Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
02-07-2014, 02:14 PM
RE: Technology by Filox
(01-07-2014 03:47 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 11:22 AM)Filox Wrote:  Hmmmm... Not really sure. Let me see if I got this right. You have 2 players: https://www.roku.com/meet-roku and http://www.directv.com/technology/connec...s=Header:3 or something like this. Both are wifi devices that connect to the router. The router guides them to the Internet. And now they can't connect. ... That's a bummer.

2 things need to be checked out. First, connect something else on that router and go online. Be sure it can open some web pages. Use laptop, smartphone, tablet, whatever.

Then, take both of those devices (Roku and DirectTVBox) somewhere else, try to connect them to some other router. Separately, then together.

Wait.

Have you tried connecting one device at a time, while the other is turned off? Turn everything off, unplug it for a minute. Then connect the router, make sure it has an internet connection. Then turn on just one of the devices, see how that works. If the first one fails, try the other one. If the other one fails, go back to the beginning of the post and read on until you get to the part where it says "Wait."

Smile

Ah yes, that reminds me. My iPad connects just fine every time I'm there, and my mom is able to connect with her kindle to buy books as well. Just seems odd. They apparently also recently bought a samsung BluRay player with wifi capabilities (to try and bypass the roku to get to Netflix in case the roku was the issue), same problem.

So, seems tablet devices can connect to the router, but not devices like the roku, direct tv on demand box, and the brand new DVD player Consider

Next time I'm over I'll:
  • have my mom turn off her connection on the kindle
  • turn off the connection to my iPad
  • unplug the router
  • give it a minute
  • plug back in
  • make sure the internet appears to be working
  • try to connect just one of the devices having trouble
  • if one doesn't work, try the others
  • if it still can't connect, try taking one to my house to see if it will connect to my router/wifi.

Did I read that right? Big Grin

Thanks so much for your help!! I was just at a loss as to how to trouble shoot something like this.

Excellent. Once you have all the data, we will see how to proceed.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2014, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2014 05:41 PM by Luminon.)
Hi Filox! I've got a software question. I'm contemplating to run Linux parallel on my laptop, because I'm not satisfied with Windows 8. It's huge and slow, especially when waking from hibernation, I am a terrible compulsive tab-hoarding multitasker and the computer is crunching it for almost ten minutes sometimes. I've also had some freezes that required hard restart.

So, I have downloaded the Linux Mint 17 iso, but turns out it's not that simple. The dual booting option can be done by EasyBCD and Linux requires an extra swap partition of the size of RAM.
I've got a big 1 TB hard drive, not even remotely full. The problem is, I've got the 100 GB system partition and right next to it my data partition. There's just 33 gigs left and I don't know how to shrink Windows - delete NVidia drivers, maybe? Even if I could do that, I don't know how to optimize data on the disk, I mean, shift them all the way to the beginning. I tried some optimizing software, but it rather shifted them towards the end of the partition and left some stuff in the middle. No likey.
Right next to this partition are my data, which seem nicely placed in the beginning of partition and would need some shifting to the right or down to make room for the new Linux partitions. I have no idea how to do that, how to tell a defrag software that I need to shift the stuff downwards a few dozen GB. I don't even know how it's called in the computer jargon.
(btw, how big a partition does Mint require? The iso is little over 1 GB, I have read 33 GB should be enough, + 8 gigs for the swap partition)

I considered taking some space from the end of the HD, which has a lot of it. But I know the reading heads would have to skip a lot back and forth between the system and data partitions, over the free space.

Yes, and there are the annoying little OEM partitions, 3-4 or so. I guess this is where the Windows 8 lays its eggs. Well, whatever, I might want to do away with them someday, they look confusing, but they're not a problem now.
16-10-2014, 03:35 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 03:46 AM by Filox.)
Man, just stop right where you are and go find someone who knows what he's doing... Tongue

Seriously, find someone. You can not "explain" to defrag programs where do "you want" to push you data. Defrag programs do that automatically and that has absolutely no effect on your new or old partitions, in the way you think they do. It just helps your HDD to read things faster, nothing else. It will not lower your data GBs.

You will need a new partition for your Linux (maybe more than one partition, OS and swap). About the partition size requirements, I have no idea, you have to read about it, every distribution is a bit different.

I recommend using PartitionMagic or some program like that to make new partitions and it wouldn't hurt to make a backup of everything before you start, because you can easily loose all your data while meddling with new partitions.

Easiest and best thing for you is to get some small new HDD and install your Linux there, do not touch your primary Windows HDD.

I will repeat this one more time, get someone who knows these things.

Also, you might have a problem with hibernation. If you never turn off your laptop, but instead just send it to hibernate state, your Pc is so full of shit, it can never work normally. Hibernation is stupid and should not be used. Turn off your laptop every day after you finish with your work. Close all tabs before that and run Ccleaner every few days. You have probably "killed" your RAM and HDD with hibernation and tons of tabs. Revive them.

-Hunter S. Thompson
16-10-2014, 06:53 AM
(16-10-2014 03:35 AM)Filox Wrote:  Man, just stop right where you are and go find someone who knows what he's doing... Tongue

Seriously, find someone. You can not "explain" to defrag programs where do "you want" to push you data. Defrag programs do that automatically and that has absolutely no effect on your new or old partitions, in the way you think they do. It just helps your HDD to read things faster, nothing else. It will not lower your data GBs.

You will need a new partition for your Linux (maybe more than one partition, OS and swap). About the partition size requirements, I have no idea, you have to read about it, every distribution is a bit different.

I recommend using PartitionMagic or some program like that to make new partitions and it wouldn't hurt to make a backup of everything before you start, because you can easily loose all your data while meddling with new partitions.

Easiest and best thing for you is to get some small new HDD and install your Linux there, do not touch your primary Windows HDD.

I will repeat this one more time, get someone who knows these things.
I know what defrag is Wink I have worked with partitions and Partition Magic before, sorry if it's not apparent. It's a unusual question, that's all.

What I need the most is the ability to do this:

In case the image doesn't display properly, I need to move data within a partition, so I can resize that partition and make room for a new one in front of it.

OK, I have a small external HDD where I can install Linux. But what then, external HD booting? I don't have many USB ports to spare and it's not a permanent solution anyway. I'll probably try it out, if nothing else works...

(16-10-2014 03:35 AM)Filox Wrote:  Also, you might have a problem with hibernation. If you never turn off your laptop, but instead just send it to hibernate state, your Pc is so full of shit, it can never work normally. Hibernation is stupid and should not be used. Turn off your laptop every day after you finish with your work. Close all tabs before that and run Ccleaner every few days. You have probably "killed" your RAM and HDD with hibernation and tons of tabs. Revive them.
I do clean up the shit quite regularly with some rather good programs, so I get away with hibernation most of the time. And closing all the tabs is.... Please, don't make me do this! Gasp
16-10-2014, 08:54 AM
(16-10-2014 06:53 AM)Luminon Wrote:  What I need the most is the ability to do this:

In case the image doesn't display properly, I need to move data within a partition, so I can resize that partition and make room for a new one in front of it.

EaseUS PartitionMaster will do that. If you resize a partition the way you picture, PartitionMaster will automatically move the data.

It can also create backups and images. It is free.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2014, 02:10 PM
(16-10-2014 08:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  EaseUS PartitionMaster will do that. If you resize a partition the way you picture, PartitionMaster will automatically move the data.

It can also create backups and images. It is free.
Thank you! I see it now, the bar really moves with the shift of partition. Turns out I had the Partition Master installed somewhere. I'll give it a try.
21-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Sorry I was away. As Chas said, every program like Partition Magic does this automatically. You just put all your parameters and let it do the work. It will also warn you about how much free space you would need for this operation, because there has to some room to move the data around, but it can all be done on live partition with tons of data, no problems. Any other thing means you have to delete the partition and make 2 new ones and that means you loose the data.

-Hunter S. Thompson
16-11-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm looking for something very specific:

A mouse and/or keyboard that transmits through bluetooth... BUT, they either have charging docks that use wall outlet power, or even better, are wired to plug into wall outlets.

My computer is in a well ventilated closet and feeds hdmi/usb through two walls to my:
- TV (where I'm using IR wireless mini-keyboard trackpad)
- 1440p monitor (where I'm using my wired gaming stuff)

I'm running an HDMI through the ceiling and new wall to a desk in the spare room, which has a nice view to the parkland behind the house. I'm planning on that being my photography editing area, as well as guest and music access point, since the room is also a gym. However, its too far to run USB, and I'd rather not run any extensions with CAT... So I'm looking for bluetooth, but don't want to worry about batteries, or charging (if possible).
03-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Sorry guys, I've been having some personal issues, so I was not here for a while. Cosmos, I don't know exactly what to recommend, but wifi keyboard/mouse is much much better that bluetooth, because of the signal strength.

Now, about my current dilemma...

You all probably know I am a huge Star Trek Online fan and have been playing this game for a few years now. I am running low on my weed for some time now, so my brain has begun to clear up and new ideas are coming into my head. A few days ago I was hit with a question: how can i connect my Prestigio tablet to my PC in a way that it can serve as a controller to my STO game? While debating with myself I came to a few conclusions... Any tablet can easily be used as a remote, wifi keyboard, same as any other smartphone and thus it can controll my PC and the game. BUT. This is Star Trek, so I can not have just any shit on my tablet, it needs to be LCARS made keyboard, so that it resembles the STO GUI. This is something I can most probably find somewhere around Google, but what about an interactive tablet/controller? The problem is that I would like to see some of my basic ship statistics on the tablet and that would make ma tablet into a real motherfucking console from Star Trek, capable of commanding the USS Rudjer Boskovich. Biggest problem here is the game itself has to have support for this thing, most probably.

My question for you would be: do you know anything similar, heard anything like this, know anyone who could do this? Is it doable?

Thank you.

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
03-12-2014, 12:37 PM
OK, some new developments... If I could use my tablet as a secondary, wifi monitor, that would be all I need. I just drag the HUD I need to the secondary monitor (aka tablet) and that is it.

Can a tablet be converted to wifi monitor? Gotta google more...

-Hunter S. Thompson