Teen Beaten to Death in New York Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2015, 01:53 PM
RE: We are going to beat the sin out of you!
(15-10-2015 11:17 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Unfortunately the Bible advocates this type of thing:

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of discipline will remove it far from him. (Proverbs 22:15)

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol. (Proverbs 23:13-14)

For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields other peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:11)
All scriptures you mentioned are instructing parents to discipline their children. Not beat them to death. Now there are old testament laws that require that witches are to be put to death. The church in question here obviously did not understand scripture and the teachings of Jesus. Aka "he without sin may cast the first stone". According to the bible, Jesus himself condemned this type of behavior because he wanted to practice mercy and forgiveness not judgement.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2015, 01:55 PM
Btw... I believe the practice of witchcraft was the supposed crime that the teenagers were being punished for. But still it was wrong for that church to do such a thing.
17-10-2015, 01:58 PM
(17-10-2015 01:53 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 11:17 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Unfortunately the Bible advocates this type of thing:

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of discipline will remove it far from him. (Proverbs 22:15)

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol. (Proverbs 23:13-14)

For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields other peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:11)
All scriptures you mentioned are instructing parents to discipline their children. Not beat them to death. Now there are old testament laws that require that witches are to be put to death. The church in question here obviously did not understand scripture and the teachings of Jesus. Aka "he without sin may cast the first stone". According to the bible, Jesus himself condemned this type of behavior because he wanted to practice mercy and forgiveness not judgement.

This is from the NT:

Matthew 15:4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
17-10-2015, 02:00 PM
(17-10-2015 01:55 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Btw... I believe the practice of witchcraft was the supposed crime that the teenagers were being punished for. But still it was wrong for that church to do such a thing.

Witchcraft has never been a crime in the US.

#sigh
17-10-2015, 02:02 PM
I know that. I was referring to it being a supposed crime in Christianity not of the United states government.
17-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Latest word is that the 19-yr old merely wanted to leave the church. That's it. He just wanted out.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
17-10-2015, 02:12 PM
(17-10-2015 02:10 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Latest word is that the 19-yr old merely wanted to leave the church. That's it. He just wanted out.

So sad. In the eyes of the church, rejecting God is considered an unforgivable sin.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
17-10-2015, 02:15 PM
RE: Teen Beaten to Death in New York Church
Threads merged

17-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Yes. Rejection of God is a sin according to Christianity however it is not unforgivable. If you really break it down, the root of any sin no mater how great or small is to reject God. The only sin that I have found in the bible to be unforgivable is to curse and reject the Holy Spirit. I sure this post will start a fire storm of comments.
17-10-2015, 02:19 PM
(17-10-2015 02:02 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I know that. I was referring to it being a supposed crime in Christianity not of the United states government.

I think you are right. But not a crime in Christianity but a crime in English Witchcraft Law until 1951. Prior to the establishment of the USA the colonies were subject to British Law. Damn Limeys and their backasswards views. They all deserve the scurvy.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post