Teenage Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
19-05-2012, 12:14 PM
RE: Teenage Atheists
(19-05-2012 12:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 12:04 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Thanks, bro. Is there anything else you want to talk about?

Gwyneth Paltrow? Big Grin

Your sitch sux. My sitch was my ma telling everybody I shoulda been an abortion and the whole family blaming me for the break up of my parents. And I was born with a genetic disposition for insanity, childhood only reinforced the pattern. Now I and my family basically don't exist to each other.

Theism sux for that kinda crap. Peeps believing in a fairy tale over their own flesh and blood. It's disgusting. Family is supposed to be like Clan Cantor against the world, muah-ha-ha-ha! It ain't supposed to be Clan Cantor against itself. That's lame.

My sitch is nothing compared to your sitch though. Your's is horrible. I wish that didn't happen, but sometimes.... You can't really do anything about it if you value honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
19-05-2012, 02:55 PM
(18-05-2012 02:01 AM)pppgggr Wrote:  I'm Thirteen and I am an Atheist as well. I first began to doubt when I was 10 or 11 in the Sixth Grade. We were first learning about Evolution in History Class(Which tells you I definately wasn't in a Christian school). About a week or so later, another student in my class began to make fun of me. This was before I had made the decision, and I forget what he was saying it for, but he was saying "You're gonna go to Hell". It was very playfully and I knew he didn't mean it, but in an effort to get him to shut up I blurted out "I don't believe in God". At the time, I didn't believe it myself, but everyone else around me did. Decent people that I had known and grown up with had suddenly turned on me and turned into the most vile and ruthless bullies in the school simply because of those words. As the year progressed, I began to look upon what I had supposedly "Believed". What I realized were several things. The first is that I had, put simply, never liked going to Church. In fact, I loathed it. The second is that the Bible made absolutely no sense to me.....And finally, the third was that despite the fact that other students were claiming it to be rediculous, I realized that Evolution made sense, something that religion had never done for me before. These realizations set off a chain reaction that got me examining every detail about my own life, and the world around me. The more I learned from the internet, or class alone, the more Religion seemed to be pointless and simply rediculous. At this time, my mother was getting baptized into Catholicism and preparing for communion, and so I was afraid to tell them anything, and I probably would have kept this secret for a long while until the realization was forced into the open.

One of the mothers of the supposed "Decent Kids" had known me since I was in Kindergarten. As soon as her son told her about my beliefs, she instantly went into savior mode and contacted my mother about it. Essentially, I had lost all choice in the matter. To my surprise, however, my parents took the news fairly well. They were incredibly curious, but overall they accepted my decision. At the time, I think they believed it to be a phase. They started sending me to church three times as much, and R.E.(Religious Ed, an outside school program) became a part of my life. After a while, however, they finally realized that I was serious in my beliefs and the only time I was made to go to church was when a sibling was taking a sacrament, or occasionally on Easter. R.E. was dropped entirely. Though my parents learned to accept me, -EVERYONE- that I had known since the age of five years old had -COMPLETELY- turned against me. People that I had thought would never go about insulting or abusing me, were doing it on a regular basis. Most people have co-workers and friends entering savior mode. My friends entered torment mode. Out of everyone whom bothered me for my beliefs, I only remember one that was actually in savior mode.

Though eventually I made friends with a group of atheists slightly younger than me, and a westernized Muslim child and his family, I was eventually forced out of school for the stream of torment that I received. Bullying and hatred about my beliefs eventually evolved into hatred by everyone in the school, regardless as to whether or not they knew my beliefs, for -ANY- reason they could find. That's how much these people were affected by their friends. I feel I was forced into an early and somewhat distorted adulthood by the experience. It seemed as if everywhere I looked, I was hated. Before I made the decision to leave the school, I was eventually forced into my own little bubble. Any social skills I had before had completely dissolved. I became depressed and I began to hate myself for everything but my own beliefs, which I stood by.

It's amazing what a single decision can do to somebody.

As for your story, I am appalled at how your family treated you. As your mother, regardless of whether or not you were adopted, you should have received unconditional love, despite your beliefs. I live with my step mother and father and I'm still very close with my family. The only member of my family that has reacted in an angered way was my mother of birth whom called me Satanic and said I am not old enough to think for myself, and must continue to fall victim to the indoctrination. I personally don't consider her close family. She lives in another state, and the only time we ever spoke was once every 2-3 months, and only briefly. My parents separated when I was 5. She didn't know me as a person, and thus I don't care too much about her opinion. My step mom is my true mom.

I can completely relate to some of that, thank you for sharing.
19-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm raising two Freethinking teenage girls who are not allowed in chat rooms with grown men :-)

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 2 users Like Debzilla's post
19-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm the same age as you Stevin, and I find that story absolutely horrific. I'm an atheist too, but my parents are totally cool with it. I just can't fathom that these things actually happen in some parts of the world! I get so angry sometimes when I hear these story's, that I feel like grabbing my baseball bat and go out murdering those people. Just because you don't believe in piles of crap, they treat you like dirt! What a disgrace the world is in right now, that this stuff actually happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
19-05-2012, 05:08 PM
(19-05-2012 03:54 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  I'm raising two Freethinking teenage girls who are not allowed in chat rooms with grown men :-)
They are safe here. There are no grown men on this forum. Just middle aged adolescents. Big Grin

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
19-05-2012, 05:51 PM
(19-05-2012 05:08 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 03:54 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  I'm raising two Freethinking teenage girls who are not allowed in chat rooms with grown men :-)
They are safe here. There are no grown men on this forum. Just middle aged adolescents. Big Grin

A) This ain't a chat room.

B) You obviously forgot Sarah. Tongue

Nowhere is safe... If I had a daughter, she'd live in the closet. With a candle. And a stuffy. Tongue

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2012, 07:54 PM
This is like a chat room from the days of dial up AOL......................aka massive delays :-)

For you teenage atheists and theists, dial up was the way we used to communicate on the web, using, get this, phone lines.
And the phones? They plugged into the wall.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
19-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Let the "in my day" pissing match begin.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
19-05-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm curious… how many of you are still forced to go to church by your parents (assuming you're not in the closet)? If you're no longer going to church, did you have to argue with them before they finally let you stop going?

My parents (my mom in particular) still make me go to church, although I no longer have to go to youth group or tithe. I don't sing during the worship songs, nor do I pray when prompted. I simply sit quietly through the mind-numbingly boring service. I'm interested in learning about your experiences.
19-05-2012, 10:42 PM
(19-05-2012 10:21 PM)Valsyrie Wrote:  I'm curious… how many of you are still forced to go to church by your parents (assuming you're not in the closet)? If you're no longer going to church, did you have to argue with them before they finally let you stop going?

My parents (my mom in particular) still make me go to church, although I no longer have to go to youth group or tithe. I don't sing during the worship songs, nor do I pray when prompted. I simply sit quietly through the mind-numbingly boring service. I'm interested in learning about your experiences.

I still continue going to church. My father takes me. They are absolutely convinced that I just need " God's" Wisdom to be cured of this horrible sin.