Technology by Filox

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
06-05-2013, 02:10 PM
RE: Technology by Filox
(05-05-2013 04:14 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The fan, it's not spinning as fast as it usually does.
If that is the problem then perhaps I can simply adjust the fan speed with a piece software or in bios...

Shit. Just replace the CPU fan. If money is an issue, go to a thrift store or yard sale, find a couple of cheap-shit computers, and cannibalize.
________
Kind of like foraging for aluminum cans to exchange, you could actually start your own little strip-down project ... there's money in scrap metals or for techno parts themselves - computers, phones, etc.,.

There are even YouTube videos of guys stripping down phones or computers for their metals and materials. Here and here and here. If I weren't so lazy, disorganized, and uninterested, I'd do it myself. Shy

There's a business project for you Muffy! All you gotta do is tear shit up. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 12:28 AM
You assume that I'm not lazy and disorganized too Kim. Tongue

I've reset the bios, no difference.
And yes the cpu fan is connected to the right point on the mobo. It's plugged into "CPU Fan".

The only thing keeping it from over heating right now is a my desk fan pointed directly at it (which is making my feet cold so I now have to wear socks...). Without my desk fan it just overheats no matter what I do.
I think it's safe to assume that it's well and truly fucked.

I went into my local computer place, a new cpu heat sink is $70..
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
07-05-2013, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 03:28 AM by amav.eram.)
**Sorry for butting in here**

**BTW Earmuffs, $70 for a heat sink seems a bit steep. Here is a NZ site that I deal with for parts that I've found quite good(no, I didn't get THESE parts from there)... http://techworld.co.nz/coolers-c-1_43_47.html **

So...I have just been through an interesting evening trying to diagnose a hardware fault of my own, and thought I might post it just for the fact that neither I nor other techs I have talked to have come across these symptoms before...and perhaps for a second opinion.

System:

Processor: AMD Phenom x4 965 Black edition(default 3.6ghz, oced to 4.1ghz)
Heatsink: Thermaltake Typhoon VX
Mobo: Asus M4N68T-M AM3 mATX
RAM: 2x 4GB Corsair Dominator 1600mhz
PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 700w
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 6450 1GB
Case: Thermaltake Xaser 3-fan tower, all fans on full at all times
Dual monitor setup, one screen HDMI @ 720p, other DVI

After having my computer hang for over 10 minutes while using a few cpu-intensive programs (cpu at 100% in sidebar monitor), I performed a hard power off. At next boot, I was met with a BSOD stating that winload.exe could not be found...solution seemed simple enough...I inserted Windows 8 install disc to perform Repair. Upon booting Windows 8 install disc I encountered another BSOD same as before. Next boot, all monitors were blank with a blinking cursor in the corner...was not even posting. After that each reboot/power on was met with either a message saying "bad checksum, entering BIOS recovery, insert USB stick to flash bios", or the same blank screen with flashing cursor.

It seemed from the message I was getting that the problem would be either a bad CMOS/bad motherboard/bad processor...however as usual I performed the first step of troubleshooting and stripped the computer down for a bare-bones boot. To my surprise it booted just fine, performed diagnostics and after a system restore booted into Windows 8...after which check disk reported hard drive as fine.

After adding each component back in, I found that the issue was actually a bad stick of RAM...which is surprising as I purchased the RAM only a month ago.

Now with everything back in, except the culprit RAM, all is stable.

Now the thing that I'm wondering about is why would a bad stick of RAM stop a system from POSTing...more than that, is it usual for faulty RAM to affect BIOS function? As in all my prior experiences with faulty RAM, the system will at least POST before errors start happening. Could there be an underlying factor such as a faulty mobo that caused the RAM to go...is there a way to test for this without replacing mobo??

Regards

Amav
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2013, 03:51 AM
In my experience Amav, there is not a single good computer person in this whole country.
So when you say that all the technicians have no idea, of course not, all they know what to do is reset everything to default and charge you through the roof.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Oh Amav, you are so wrong. Faulty RAM can do anything. From not even starting your PC, automatically shutting it down, post BIOS, pre BIOS, BSOD, freezing... When your computer starts booting, every action it starts, it loads into RAM, from some CMOS parts, to basic hardware drivers, to basic OS loader and then finally the whole OS... It is the most basic part of PC. The fact that you bought it recently means nothing, as it can come with errors from factory. That is why you have a warranty and you should always keep the original box, warranty and the bill.

Muffs, I think the same thing can be said for your case, warranty? Do you still have a legal warranty on your motherboard? If you do, maybe it would be good to use it.

Also, you said you can budge your cooling system, when you wanted to take it off. That is because the heat paste has hardened and it now holds your passive cooling part like glue. I am used to this, so I just slightly rotate it while trying to "rip" it apart. I would NOT recommend you to do this, as I can not see exactly what is going on, and if you failed to do all the steps before this, you will break something, and that is not good. If you had a camera and skype on laptop, then a video-conference would be in order. I can guide you much easier and safer that way.

If your fan fails to spin correctly, something is fishy here... I shall look into this particular problem, now that we have narrowed it down.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
07-05-2013, 04:56 AM
Technology lesson learned/taught this week:
Don't attach storage via iSCSI to a server blade in a layer 2 network that stretches across sites. Ie don't set up a possible path from the server to its storage of server -> local switch 1 -> remote switch 2 -> remote switch 1 -> local switch 2 -> storage server -> disks.
Especially when the server has 30 virtual machines on it who are vying for 1Gbps bandwidth, where all of the inter-switch hops are potentially competing with other network traffic.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
07-05-2013, 05:17 AM
Hello Filox!
I need an advice. Recently, my trusty mp3 player died. It was Cowon iAudio 7 with 8 GB memory. It had a clunky interface, but all the fancy functions beneath it, functions like remembering where I stopped playing, and bookmarks. And playlist by folders, not by tags or artists. And it had a greaaaat battery life. 50 hours or so.

I thought about buying iAudio 9. Not so great battery life but bigger capacity... But then I thought, hey, my cell phone sucks. It's not a smartphone (more like dumbphone thanks to Symbian) and doesn't even have wifi. I've been using it for a while to play music and now I understand why did someone throw it out in the park where I found it Tongue

So I want to ask, is it a good idea to buy a cell phone both to view offline maps of the city (big deal for me) and play music and podcasts (even bigger deal)? In my currency I'd have about 200 bucks to spend, tops. But I'd like something with Android.
07-05-2013, 08:31 AM
(07-05-2013 05:17 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Hello Filox!
I need an advice. Recently, my trusty mp3 player died. It was Cowon iAudio 7 with 8 GB memory. It had a clunky interface, but all the fancy functions beneath it, functions like remembering where I stopped playing, and bookmarks. And playlist by folders, not by tags or artists. And it had a greaaaat battery life. 50 hours or so.

I thought about buying iAudio 9. Not so great battery life but bigger capacity... But then I thought, hey, my cell phone sucks. It's not a smartphone (more like dumbphone thanks to Symbian) and doesn't even have wifi. I've been using it for a while to play music and now I understand why did someone throw it out in the park where I found it Tongue

So I want to ask, is it a good idea to buy a cell phone both to view offline maps of the city (big deal for me) and play music and podcasts (even bigger deal)? In my currency I'd have about 200 bucks to spend, tops. But I'd like something with Android.
Man! Are you insane? Using a mobile phone for playing music (I feel dirty just typing this!) after you've been using a Cowon? Blink

I think I need something stronger than tea to recover!

(I can still remember how horrible an Ipod sounded after I'd been using the Cowon for a while. Hurt my ears, literally!)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
07-05-2013, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 11:53 AM by Luminon.)
(07-05-2013 08:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  Man! Are you insane? Using a mobile phone for playing music (I feel dirty just typing this!) after you've been using a Cowon? Blink

(I can still remember how horrible an Ipod sounded after I'd been using the Cowon for a while. Hurt my ears, literally!)
Not insane, just desperate and slightly deaf, I suspect.
Anyway, right now I use the phone mostly to listen to podcasts and computerized speech from all the texts I should read but don't have time for.
07-05-2013, 08:56 PM
(07-05-2013 08:31 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 05:17 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Hello Filox!

Man! Are you insane? Using a mobile phone for playing music (I feel dirty just typing this!) after you've been using a Cowon? Blink

What is the difference in signal to noise ratios and bandwidth (frequency response) between the two devices? I've never used a Cowan but I do use my smartphone to store and listen to music and as an old time audiophile, I would hate to think there was something above 16K or below 35 that I wasn't hearing.

Does a high bit rate audio file have a lower bandwidth on a phone's analogue output than it does on a Cowan's?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user