Ted Cruz 101

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2016, 09:29 AM
RE: Ted Cruz 101
(24-03-2016 06:36 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 06:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  You're letting your decisions be run by fear. Yes, the thought of a terrorist killing a bunch of innocent people is scary, but it's also statistically insignificant. Resorting to profiling, banning, or detention to "solve"* a relatively minor problem seems both disproportionate and flat-out ineffective. There are way bigger threats to public health and safety out there than Islamic terrorism, and people are unwilling to take small measures to reduce them, let alone these types of drastic measures.

The number of people in the US who die annually from tobacco use is something like four (or five?) orders of magnitude higher than the number of US citizens killed by terrorists each year. Think about how many American lives we'd save if we flat-out banned the sale and use of tobacco. Now, would you consider that to be dangerous government overreach if we did that? Would the lives saved not justify the action on behalf of the government? Now, think about all of the non-violent Muslims who actually like this country. Is it worth violating their freedoms to potentially save a much fewer number of American lives?

Also, just to preempt you from saying the problem with my tobacco analogy is one of choice: the CDC also cites 42,000 second hand smoke deaths annually. So, we're still looking at over a hundred people dying from smoke they didn't want to smoke for every one killed by a terrorist.

*I have no reason to believe that these steps would actually reduce Islamic terrorism in the US, and I could see it leading to an increase.

Would you consider it fascism if the government were to start similarly probing churches to look for right-wing extremists? More people die in the US annually from white, right-wing extremists (who are curiously not called terrorists in the media) than are killed by Muslim terrorists.

Stop letting fear govern your political beliefs.

You understand the ACA is a monument to compromise, right? That's part of why a lot of liberals hate it; it was watered down so much to try and get people from across the lines to vote for it.

I just want to jump in here and point out that nobody from "across the lines" voted for the ACA. It passed with ZERO Republican support. They could have passed single payer, or anything they wanted. Instead they passed Grubercare, and made insurance companies even more rich. Saw a report today that health insurance costs are up 28% but wages are only up like 6% over the same period. The ACA is a failure.

SO let's see you post the increase in costs in the years before the ACA, and how much higher, annually, the increase was, each year, than the average before the ACA.

Then post the evidence that "insurance companies are "even more rich".

BTW, Pee Wee Cruz said make his insulting remark about "New York values". His damn wife WORKED for Goldman Sachs. He lives and eats because of New York values. Fucking hypocrite.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2016, 02:02 PM
(24-03-2016 06:45 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 04:21 AM)julep Wrote:  Yes, he is a fanatic, just from the Christian side and not from the Muslim side. So are you.
baseless argument
(24-03-2016 04:21 AM)julep Wrote:  As for whether I care about "those people who died in Brussels", fuck off. Repping you back down.
Consider stupid comment

I've read enough history and experienced enough fanatics to know I don't want fanatics in charge of my government. I don't think there's much difference but degree and amount of power granted by the authorities between Cruz or you or other fanatics who turn violent when they get the chance. Unfortunately, your responses repeatedly demonstrate that you have surrendered whatever critical thinking capacity you might have to your cult and your cult's favored political party.

Stupid comment: yes, yours was. As well as vile, although it is far from the vilest thing you have written. Remember your numerous posts supporting child molestation? I do, and I don't believe for one second that they were "just jokes" or an incredibly moronic debate strategy. So, yeah, fuck off.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
26-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Every time I see Donald Trump or Ted Cruz rallies I can't help but think of Trashcan Man. My life for you!

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-03-2016, 03:52 PM
(24-03-2016 05:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 10:33 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I do too but there is no way that Ted Cruz can rectify that. Ted Cruz will do nothing except strip Americans of more constitutional rights and then tell us to pray for safety.
please, list(name) all those rights that are written in the Constitution and which Cruz in your opinion will take away from us.

The 4th amendment -- search and seizure

The 5th amendment -- self incrimination
The 5th amendment -- due process

The 8th amendment -- cruel and unusual punishment

If you look at SCOTUS opinions since 1964, it has been conservative justices who have made cuts into the rights listed above. Those cuts are too many to list but they have done it out of FEAR, fear of drug dealers, fear of terrorists, fear of criminals generally. Go visit any criminal defense lawyer who has been practicing since the 1960s and ask what the conservative justices have done to Mapp vs. Ohio. Essentially they have gutted the 4th amendment.
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
26-03-2016, 05:14 PM
I think that Ted Cruz looks like Bill Murray --- if Bill has his sense of humor surgically removed.......................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Never saw the movie -- but have read the full version of "The Stand" several times..............

Great story -- in spite of the "gawd" nonsense...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-03-2016, 05:48 PM
(23-03-2016 05:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 05:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  In a statement posted to his Facebook account, Cruz criticized European nations for allowing migrants into their countries, saying, “Our European allies are now seeing what comes of a toxic mix of migrants who have been infiltrated by terrorists and isolated, radical Muslim neighborhoods. We will do what we can to help them fight this scourge, and redouble our efforts to make sure it does not happen here. We need to immediately halt the flow of refugees from countries with a significant al Qaida or ISIS presence. We need to empower law enforcement to patrol and secure Muslim neighborhoods before they become radicalized, ... The days of the United States voluntarily surrendering to the enemy to show how progressive and enlightened we are at [sic] an end.” he wrote.

This is the textbook definition of fascism. The same arguments were used to persecute the Church of Latter Day Saints in their nascence. I don't see Cruz the Christian responding to the terror that the Christian Lord's Resistance Army has reigned down on central Africa. Cruz and Trump are "convenient Christians" looking for votes so they can then ignore Christian principles completely. Kasich on the other hand is good people.

Trump is a lying, hypocritical piece of shit. Cruz, however, is a loony fundie and a dangerous religio-fascist.

I can't imagine having to decide which one of these two idiots to vote for. It's like a Bizarro World version of Sophie's Choice. Everything is in reverse.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-03-2016, 07:43 PM
So... Donald Trump first claimed to be of Swedish descent. Then he changed his mind and admitted to being of German origin with the surname Drumpf. Anyway... "Trump" is an actual name, but of English origin, with no Germanic connection. According to linguistic sources it is a "metonymic occupational name for a trumpeter, from the Middle English trumpe [trumpet]".

Can a bloke who repeatedly hides or denies his ancestral origins be trusted to have his finger on "the" red button—as commander in chief of the US armed forces? A bloke who makes appearances on crappy TV reality shows, a FOUR times former bankrupt, opposes any sort of gun controls, supports the death sentence, opposes same-sex marriage, supports increased fracking, been involved in 150 lawsuits in US federal courts, did business with construction companies linked to the Italian-American Mafia, and calling global warming a total hoax.

Drumpf also says: "I'm a protestant, I'm a Presbyterian. And you know I've had a good relationship with the church over the years. I think religion is a wonderful thing. I think my religion is a wonderful religion".

Even his forebear countrymen describe Drumpf as "The World's Most Dangerous Man" —[SPIEGEL Online, 1 Feb 16]

Donald Trump is the leader of a new, hate-filled authoritarian movement. Nothing would be more harmful to the idea of the West and world peace than if he were to be elected president... "Believe me, I'll change things. And again, we're going to be so respected. I don't want to use the word feared, he told [an] audience. But that is precisely what Trump wants: to be feared. His bid for the White House, long ridiculed, is a fight for a ruthless, brutal America. Behind his campaign slogan "Make America great again!" is the vision of a country that no longer cares about international treaties, ethnic minorities or established standards of decency... [he] embodies a new harshness and brutality, and both a physical and emotional crudeness.

Trump has launched an uprising of the indecent, one that is now much bigger than he himself, a popular movement of white, conservative America that after eight years under Democratic President Barack Obama, yearns for a leader who will usher in the counter-revolution... studies have shown that Trump speaks at a fourth-grade reading level... "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters, okay?" Trump said at a rally in Iowa... He mimicked shooting a pistol with his finger and added: "It's like, incredible!"... His foreign policy essentially boils down to a bizarre mix of isolationism and a simultaneous show of superiority through a military build-up. "I'm the most militaristic person there is," Trump says.

I know as an Aussie that I'm—to put it mildly—a little concerned that this ignorant, arrogant, militaristic buffoon could soon be defining the course my country, of necessity, takes as we blindly follow the Americans into a potential Armageddon with China and North Korea.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
27-03-2016, 05:51 AM
I wonder if that sex scandal Cruz is involved in is legit. The tabloid newspaper that broke the story is the same one that exposed Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky, so I'd be hesitant to dismiss it immediately.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-03-2016, 11:08 AM
(27-03-2016 05:51 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I wonder if that sex scandal Cruz is involved in is legit. The tabloid newspaper that broke the story is the same one that exposed Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky, so I'd be hesitant to dismiss it immediately.

I thought that politician cheating on their spouse was some sort of tradition a bit like kissing babies that aren't theirs or talking about families and middle class people without knowing much about family since they don't see or are involved in theirs that much, neither know how it is to live with an average wage (or be capable of assessing an average wage correctly).

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post