Teenage Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
18-05-2012, 05:55 PM
RE: Teenage Atheists
Atothetheist, that is horrible of your parents to have said that to you. They should support you always, regardless of your beliefs.

I think it was things like science class, being taught evolution and just reading the first parts of the bible that kept me from believing. I never made it all the way through. I just couldn't believe the first 20 or so pages.

As an adult, learning how religion has been used for thousands of years to justify murdering people, just made it that much more solid to me that there weren't any gods and religion was complete bullsh*t.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm 16, and I have been an atheist for about 8 months now. Both my parents are Christian (although my mom is much more devout than my dad), and pretty much all of my extended family is religious to some extent.

Like a lot of people, I became an atheist while trying to defend my Christian beliefs. I decided that if I ought to have good arguments and evidence to support my position and to help me witness to nonbelievers. But when I searched, I found that all of the philosophical arguments for God (cosmological, ontological, etc.) had logical flaws in them. Additionally, I couldn't find any reason to believe that Christianity was any more believable than all the other religions of the world. The Bible contradicts itself in hundreds of places, and contradicts known history and science in others. I found that we had none of the original manuscripts of the Gospels, and we didn't know who wrote any of them. None of them were written by eyewitnesses. They were most likely compiled from oral traditions about an eccentric preacher that may or may not have existed.

My mom, dad, sister, and friends know that I am an atheist (although none of my extended family knows). It is my mom who is most concerned about me. She is deeply saddened by my deconversion. She has said that it is "the worst thing that could have ever happened to her" because I will be tortured forever in hell. I have had several discussions with her about religion (you may call them "debates"), during which she has made the following claims:
1. I just want to convince myself there's no god
2. I'm too closed minded to accept the evidence for God
3. My mind is "polluted" by podcasts like The Thinking Atheist and shows like The Atheist Experience
3. I'm too young to come to the decision to not believe in God
4. God will eventually bring me back to Christianity

I feel really bad about making my mom so depressed. It often makes talking to her awkward and uncomfortable. But I know that it's not my fault that she's feeling this way; it's her religious beliefs that are to blame. Religion poisons everything.

Despite the pain it's caused, I still don't regret coming out to my parents. It means that I don't have to pretend to accept supernatural nonsense that I don't believe.
[+] 3 users Like Valsyrie's post
18-05-2012, 08:20 PM
(18-05-2012 03:50 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  To the OP, did you call in to the show? I think I remember your call. I think your mother's words were said in anger, maybe she regrets what she said now. You should talk to her about it. Sit down and explain yourself to her, and don't (or try not to) get angry.

I was an atheist teenager once. I went to catholic school and mostly kept my head down (I wish I had been as ballsy as you) and mostly just debated with stupid theist classmates. My father is an atheist too, so he usually just ignored the occasional call from the headmaster.

When I was fourteen, I told my mother I didn't believe in god. She looked at me like she was going to cry, and she walked away. I regretted it almost immediately and rephrased my statement. I put it more diplomatically. I said i wasn't sure any of the religions were true, and that their definition of god is unbelievable. I said I would rather find god my own way, if such a thing exists. With time, my mother has come to terms with her entire family being atheists, and she is likely a deist herself at this point.

What your mother said to you is horrible, don't get me wrong. But maybe it is not so hard to see things from her side. Maybe she needs time to accept this. My mother has said dreadful things to me in anger. I know she didn't mean them. I hope your mother didn't either.

Welcome to the forum. I wish you all the best in the next difficult few years. Being a teenager is hard enough without being an ostracised. I hope you'll come here when you need support. We're always here (since we have no lives, except KC of course)

I did call in the show. I was excited to get my voice out. The incident happened on the day of the Reason Rally, and I have tried to sit down with her. She has yet to utter a single word to me. She only knocks in my door and leaves food there. She does everything in her power to distance herself from me. My father has become a messenger, telling me to go to church, to take out the trash.
I will not give up. I hope someday she will be able to accept me, and finally talk. As of yet, this seems to be to the point of zero.
19-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Sometimes the only way to resolve a major ideological problem like this is to not make it an issue. If the only time people spend together is arguing about issues they'll never agree on, their mutual feelings towards each other will not improve. If you focus on spending the time you have together doing things that both enjoy and things that can engender a sense of respect, then the differences between you can be diminished in importance. That way when the topic next comes up you'll both know each others' positions (so no surprises) and you may both be able to keep it in better perspective.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
19-05-2012, 10:49 AM
(18-05-2012 07:50 PM)Valsyrie Wrote:  I'm 16, and I have been an atheist for about 8 months now. Both my parents are Christian (although my mom is much more devout than my dad), and pretty much all of my extended family is religious to some extent.

Like a lot of people, I became an atheist while trying to defend my Christian beliefs. I decided that if I ought to have good arguments and evidence to support my position and to help me witness to nonbelievers. But when I searched, I found that all of the philosophical arguments for God (cosmological, ontological, etc.) had logical flaws in them. Additionally, I couldn't find any reason to believe that Christianity was any more believable than all the other religions of the world. The Bible contradicts itself in hundreds of places, and contradicts known history and science in others. I found that we had none of the original manuscripts of the Gospels, and we didn't know who wrote any of them. None of them were written by eyewitnesses. They were most likely compiled from oral traditions about an eccentric preacher that may or may not have existed.

My mom, dad, sister, and friends know that I am an atheist (although none of my extended family knows). It is my mom who is most concerned about me. She is deeply saddened by my deconversion. She has said that it is "the worst thing that could have ever happened to her" because I will be tortured forever in hell. I have had several discussions with her about religion (you may call them "debates"), during which she has made the following claims:
1. I just want to convince myself there's no god
2. I'm too closed minded to accept the evidence for God
3. My mind is "polluted" by podcasts like The Thinking Atheist and shows like The Atheist Experience
3. I'm too young to come to the decision to not believe in God
4. God will eventually bring me back to Christianity

I feel really bad about making my mom so depressed. It often makes talking to her awkward and uncomfortable. But I know that it's not my fault that she's feeling this way; it's her religious beliefs that are to blame. Religion poisons everything.

Despite the pain it's caused, I still don't regret coming out to my parents. It means that I don't have to pretend to accept supernatural nonsense that I don't believe.

Acctually, this is something that I have heard a lot of people going through. It seems as if grownups say that your to young to make a decision, but I said( to my dad)that I was, by their standards,too young to make a decision that God's exsistance is true, so Angnosticism is the best of both worlds, but that was just something so I could defend my position.
19-05-2012, 11:17 AM
im also 15 my parents never told me anything about religion at all i was tought in school about christianity i thought it was something like saint nicklas(dutch version of santa) pretty much a fairytale to keep people content then later i saw how stupid it really is and the harm it can do
19-05-2012, 11:20 AM
(19-05-2012 11:17 AM)darthdambalah Wrote:  im also 15 my parents never told me anything about religion at all i was tought in school about christianity i thought it was something like saint nicklas(dutch version of santa) pretty much a fairytale to keep people content then later i saw how stupid it really is and the harm it can do

Religion, to me is a ilness. Like some dieses prevent other dieses, Religion can prevent some bad things, but it never really is a positive thing.
19-05-2012, 11:24 AM
[quote='earmuffs' pid='116861' dateline='1337326449']
In my experience with all sorts of people from different backgrounds and social level I would say the majority of New Zealanders simply just don't give it any thought. You might get people saying "yeah I believe in God" but that's all the thought they've ever given it.
Nobody really gives a flying shit around in this country.

[quote]

its the same in holland no one gives a crap(as far as i know)
19-05-2012, 11:26 AM
shit i did it wrong i gues thats what you get when you accidently press backspace to much
19-05-2012, 11:27 AM
+ i think i made a gramar mistake