Poll: Should we have a Teen Section?
Yes
No
I am indifferent to the outcome.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Teen Forum Section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2012, 09:59 PM
RE: Teen Forum Section?
(19-09-2012 09:51 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 09:44 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  What's preventing them from doing this anyway? I don't think they are just waiting for the opportunity of someone to create a teen section. The prevention is teaching the youngin's how to stay safe with or without a special section. Thumbsup

It's like putting a supermarket that sells chocolate next door to a chocolate factory. Both sell chocolate but one will draw more chocoholics than the other, same principle for me.

Dude, there are people like that regardless of things like that, plus, we could do a permission check where you need permission by a mod to enter in that forum, and we can do something to check. I don't see why we shouldn't have a section. Plus, it's not like sexual predators will suddenly join an atheistic site just because there is a teen section. I am pretty sure most teens wouldn't give out there information. And we aren't even asking for their phone numbers or addresses. I don't see how this is somehow bad for the forum.

Sexual predators do exist, but they can only get to you if you make yourself exposed. I know I would never give out my specific address to anybody over the Internet,and I think most teens would agree with that.

I think there are better ways to get teens then to sign up for an atheist website, why go here when there is Facebook?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2012, 10:00 PM
(19-09-2012 09:48 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  It's not that I think you're all gullible enough to get in the strange man's van to see his puppies and magic chocolate machine.

It's just that I think if you have a section called 'Teen Section' or something like that it's just asking for it. You're basically building a hunting ground for every pervert on the internet.

I see no point in a warning to not share personal info. Everyone already knows it yet many people still do it anyway. An extra warning in life won't change that.

I'm not really for it. I just don't see much point in it.

That's why we get A2 and/or whom ever else to monitor the section, just to ensure that shit doesn't start to begin with. Besides, I doubt that predators of any sort would target teens on a forum such as this, where not believing bullshit would seem to be a key trait.

As for the warning stuff, makes sense, when do teens ever listen to warnings?

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
19-09-2012, 10:04 PM
(19-09-2012 09:58 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 09:54 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I still don't see why predators need a teens section to do that stuff.. I mean, as LJ said.

Basically we would like a section where we can talk to teens and relate and shit... There are some threads I would like to post in the desired section that you guys might not want to hear, or see.

We want to have a section so that we, as atheist teens can discuss things such as "What is means to be an atheist teens, and how might this affect my life." We can discuss teen stuff, like sexuality, this generations thoughts on the future and just stuff you guys would find annoying.

I'm not saying predators need a teen section. I'm saying they may be more drawn to a place that is clearly labelled as exclusively teen than a general forum.

My personal view is that you should be able to post all that stuff on the forum anyway (provided it's legal). If people don't like those sorta threads then there's nothing making them read them. If you get any crap from anyone for posting teen threads in TTOT you should tell them exactly where to shove their problem Smile.
I think more or less, there are some very private topics I WOULDN'T want grown ups to look at. Most of the time, I am fine with telling you about my life, but there are things I think I can post to people of similar age, and of a similar disposition.

I think teens, like me, will be more comforting posting some of their more detailed and person thoughts on certain topics like ones I have previously stated if they knew that there are other teens present, and is kind of like a hang out for them.

I am not saying ALL teen posts need to go here, but the ones that might need fellow atheist teens thoughts, advice, commentary and such.

I only have suggested it, Hughsie, it's up to you guys whether or not to accept it.

My idea is totally at your mercy.

19-09-2012, 10:06 PM
(19-09-2012 09:50 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 09:31 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Ah ha ha ha. I meant hang WITH the teens. Oops, Freudian slip much Confused

Um, I would like to chill, cuz I'm cool, yo. There, that's better teen lingo, right? Homies.

*facepalm* stop...just stop...BlinkShockingUndecidedNo

Oh, I'm a mom who's the bomb. Even if I have curlers in my hair.

It's even good to be embarrassed by your internet mom sometimes, it'll humble you and give you character.

(19-09-2012 09:51 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 09:44 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  What's preventing them from doing this anyway? I don't think they are just waiting for the opportunity of someone to create a teen section. The prevention is teaching the youngin's how to stay safe with or without a special section. Thumbsup

It's like putting a supermarket that sells chocolate next door to a chocolate factory. Both sell chocolate but one will draw more chocoholics than the other, same principle for me.

OR it's like having chocolate sold at all these different stores all over the place and you don't know who the chocolate is being sold to at one store because you're over at the other store. But, if all the chocolate is in one store, you can keep an eye on the chocolate easier. Mhmm.
19-09-2012, 10:08 PM
(19-09-2012 10:00 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  That's why we get A2 and/or whom ever else to monitor the section, just to ensure that shit doesn't start to begin with. Besides, I doubt that predators of any sort would target teens on a forum such as this, where not believing bullshit would seem to be a key trait.

I don't see how anyone can monitor the section. We only have people's word on how old they are so we have no way of ensuring only teens can get in.

Having someone monitor the place would be of little use. I can hardly imagine a paedo would make arrangements to meet openly in the middle of a thread. They would be far more likely to get to know people within the teen section, then move on to PM'ing.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
19-09-2012, 10:12 PM
In all honesty, I love the idea of it but not so sure it's realistic to have here.

If there are burning topics that need discussing but wish to stay more anonymous then someone can always submit their thread topic/post to hughsie or I as part of the anonymous system that was set up but never utilized a couple months ago, as a suggestion.
19-09-2012, 10:13 PM
(19-09-2012 10:08 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 10:00 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  That's why we get A2 and/or whom ever else to monitor the section, just to ensure that shit doesn't start to begin with. Besides, I doubt that predators of any sort would target teens on a forum such as this, where not believing bullshit would seem to be a key trait.

I don't see how anyone can monitor the section. We only have people's word on how old they are so we have no way of ensuring only teens can get in.

Having someone monitor the place would be of little use. I can hardly imagine a paedo would make arrangements to meet openly in the middle of a thread. They would be far more likely to get to know people within the teen section, then move on to PM'ing.

Which again begs the question. We are on a forum of atheists. An atheist forum is a weird place for a pedophile to sign up for to pick up teens. Especially when there are way better places to do it. We can set up permission groups, like nobody can post unless allowed by a mod for the first time in the section, and even then, we can PM them giving them a warning not to give out information.

I have no idea why pedos would suddenly flood this forum just for starting a teens section. Especially on a forum site like this.

19-09-2012, 10:20 PM
(19-09-2012 10:12 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  In all honesty, I love the idea of it but not so sure it's realistic to have here.

If there are burning topics that need discussing but wish to stay more anonymous then someone can always submit their thread topic/post to hughsie or I as part of the anonymous system that was set up but never utilized a couple months ago, as a suggestion.

The anonymous system never was a good thing for me, if I was going to say something it was going to be by me, not a shadow. I am like that. I just think that there are some topics that the teens of this site, like Magoo, Me, Free Thought, Red Torado, Logica, Vosur, Pppgggr, Taz, And other teens on the forum could converse with eachother sharing insights, expierences, thoughts about subjects that teens could relate to.

The first thing I did when I came back was set up a Teenage Atheists threads which had plenty of teens commenting. One even private messaged me and said my thread was the reason they signed up in the fist place. It is such a shame that if I hadn't done that, that person never would have joined this community and thanked me.

It was awesome having an impact in a fellow teens life like that.

She said my thread brought a smile on her face, and I wanted to see if maybe the guests could be some teens that wanted to join the forums, but were afraid that it would only be adults and would be intimidated. This is a way of showing that there is a section for them to just chill with other people like them and discuss.

I certainly know that I was nervous posting the first few hundred times because I felt the need to push myself. I even considered leaving before I had grown to love this place.

The anon system is to hide their idenities, this system is to help make atheist teens relize that there is a place for them in this community.

[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
19-09-2012, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2012 11:30 PM by LadyJane.)
(19-09-2012 10:20 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 10:12 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  In all honesty, I love the idea of it but not so sure it's realistic to have here.

The anonymous system never was a good thing for me, if I was going to say something it was going to be by me, not a shadow. I am like that. I just think that there are some topics that the teens of this site, like Magoo, Me, Free Thought, Red Torado, Logica, Vosur, Pppgggr, Taz, And other teens on the forum could converse with eachother sharing insights, expierences, thoughts about subjects that teens could relate to.

The first thing I did when I came back was set up a Teenage Atheists threads which had plenty of teens commenting. One even private messaged me and said my thread was the reason they signed up in the fist place. It is such a shame that if I hadn't done that, that person never would have joined this community and thanked me.

It was awesome having an impact in a fellow teens life like that.

She said my thread brought a smile on her face, and I wanted to see if maybe the guests could be some teens that wanted to join the forums, but were afraid that it would only be adults and would be intimidated. This is a way of showing that there is a section for them to just chill with other people like them and discuss.

I certainly know that I was nervous posting the first few hundred times because I felt the need to push myself. I even considered leaving before I had grown to love this place.

The anon system is to hide their idenities, this system is to help make atheist teens relize that there is a place for them in this community.

*I* love this, and would be 100 percent for it. I worked at a youth centre and loved it, I understand that youth need a place that is safe for them, and just for them- a place to call their own. I think in an atheist community it's a great idea and asset. Church go-ers have their youth groups, what about atheist youth?

But, this forum and how it's constructed and run is not up to me and this might not fit the direction that admin and other's are taking it. Just saying, because if it's a no I don't think it's because people wouldn't support this, it might just be because this isn't something possible. In my opinion, superb idea though. Smile
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
19-09-2012, 11:10 PM
(19-09-2012 09:07 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(19-09-2012 09:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Sure. As long as you stay in your section. Evil_monster

I'll keep my teen shit in the teen section, but no garentees on me staying in this section all of the time.

Forget it then. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post