[Image: Foto0876.jpg]

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2014, 12:32 AM
RE: Technology by Filox
(25-06-2014 11:48 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  [Image: Foto0876.jpg]

This error is something about SMART... It can be that there is something wrong with that drive, or it could be that SMART is just faulty. Best thing would be to check that other hard drive.

It is Western Digital, you can use chkdsk, but I suggest Spinrite - https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm , or SeaTools from Seagate - http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ (it does not matter that your HDD is WD, not Seagate)

If SeaTools or Spinrite say your HDD is OK, then just go to BIOS and turn off SMART for your HDD. It is not something very important, or very reliable and it can give you faulty readings.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
29-06-2014, 04:32 AM
wow... an ide hdd... They still exist?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
29-06-2014, 08:34 AM
(29-06-2014 04:32 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  wow... an ide hdd... They still exist?

You'd be surprised. I just got an old PC for a check up. My friend asked me to look at his father's computer, he says that it's really slow and that he can't work on it any more, if I could clean it up a bit...

It's not that I mind old hardware, but when I saw Windows 98 SE label on it, I was a bit ... worried. Facepalm What the hell am I going to do with a Win98 machine? How, in Gods name, is anyone going to speed this shit up, is beyond me.

Worst thing of all, my secondary monitor is not here, so I have to use my primary monitor while playing with this old junk and that means I can't use my PC ...

Most boring Sunday afternoon ever!

-Hunter S. Thompson
29-06-2014, 01:52 PM
(29-06-2014 08:34 AM)Filox Wrote:  

You'd be surprised. I just got an old PC for a check up. My friend asked me to look at his father's computer, he says that it's really slow and that he can't work on it any more, if I could clean it up a bit...

It's not that I mind old hardware, but when I saw Windows 98 SE label on it, I was a bit ... worried. Facepalm What the hell am I going to do with a Win98 machine? How, in Gods name, is anyone going to speed this shit up, is beyond me.

Worst thing of all, my secondary monitor is not here, so I have to use my primary monitor while playing with this old junk and that means I can't use my PC ...

Mexico vs. the Netherlands was pretty exciting.

#sigh
30-06-2014, 04:57 AM
(29-06-2014 01:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-06-2014 08:34 AM)Filox Wrote:  You'd be surprised. I just got an old PC for a check up. My friend asked me to look at his father's computer, he says that it's really slow and that he can't work on it any more, if I could clean it up a bit...

Mexico vs. the Netherlands was pretty exciting.

Not watching football for the next 4 years...

-Hunter S. Thompson
30-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Hey Filox, my parents are having a curious problem with their wifi. They've got a roku and a direct tv on demand box that both worked fine with the wifi, then suddenly neither of them could connect. They had Mediacom come out, they said the router was the issue, and to get a new one. They got a new one, still no luck.

I went over there and played with it a bit. When you go to select a network to connect with, their network is at the top of the list, and shows a strong full signal. You type in the password to connect, and the password checks out as correct, but neither of the devices will connect.

Anything you can think of that might be causing the issue? I'm just not sure where to send them for help since Mediacom was of no use.

Thanks for any help you can offer Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Hmmmm... Not really sure. Let me see if I got this right. You have 2 players: https://www.roku.com/meet-roku and http://www.directv.com/technology/connec...s=Header:3 or something like this. Both are wifi devices that connect to the router. The router guides them to the Internet. And now they can't connect. ... That's a bummer.

2 things need to be checked out. First, connect something else on that router and go online. Be sure it can open some web pages. Use laptop, smartphone, tablet, whatever.

Then, take both of those devices (Roku and DirectTVBox) somewhere else, try to connect them to some other router. Separately, then together.

Wait.

Have you tried connecting one device at a time, while the other is turned off? Turn everything off, unplug it for a minute. Then connect the router, make sure it has an internet connection. Then turn on just one of the devices, see how that works. If the first one fails, try the other one. If the other one fails, go back to the beginning of the post and read on until you get to the part where it says "Wait."

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
01-07-2014, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2014 03:52 PM by Smercury44.)
(01-07-2014 11:22 AM)Filox Wrote:  Hmmmm... Not really sure. Let me see if I got this right. You have 2 players: https://www.roku.com/meet-roku and http://www.directv.com/technology/connec...s=Header:3 or something like this. Both are wifi devices that connect to the router. The router guides them to the Internet. And now they can't connect. ... That's a bummer.

2 things need to be checked out. First, connect something else on that router and go online. Be sure it can open some web pages. Use laptop, smartphone, tablet, whatever.

Then, take both of those devices (Roku and DirectTVBox) somewhere else, try to connect them to some other router. Separately, then together.

Wait.

Have you tried connecting one device at a time, while the other is turned off? Turn everything off, unplug it for a minute. Then connect the router, make sure it has an internet connection. Then turn on just one of the devices, see how that works. If the first one fails, try the other one. If the other one fails, go back to the beginning of the post and read on until you get to the part where it says "Wait."

Smile

Ah yes, that reminds me. My iPad connects just fine every time I'm there, and my mom is able to connect with her kindle to buy books as well. Just seems odd. They apparently also recently bought a samsung BluRay player with wifi capabilities (to try and bypass the roku to get to Netflix in case the roku was the issue), same problem.

So, seems tablet devices can connect to the router, but not devices like the roku, direct tv on demand box, and the brand new DVD player Consider

Next time I'm over I'll:
  • have my mom turn off her connection on the kindle
  • turn off the connection to my iPad
  • unplug the router
  • give it a minute
  • plug back in
  • make sure the internet appears to be working
  • try to connect just one of the devices having trouble
  • if one doesn't work, try the others
  • if it still can't connect, try taking one to my house to see if it will connect to my router/wifi.

Did I read that right? Big Grin

Thanks so much for your help!! I was just at a loss as to how to trouble shoot something like this.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
01-07-2014, 04:14 PM

yep. And i don't suppose it helps that one of them is 12 years old.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....