Ted Cruz Taking Steps To Renounce Canadian Citizenship

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2014, 12:15 AM
RE: Ted Cruz Taking Steps To Renounce Canadian Citizenship
(03-01-2014 10:34 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  You are correct. They recently polled how likely Americans would be to vote for an atheist and the figure was in the 30 or 40 percent range. They also polled how likely Americans would vote for an openly gay candidate and the figure was in the 60's

The scary part is that the US is going backwards. In the 18th century the US elected atheists as President, and it was a non-issue. Now people like Jefferson and Lincoln would be unelectable. The Federal government refused to acknowledge Christmas lest it be blurring church & state, and Lincoln voted an attempt to have a Christmas tree at the white house. Now, if it's called a 'holiday tree', that's considered a war on Christianity. And President James Buchanan was gay, everybody knew it, and it was a non-issue. His partner, Senator Rufus, was introduced as his "wife", the President spoke of them sleeping in the same bed, and when Rufus went to France, he wrote how lonely he was and how he was "wooing gentlemen" (I think that was the 18th century way of saying "cruising for cock").

The middle east is even more profound. Iran had equal rights for women before much of Europe, and they could hold office. They were a prosperous, industrious, well educated people. The first physicist to calculate the speed of light, and the first commercial gas-powered laser came from Iran. They even had their own space program. Then in the 1950's the US overthrew a peaceful, democratically elected country that hadn't been at war for nearly 200 years, putting in place a dictator who would let us steal Iran's oil and not have to pay for it. Now look at the country. The worse things got, the more fanatical the people.

I really do worry about the US's future. Especially as the poor and middle class keep getting poorer and poorer which combined with the total annihilation of the public education system, it's a perfect recipe for a fanatical, ultra-hard line religious populace.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes frankksj's post
04-01-2014, 08:12 AM
(04-01-2014 12:15 AM)frankksj Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 10:34 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  You are correct. They recently polled how likely Americans would be to vote for an atheist and the figure was in the 30 or 40 percent range. They also polled how likely Americans would vote for an openly gay candidate and the figure was in the 60's

The scary part is that the US is going backwards. In the 18th century the US elected atheists as President, and it was a non-issue. Now people like Jefferson and Lincoln would be unelectable. The Federal government refused to acknowledge Christmas lest it be blurring church & state, and Lincoln voted an attempt to have a Christmas tree at the white house. Now, if it's called a 'holiday tree', that's considered a war on Christianity. And President James Buchanan was gay, everybody knew it, and it was a non-issue. His partner, Senator Rufus, was introduced as his "wife", the President spoke of them sleeping in the same bed, and when Rufus went to France, he wrote how lonely he was and how he was "wooing gentlemen" (I think that was the 18th century way of saying "cruising for cock").

The middle east is even more profound. Iran had equal rights for women before much of Europe, and they could hold office. They were a prosperous, industrious, well educated people. The first physicist to calculate the speed of light, and the first commercial gas-powered laser came from Iran. They even had their own space program. Then in the 1950's the US overthrew a peaceful, democratically elected country that hadn't been at war for nearly 200 years, putting in place a dictator who would let us steal Iran's oil and not have to pay for it. Now look at the country. The worse things got, the more fanatical the people.

I really do worry about the US's future. Especially as the poor and middle class keep getting poorer and poorer which combined with the total annihilation of the public education system, it's a perfect recipe for a fanatical, ultra-hard line religious populace.

Thanks for your observations Frank.

I just watched a talk by Neil DeGrasse Tyson where he makes this point about Arabs in the 9th-12th centuries before a fundamentalist theologian polarized science and math. Arabs haven't returned to that era of innovation and progress since.

It's really a shame what's happened to Iran. I come across a lot of Persian people where I live and they all have stories to tell, great people to hang out with.

I've heard that a lot of the conservative Christians in colonial US that thought that the revolution was a violation of Romans 13 fled to Canada. Does that account for the 'nonissueness' for Jefferson to hold office?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
04-01-2014, 08:29 AM
I think the common thread in Europe, especially the UK is one of worry. Politically and culturally we've had an excellent relationship with America but we can't see it remaining strong if USA becomes increasingly fundamentalist. ... It's very different over here, opposite in some ways. Tony Blair turned out to be a mentalist for god (apparently god told him to invade Iraq) but he had sense enough to not go public with just how religious he is until his time as Prime minister was over.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
04-01-2014, 08:38 AM
(04-01-2014 08:29 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I think the common thread in Europe, especially the UK is one of worry. Politically and culturally we've had an excellent relationship with America but we can't see it remaining strong if USA becomes increasingly fundamentalist. ... It's very different over here, opposite in some ways. Tony Blair turned out to be a mentalist for god (apparently god told him to invade Iraq) but he had sense enough to not go public with just how religious he is until his time as Prime minister was over.

"excellent releationship"....

When I look at the UK from where I live it is actualy very hard to determine which union on which side of the atlantic you are actualy part of.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.