Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
27-03-2012, 05:11 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
So Deep, you fixed your comp or what?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces for a while.

It seems to have gone away... There are only a few things that changed.
I managed to stop the hdds from powering down during inactivity. Lots of Win 7 updates and fixes from Microsoft. Thats about it actually..

Confused fingers crossed!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
28-03-2012, 05:18 AM
All praise Microsoft and their updates!

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson
30-03-2012, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 04:00 AM by Filox.)
Here is a little ranting on my side, considering this post and the problems we have seen here...

I got the request to order the most advanced PC I can find (or close to it), so I have chosen this for my client...

i7 Extreme 3.3 GHz (works on 4.2 normally)
Asus p9x79
OCZ Vertex 3, 240GB, SATA3, SSD x2
WD Black 1 TB, 7200rpm
Kingston DDR3 1800MHz, 4x4 (16GB, quad channel)
LG BR-RW...
OCZ Fatal1ty 750W, modular power supply
Thermaltake case (shit of all shits, never again Thermaltake, only Antec!!)
Saphire ATI 6970 (I went for the 7970, but it was more than double the price, yet only a small speed difference)
Corsair H80 water cooling system
Microsoft Win7 Pro, x64 (original)

Everything is great, fast and strong as hell itself. I used 2 SSD disks for RAID 0 (stripe) option (the fast one), made a RAID field, installed Win7 and then while installing something one of the disks just went out of the RAID field, which then collapsed the field and after a while it crashed the OS. So I tried new BIOS, drivers, some options in BIOS, a lot of advices from forums, reinstalled everything at least 5 times, nothing helped. The installation of Win7 would take about 10 minutes from start to finish. Smile Then we tried RAID 1 (mirror) option, not as fast as 0 (stripe), but it is perfect for data protection, as both disks have the same data written on it, so if one fails, the other can continue normally, while the 0 (stripe) option is for speed and performance, but if one disk fails, the whole RAID field collapses and it requires reinstalling the OS, as you loose all your data. Again, the error occurred, only this time both disks have failed, before the Windows were installed. The next day when I wanted to continue on my experiments I realised that now one of the disks is dead completely, the computer could not see it at all. So all this fuss, all these problems, I constantly thought it was the drivers and the RAID, or some compatibility issue, while I had a bad disk... You have no idea how frustrating these things can be, since the person who ordered the comp was waiting for it for a few days and I could not pinpoint the exact error. It made me look bad, while everything cost around 4500-5000$, so I had to provide something worth that kind of money. In the end, it is now a computer with "only" one SSD disk, no RAID, but AHCI mod and it all flies like a jet fighter. I can only imagine how great it would be if the other disk was actually working. Instead of the other disk, I will be asking for the new monitor, since the OS is already installed and there is no time to wait for the replacement disk.

Rant over...

Smile

P.S.
The error I got from RAID was "Error Occurred (0)" on one disk, while the other was "Member", like it should have been.

-Hunter S. Thompson
30-03-2012, 10:01 AM
raid 1 can give similar performance to raid 0 for reading if the raid controller is decent. Same data on both disks so the load can be shared.

I was thinking about getting another ssd and a 4 or 8 lane pci-e sata controller. Not a fan of ATI graphics. They always seem a step behind NVidia lately.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
02-04-2012, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 07:21 AM by Filox.)
And you would be wrong about the ATI cards. nVidia did always have something stronger, but not latelly, now they can even touch the high-end ATI graphics, like 7970. There is nothing in a single-core edition that is even close to 7970. But that will change rather soon, nVidia will not allow it for long.

As for the RAID, it gave so much trouble that I will be leaving that alone for some time. Great, but one Vertex 3 is more that enough.

EDIT:

Sorry, I was just reading that a few days ago this has come out, so it appears that nVivida didn't wait long and you do have a stronger nVidia card. At least for the "most" tests, meaning that not it is still not ultimately stronger than the 7970...

http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/tp/videocards.htm

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
04-05-2012, 05:35 AM
:::BUMP:::

Just wanted to bump this post, so you don't forget we have it...

For you new members, this is the thread where you post your computer/technology issues/problems you are having and I (Filox) will try to solve it for you. Other people help out as well.

Waiting...

-Hunter S. Thompson
02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Software question, Filox.

My digital camera makes .MOV (Quick Time) movies. How can I convert them into a format that is accepted by Youtube easily and free?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-06-2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.filehippo.com/download_any_video_converter/

Free, legal and easy to use. Supports .MOV as well.

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
OK Filox, how about this:

as soon as I start up the Chrome webbrowser (Version 21.0.1155.2 dev), with 5 tabs open, the working temperature of my MacBook Pro (OSX.6.8) shoots up from 55ºC (131ºF) to 95ºC (203ºF).
Since I don't like to cook my machine I killed Chrome.

If I have those exact same tabs/websites open in other browsers, like Safari, Firefox, or Opera, I don't have a temperature issue.

Any idea what this could be? And/or what to do about it?
I shot off an error report to Chrome's developers but didn't get a response yet.