Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
17-01-2012, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2012 08:51 AM by DeepThought.)
RE: Technology by Filox
Hi Filox, I was hoping about a week ago to say it was fixed!

I kept an eye on the crashing and causes of the game blacking out. I was getting video driver crashes which on win7 the driver restarts on it's own and the game continues running normally.

I went with heat dissipation as the cause for my issues so I got a nice cpu cooler. Since the cooler was better I could get rid of the antec spot cool fan I had positioned over the cpu-voltage regulators/chipset coolers.
[Image: SpotCool_fan.jpg]
I noticed then that the fan was kindof resting on the back of the graphics card. (it's plastic so I figured it wouldn't matter).

The damn problem went away for about a week making me think the spot cool fan has something to do with it.. Then suddenly came back. It's about as random as ram so it's driving me crazy!

The restart issues give a blue screen with error code 'f4'. Once was different but I have to go though my event logs to find it.

I have a boot cd with the latest memtest on it so I might leave that running on a cold day when I want to warm up my room. It's pretty hot weather here at the moment.

The graphics card heatpipes get hot enough to almost burn my hands though I my GPU's can routinely handle core temperatures of roughly 90 degrees C. And the cooler on my card is pretty decent and wouldn't be easy to replace. I'm running the latest nvidia drivers and have reset all the config options to driver defaults.

Oh, and a correction - my ssd is standalone. I'm not mr moneybags so I can't afford to run ssd in raid config Sad
How awesome would 4xSSD's in raid 0 be?
My ssd can saturate a sata connection so I'm happy with that performance.

The raid 5 setup is on 3x 2TB seagate hdd's. The standard disks with moving parts.
Win7 is installed on the ssd for performance and low seek times. I can easily disconnect the raid 5 array and boot up without a problem.

So now I'm looking at either issues with the power supply or ram... It still might be heat related though it seems less likely now.

Edit: The graphics driver crashes seem to have gone away since I removed the Antec spot cool fan. It might still be to early to be certain though. The problem with this fan is the support isn't stiff enough to stay in it's position and support its own weight properly. I have a tower case so the thing would eventually rest on the graphics card thanks to gravity.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2012, 05:13 AM
Can you please give me the full error code of your BSOD so I can do some googling around? This could all be related to the graphic card. Also, can you please do one other thing? If the cooler was resting on the card, have you tried, now that the cooler is removed, to remove the graphic card and put it back in? It may just need to sit right in the sloth now. Do that with RAM as well, just take them out and put them in as they were.

As for the heat, you have a new computer with good cooling system, the CPU can not get over-heated, only the graphics can. Have you tried measuring the heat? Everest, or AIDA now? Try running AIDA (http://www.aida64.com/downloads), leave it running and then start some game, but turn it off before it crashes, then check back with AIDA to see how high you temperature goes under pressure. Also, AIDA and Everest have "Stress Test" where they boost your hard drive, proc, memory to the limits, they overload it so that you can check the stability and temperature. I am not sure about the graphic benchmarks, it is a bit specific area, so playing games would be the best test, I think. Your card should never go over 80 degrees Celsius.

If the temp is a problem, then you will have to do some modifications to your case and cooling, air flow, air intake and outlets... The graphic must have a lot of new air that can quickly get out while it is hot. Or if the graphics is constantly over-heating, then you can use your warranty and get a new one.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
18-01-2012, 08:21 AM
I just found there was a bios update for the graphics card. Something about a bug where it doesn't regulate it's own fan speed properly.

I upgraded the bios to version F82 from version F80
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product...&dl=1#bios

Before the update using aida64 and playing a game with max settings I got ~64deg gpu temp.

I don't know if this is believable though.. When I ran the benchmark with all cpu cores at 100% the cpu got to ~53deg. and the heatpipes only felt kindof warm.

The gpu heatpipes felt like they would burn me if I held if I kept my hand there. Time for me to sleep. I'll test it some more tomorrow.

19-01-2012, 01:58 AM
It is all normal, i7 is one pretty cool processor, it would be very strange if it went above 60 degrees. As for the GPU, if you think about it, it is normal that the heat pipes are hotter than some other parts of the cooling system, they take away the heat, so most of it is in the pipes. The core itself is cooler, because the heat pipes have taken away the extra heat. Logic, no? Smile

And as you have flashed the graphics BIOS, maybe you could flash the motherboard BIOS as well, I would suggest that much sooner than to change the GPU BIOS, but if you did it without failing, than it is all done and good now.

AIDA64 can give you bad temp results only if your heat sensors are bad. Since you have good parts, I seriously doubt that the heat sensors are wrong, those times have passed a long time ago.

Keep testing and posting, we will find the solution.

-Hunter S. Thompson
19-01-2012, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2012 06:34 AM by DeepThought.)
I flashed the bios on the motherboard and put back all the settings. Then I installed 3d Mark 11 and here are some test results:

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2579995
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2580091
I think the lower physics score on the second test was due to having aida64 open to monitor temperatures.

[Image: stabilitytest.png]

I heard my graphics card fans speed up so they seem to be working better now! Your probably right about the heat pipes too. I heard the voltage regulators on the card can easily get to around 95deg but the actual gpu core temp will be much lower so that would explain my burning hands.

I'm going to see if my problem is resolved after reseating the graphics card, ram, flashing the bios and graphics card etc.. I haven't had a crash over the last day so I'll leave my computer running all day tomorrow and see what happens.

20-01-2012, 01:58 AM
The temperature of the graphic card looks OK, that is suppose to be normal in graphics that powerful and they can handle higher temperatures than the rest of the computer.

OK, test on my friend and let us know.

You didn't say what happened with the memtest? Did you test your RAM and did it pass without errors?

-Hunter S. Thompson
27-01-2012, 03:39 AM
Any progress Deep?

-Hunter S. Thompson
29-01-2012, 05:13 AM
Getting a bit slack cos I've been playing Skyrim like a heroin addict. Phew... up to level 40 in 1 week.

The issues I was having are better now though I noticed a new thing which might mean I have to reinstall win 7.

When I originally installed the OS I had my storage controllers (all 3 onboard sata controllers) in legacy ide mode. It saved me having to put in the driver disk. Once everything was installed I switched one of the unused controllers to raid mode and let windows get the right drivers. Then I Connected the drives to the controller with raid mode enabled and everything booted fine.

Now I have this special onboard controller thats connected via a 2 lane pci-e port. Its my highest performing onboard controller and I want to use it for my ssd since it supports the full sata3 data rate of my ssd at least in bursts...

When I put that controller in raid mode windows cant find the drivers. I'm pretty sure I have the right drivers and I'm wondering if it's punishing me for not using the drivers disks on the initial install.

I'm kinda procastinating about reinstalling the os... It's a bit of an ordeal!

What do you think?

29-01-2012, 06:05 AM
Skyrim is excellent! I stopped playing it for a while till they fixed the 2gb memory cap, got tired of the purple texture problem. Now it works! Yay
02-02-2012, 07:00 AM
You can not put only one disk in RAID, you can use RAID only if have more disks connected and you want to make them into one RAID field.

Win7 have AHCI drivers embedded, so you did not need to use any discs while installing your Windows, that was a problem with XP, but I have that sorted out the way I have integrated AHCI drivers into my XP install disc, so I can use AHCI mode normally even on WinXp. It NEEDS to be enabled before you begin installing your Windows, so if you installed it on IDE mode, you will need to reinstall you OS, but first go to BIOS and put the SATA controller to AHCI (or Native-SATA).

If you want to use more disks as one, then use RAID option, but I do not know much about configuring RAID fields, never did it before.

I will repeat again, if you only have one disk for use as a system disk, then you do not need RAID setting, but AHCI, that is the native SATA mode and it will enable you some faster data transfer, and since you have SSD on sata3, you will need and get a lot from AHCI mode, the most possible. On regular 7200rpm disks, the speed difference is not so noticeable, but they say in papers that it gives you around 10% speed up, so on your configuration, it should be significantly more.

Maybe the reinstalling of your OS, with normally configured BIOS settings will clear out the rest of your problems. Also, if you have flashed your BIOS on your motherboard and your graphic card, some drivers can be mixed and need to be changed as well, I had a problem once I have flashed my laptop, my disk controller was changed due to the new BIOS, so I couldn't even get my OS up, at all, I needed to reinstall everything, because BSOD was all I could get.

Save and reinstall. Do not "Repair", or leave your partition as it was, use the option of "quick format" and do a clean install. Before you do it, download all the newest drivers for all your hardware, most important are graphics driver, chipset and disk controller.

Let me know how was it.

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson