors can go only on one side and if they do not fit, they are not for that connector, you can try to push it where it doesn't belong, but it will break. My advise is use the Google, Google is your friend, you can see all the explanations for everything, the "how to" videos are all over Youtube, so just go easy and be patient.

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post