Teenage Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
21-05-2012, 06:09 PM
RE: Teenage Atheists
I may be the only one, but how many of you people have been shunned by MOST of your friends.....?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2012, 04:19 PM
It seems this thread died..... Time to revive it. Evil_monster
26-05-2012, 03:11 PM
(21-05-2012 06:09 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I may be the only one, but how many of you people have been shunned by MOST of your friends.....?

This will sound cliche, but they weren't really your friends. They were people who were using you provided that you were willing to conform to what made them 100% fulfilled by the relationship, with no consideration of you. Once you didn't conform you were out the window.
This is also very easy to say but, go make new friends. I guarantee you, there are plenty of intelligent people out there in the world who want to get to know you for who you really are, no matter what.
26-05-2012, 04:12 PM
(26-05-2012 03:11 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  
(21-05-2012 06:09 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I may be the only one, but how many of you people have been shunned by MOST of your friends.....?

This will sound cliche, but they weren't really your friends. They were people who were using you provided that you were willing to conform to what made them 100% fulfilled by the relationship, with no consideration of you. Once you didn't conform you were out the window.
This is also very easy to say but, go make new friends. I guarantee you, there are plenty of intelligent people out there in the world who want to get to know you for who you really are, no matter what.
People become friends with those who they relate with... It seems that after I gave up my faith, I gave up my connection with them. I also have no doubt that their parents probably did something to speed up that process.

Still though, I live in a neighborhood that, because of my views, may be hard to be who I am. Regardless, thank you for your input.
26-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I wasn't only shunned by my friends, but the entire school as well. It took three years to finally find a group of friends, which consists of two atheists that are -CONSTANTLY- arguing about a game called Minecraft, 2 kids with extremely over-protective parents, one guy with several odd personality quirks, and a Muslim named Mohammed. All but Mohammed are below my age. I have nothing against my friends. They're all good people, but sometimes it's hard to deal with them, because most of them have serious social disorders. The only one that I generally get along with well is Mohammed. Funnily enough, the one Muslim in the school and his family, seem to be the most accepting people I have ever met. I guess that goes to show that the Islamic people can be westernized.
26-05-2012, 06:21 PM
(26-05-2012 05:20 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  
I wasn't only shunned by my friends, but the entire school as well. It took three years to finally find a group of friends, which consists of two atheists that are -CONSTANTLY- arguing about a game called Minecraft, 2 kids with extremely over-protective parents, one guy with several odd personality quirks, and a Muslim named Mohammed. All but Mohammed are below my age. I have nothing against my friends. They're all good people, but sometimes it's hard to deal with them, because most of them have serious social disorders. The only one that I generally get along with well is Mohammed. Funnily enough, the one Muslim in the school and his family, seem to be the most accepting people I have ever met. I guess that goes to show that the Islamic people can be westernized.
Hahaha! I love minecraft! It has made me realize that I can have fun without Jesus... Seriously, my parents taught me that without Jesus, life is hell and every secular videogame is just worthless junk. I have only two friends that frequently talk to me, both atheists.
26-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Copied from my introduction thread:

"I was raised christianly by a baptist pastor and since I was taught that the christian God exists at an early age, I had no choice but to believe that what I was told is true. I didn't even know anything about the bible, I didn't know what was written in the OT and NT, so I also didn't know how many contradictions and violence it contains.

It was much later, at the age of 14 to be specific, that I started to doubt my religion. At that time, I was finally taught how to think critically, which caused me to begin reflecting my morals and faith. I realized that there was no reason to believe in something that you can't prove and that is only mentioned in ancient books. I also couldn't believe that God was supposed to be loving and caring when he ordered his "children" to commit genocide for trivial reasons over and over and over again. This, combined with the lack of any personal experience with God, allowed me to give up on my religion and become an Atheist/Agnostic."

I didn't have the heart to tell this to my father, because I expect him to be either worried or disappointed by this change. I guess the day of confession will have to come, but for the past few years I simply tried to avoid any debates about religion. The problem is that he depends on his religion, which is why I couldn't possibly pulverize it in an argument.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
26-05-2012, 08:53 PM
(26-05-2012 08:46 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Copied from my introduction thread:

"I was raised christianly by a baptist pastor and since I was taught that the christian God exists at an early age, I had no choice but to believe that what I was told is true. I didn't even know anything about the bible, I didn't know what was written in the OT and NT, so I also didn't know how many contradictions and violence it contains.

It was much later, at the age of 14 to be specific, that I started to doubt my religion. At that time, I was finally taught how to think critically, which caused me to begin reflecting my morals and faith. I realized that there was no reason to believe in something that you can't prove and that is only mentioned in ancient books. I also couldn't believe that God was supposed to be loving and caring when he ordered his "children" to commit genocide for trivial reasons over and over and over again. This, combined with the lack of any personal experience with God, allowed me to give up on my religion and become an Atheist/Agnostic."

I didn't have the heart to tell this to my father, because I expect him to be either worried or disappointed by this change. I guess the day of confession will have to come, but for the past few years I simply tried to avoid any debates about religion. The problem is that he depends on his religion, which is why I couldn't possibly pulverize it in an argument.
Wow... If you had to confess to you dad, how do you think it would go about.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
26-05-2012, 09:53 PM
(26-05-2012 08:53 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Wow... If you had to confess to you dad, how do you think it would go about.
If I'm ever going to confess it to him, I would probably go to him and say something along the lines of "Dad, I need to talk to you for a second. In the past few years, I have distanced myself from religion further and further until I finally let go of it." He would probably react shocked at first, then ask me for the reasoning behind this decision. I'd explain it to him and we would probably have a debate about it. I sincerely hope that he will be able to understand and tolerate my position. Judging from my experience with him, I think he would still love me either way.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-05-2012, 07:28 AM
(26-05-2012 04:12 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(26-05-2012 03:11 PM)Superluminal Wrote:  This will sound cliche, but they weren't really your friends. They were people who were using you provided that you were willing to conform to what made them 100% fulfilled by the relationship, with no consideration of you. Once you didn't conform you were out the window.
People become friends with those who they relate with... It seems that after I gave up my faith, I gave up my connection with them. I also have no doubt that their parents probably did something to speed up that process.

Still though, I live in a neighborhood that, because of my views, may be hard to be who I am. Regardless, thank you for your input.
Yes but, they can still relate to you in a thousand other ways. Christianity is just one small thing that they could relate to you about. They have however given this undue significance in your relationship, and then demanded that you do as well. When you don't, they said screw you. I guess we all define "friend" differently. My definition of someone who is a "friend" would be someone who wouldn't do this.