Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
10-01-2013, 12:27 PM
RE: Technology by Filox
(10-01-2013 11:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  For the record, I wasn't the one who suggested taking it apart Tongue
Thanks either way. Sleepy

Seeing that my current internal hard drive has been running for over 18,000 hours (~750 days) and that it has one critical S.M.A.R.T. entry by now, I'm thinking about simply using the external hard drive internally permanently. Would that be possible?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2013, 12:42 PM
(10-01-2013 12:27 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 11:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  For the record, I wasn't the one who suggested taking it apart Tongue
Thanks either way. Sleepy

Seeing that my current internal hard drive has been running for over 18,000 hours (~750 days) and that it has one critical S.M.A.R.T. entry by now, I'm thinking about simply using the external hard drive internally permanently. Would that be possible?
Well, that's what I was planning to do, so like my expert told me, theoretically - yes. Depends on the interface (I think it is SATA, mine was). You'll gonna be needing some cables though. Plus, I think WD comes with some stupid software, so you may have to reformat it.

(I also remember that when I was installing mine, I had to disconnect the DVD-rom - the slot for the extra hard drive was too low for the cable to reach it. Ridiculous!)

I think you will have to ask Filox for detailed, step-by-step instructions Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
16-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Hello and sorry I didn't see this before... So, your USB enclosure has died on you? Good, better that cheap piece of hardware, than the whole disk. If your primary internal hard drive has a critical SMART entry, I would suggest changing it, or else you could loose all your data anytime, you never know when the error will get worse. Also, you might try to fix it with some hard disk testing tool, SeagateSeatools, or the original WD tool, if the disk is WD.

The testing will stress your disk to it's limits, so it might fix it, do nothing, or destroy it even more than it is now. Mostly, it will fix the problem, but I must warn you, even the maker of the application will give you the same warning.

And you always check the warranty before anything else.

In case you need any detailed info, please feel free to continue this.

P.S.

Good think I have my assistants...

Cool

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
19-01-2013, 05:16 AM
(16-01-2013 12:27 AM)Filox Wrote:  Hello and sorry I didn't see this before... So, your USB enclosure has died on you? Good, better that cheap piece of hardware, than the whole disk. If your primary internal hard drive has a critical SMART entry, I would suggest changing it, or else you could loose all your data anytime, you never know when the error will get worse. Also, you might try to fix it with some hard disk testing tool, SeagateSeatools, or the original WD tool, if the disk is WD.

The testing will stress your disk to it's limits, so it might fix it, do nothing, or destroy it even more than it is now. Mostly, it will fix the problem, but I must warn you, even the maker of the application will give you the same warning.

And you always check the warranty before anything else.

In case you need any detailed info, please feel free to continue this.

P.S.

Good think I have my assistants...

Cool
Everything's fine now. I downloaded Microsoft's hard drive synchronization tool SyncToy to create an exact copy of my internal hard drive on my external one and made an online backup of my most important stuff.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
21-01-2013, 03:24 AM
Good, but do a chkdsk anyway, to fix errors on drive, if it has any. The worst thing is to leave it and wait for the worse. Do something, or else the error will manifest when you least expect it and when you forget about it.

Chkdsk was mentioned a few posts back, so just go back a bit and there you have more detailed explanation.

-Hunter S. Thompson
23-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Hey, guru, any idea why Opera refuses to let me mask it as IE? Yahoo! Mail stopped working with it (again), won't let me write mails (read - yes, write - no) and I hate using IE.

23-01-2013, 03:20 PM
No idea.

Maybe have Chrome or Firefox as backup? And loose the Yahoo Anything, it sucks, not the Orera.

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
23-01-2013, 03:32 PM
(23-01-2013 03:20 PM)Filox Wrote:  No idea.

Maybe have Chrome or Firefox as backup? And loose the Yahoo Anything, it sucks, not the Orera.
Dodgy

Ain't using Firefox. No way, no how, Will fix it (have done it before...) and I know yahoo sucks, but that's my very first mail provider, everyone I've ever known writes me there. Too much hassle changing it.

24-01-2013, 06:02 AM
Or you could forward all the emails to a different email, like... gmail? Also, my first suggestion was Chrome, not Firefox, and Chrome is a great web browser.

-Hunter S. Thompson
24-02-2013, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2013 03:31 AM by amav.eram.)
Hi Filox

Can you help with a "kernel panic: failed to load VFS" error on Slackware linux 14 after compiling a new kernel?
I have read that it is related to a missing initrd file, I have used makeinitrd -o /boot/initrd.$(uname -r).img $(uname -r) and added the initrd path to my lilo.conf file, but so far no luck...
any suggestions?

Regards

Amav.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Technology Thread TheBeardedDude 17 622 20-04-2013 11:45 AM
Last Post: TheBeardedDude
  Dang it, Filox kingschosen 7 641 11-04-2012 11:59 PM
Last Post: houseofcantor