Teen Beaten to Death in New York Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2015, 04:50 PM
RE: Teen Beaten to Death in New York Church
The point that I was simply trying to make is that there is no absolute proof that God does not exist. If this absolute proof exist then why is there still religion? Then again, science can't study something that is assumed to be spiritual. Why is atheism a religion? This might explain. Btw...I am only saying this to make a point and in no way shows my own point of view but rather to understand what theist think about atheist.

Atheism: The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then magically exploded for no reason, creating everything then a bunch of everything magically rearranged for no reason what so ever into self-replicating tiny bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

Now I know this is a very sarcastic explanation of the origins of the universe but it is a crude way of showing that atheism in fact does require faith in order to believe said paragraph above is true.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2015, 04:55 PM
(19-10-2015 04:50 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The point that I was simply trying to make is that there is no absolute proof that God does not exist. If this absolute proof exist then why is there still religion? Then again, science can't study something that is assumed to be spiritual. Why is atheism a religion? This might explain. Btw...I am only saying this to make a point and in no way shows my own point of view but rather to understand what theist think about atheist.

Atheism: The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then magically exploded for no reason, creating everything then a bunch of everything magically rearranged for no reason what so ever into self-replicating tiny bits which then turned into dinosaurs.

Now I know this is a very sarcastic explanation of the origins of the universe but it is a crude way of showing that atheism in fact does require faith in order to believe said paragraph above is true.

Sorry sonny boy....

The magic stuff is all firmly rooted in the religious camp.

You don't need faith to be an atheist. You don't need or expect magic.

You just have to be willing to admit that you're not best buddies with some invisible avenger that created everything.

The universe is. That's pretty evident.

The "creator"?

Less so.... Far less so.

In fact, there's no evidence whatsoever.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-10-2015, 05:08 PM
No. Faith is the belief is something that does not have proof to exist. Science has still yet to prove the origin of the universe and has yet to prove that their is no god. Most theist (although not all) will openly say that they can't prove the existence of God. Thus they admit that it is because of faith alone that they believe. Most atheist (however not all of them) will deny the fact that science still has not been able to prove the non-existence of God and will deny that the foundation of what they believe does in fact require faith.
19-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Thus... atheism is a religion.
19-10-2015, 05:21 PM
(19-10-2015 05:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  No. Faith is the belief is something that does not have proof to exist.

Yes, that's correct. Faith is belief in things unseen without any rational reason to believe.

(19-10-2015 05:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Most atheist (however not all of them) will deny the fact that science still has not been able to prove the non-existence of God and will deny that the foundation of what they believe does in fact require faith.

Now you're just being silly. The lack of faith does not require faith. You silly boy. I don't need faith to know I am faithless.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-10-2015, 05:24 PM
(19-10-2015 05:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-10-2015 05:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  No. Faith is the belief is something that does not have proof to exist.

Yes, that's correct. Faith is belief in things unseen without any rational reason to believe.

(19-10-2015 05:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Most atheist (however not all of them) will deny the fact that science still has not been able to prove the non-existence of God and will deny that the foundation of what they believe does in fact require faith.

Now you're just being silly. The lack of faith does not require faith. You silly boy. I don't need faith to know I am faithless.
So what you're saying is "I don't believe God exist and I don't believe God does no exist"?
19-10-2015, 05:33 PM
Apparently Jason has never heard the phrase "I don't know."
19-10-2015, 05:38 PM
Sorry I meant to say does not exist not does no exist. Lol
(19-10-2015 05:08 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  No. Faith is the belief is something that does not have proof to exist. Science has still yet to prove the origin of the universe and has yet to prove that their is no god. Most theist (although not all) will openly say that they can't prove the existence of God. Thus they admit that it is because of faith alone that they believe. Most atheist (however not all of them) will deny the fact that science still has not been able to prove the non-existence of God and will deny that the foundation of what they believe does in fact require faith.

Blink

Atheism is not religion, lets look at what religion is: A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence...an anthropological category. Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that are intended to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe.

Many religions may have organized behaviors, clergy, a definition of what constitutes adherence or membership, holy places, and scriptures. The practice of a religion may also include rituals, sermons, commemoration or veneration of a deity, gods or goddesses, sacrifices, festivals, feasts, trance, initiations, funerary services, matrimonial services, meditation, prayer, music, art, dance, public service or other aspects of human culture. Religions may also contain mythology.

Now, with exception of public service, Atheism doesn't have any of that. Atheism also doesn't need to have faith, as faith is the firm belief in something without evidence. We have evidence of our position (evolution), it is the theist whose delusional belief in a transcendental reality is based solely on imagination and subjective philosophy...oh yeah, and a fictional disproven book.

Science is the antithesis of faith. Science is a process that contains multiple and redundant checks, balances, and safeguards against human bias and error. Science has a built in corrective mechanism..hypothesis testing...that weeds out false claims. Claims that come about as a result of a scientific process are held as tentatively true by scientists..unlike claims of faith that are held as eternally true with zero evidence. Related to this, claims that come about as a result of a scientific process are falsifiable, that is, there is a way to show the claims are false. This is not the case with faith claims. For example, there's no way to falisify the claim that the norse god Loki was able ot assume other forms.

Scientists try to prove claims false (falsification), unlike faith leaders who unequivocally state their faith claims are true. If a scientist can demonstrate that a popular scientific claim is false, he or she can become famous, get tenure, publish books, earn more money and become respected by her or his peers. If a preacher states that the claims of his faith tradition are false, he's excommunicated, defrocked or otherwise forced to abandon his position...the stifling of growth and enlightenment basically.

Science is a method for advancing our understanding. It is process we can use to bring us closer to the truth, and to weed out false claims. Science thus is the best way we've currently found to explain and understand how the universe works...unlike the religious leaders who base it on a superstitious disproven anthropocentric fictional book put together by agenda based allegorical writings based on fairy tales and passed down mythical stories and sold to the masses.

Science isn't interested in disproving god, or fairies, or the existence of Norrg who resides inside hollow neptune. Science has no concern for the unproven transcendental made up magic that people cling to in the form of religion. Science is only concerned with reality, and empirical evidence. No faith required.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
(19-10-2015 05:24 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(19-10-2015 05:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes, that's correct. Faith is belief in things unseen without any rational reason to believe.

So what you're saying is "I don't believe God exist and I don't believe God does no exist"?

All this talk of God is premature. I don't believe I exist. The evidence is suspect and less than compelling. You go distract yourself worrying about God while I'll continue to worry about Me. I AM.

Don't mean I ain't gonna play the game and pretend to believe in me. I play it very very well. Mainly because I know I'm just pretending and you don't.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus