Teenage Atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
27-05-2012, 09:26 AM
RE: Teenage Atheists
(27-05-2012 07:28 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  
(26-05-2012 04:12 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  People become friends with those who they relate with... It seems that after I gave up my faith, I gave up my connection with them. I also have no doubt that their parents probably did something to speed up that process.

Still though, I live in a neighborhood that, because of my views, may be hard to be who I am. Regardless, thank you for your input.
Yes but, they can still relate to you in a thousand other ways. Christianity is just one small thing that they could relate to you about. They have however given this undue significance in your relationship, and then demanded that you do as well. When you don't, they said screw you. I guess we all define "friend" differently. My definition of someone who is a "friend" would be someone who wouldn't do this.
You may be right, a true friend would never do this. I for one know that Religion, in my neighborhood, is one of the most important things there is. I suspect that secretly the kids over there want all of their friends to believe in the same faith so that they will see all of them in heaven. Since I have left, they might have thought that they shouldn't be friends with me be ause I won't be in heaven.

This is only my opinion, but nonetheless I think it is a valid statement.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Another thing I want to know is, What advice would you give to closeted teen atheists? What would you tell them about what you went through and what they could expect when coming out?

28-05-2012, 06:09 PM
This here brought a wide grin to my face! Smile I'm happily surprised that I'm not the only teenage atheist in this lonely world.
Anyways, I can relate to what you're going through. I'm still trying to come out of the atheist closet. Well, my mother knows (She believes in "god" without a specific religion) And my father.....ehhh......I tried telling him but he's in denial.
It's easier said than done. Coming out of the closet is not, nor will it ever, be an easy process. You should expect your parents to be pretty pissed off. Time will go on and eventually they'll get used to this. Just hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. We all know that the floating invisible man in the sky isn't going to help you.
Whenever you need to talk, I suppose you can message me.
P.S: I'm part Russian myself. And I can speak it somewhat well.
28-05-2012, 06:30 PM
(28-05-2012 06:09 PM)Thecreativelynamed Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 08:58 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
This here brought a wide grin to my face! Smile I'm happily surprised that I'm not the only teenage atheist in this lonely world.
Anyways, I can relate to what you're going through. I'm still trying to come out of the atheist closet. Well, my mother knows (She believes in "god" without a specific religion) And my father.....ehhh......I tried telling him but he's in denial.
It's easier said than done. Coming out of the closet is not, nor will it ever, be an easy process. You should expect your parents to be pretty pissed off. Time will go on and eventually they'll get used to this. Just hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. We all know that the floating invisible man in the sky isn't going to help you.
Well, I am glad that you also have the strength to come out! It is always better that you don't have to hide anymore.

Going a little off topic, but I had a face-palm moment of epic proportions....

It was in church.

The pastor literally said. "In order to exist, you need a beginning.... This is true for everything.... Except for the Heavenly father that caused you. This is called,by the " atheists",special pleading. Well I tell you here... It is special pleading because our Father is special."

My hand covered my face to shield away from the doozy he just delivered.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
28-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I wasn't in quite that situation, I'm 18 now, and have been an atheist since about age 10 (de-conversion was more a realization than anything, my household never really was religious, my mom did grow up in Catholic school and my dad feels the unnecessary compulsion toward a "high being" of any sort). It was an interesting sort of experience, I was just online (I think it was gaiaonline come to think of it) on a forum website much like this, and somebody had posted something about God. I don't quite remember the posting, but the subject did get on my mind, and as I went further down I read somebody post that they were an antheist (it was a misspelling, I didn't know at that age for it was the first time I saw the word), somebody who doesn't believe in God. I realized that it pretty much described my beliefs.

I wasn't necessarily a closet atheist, but nobody had known till I hit age 12 or 13. Eventually I made friends with some Mormons and my best friend at the time was Agnostic, I told them about my disbelief, and went to church with them for a while, and that is when I really experienced my first challenge. Well it was actually on the street, a couple of Mormons on bikes kept trying to talk to me, and tried to convert me when I was walking home. I started researching, learning, and realizing the destructive nature of those sorts of beliefs.

Eventually my parents found out, I was 13 at the time, and they were a bit in shock, we didn't talk about it until after my very religious half-sister had come to town, she started talking and my dad made a comment which particularly disturbed me "Atheists should have a little devil on their grave, pointing and laughing."

From then, I'd occasionally get into arguments with my, which led into a bit of understanding, and I am convinced he is no longer a Christian at this point in time. He still holds the notion that "you have to believe in something" but he shows no regard for Christianity whatsoever. My mother claimed she had made mistake raising me outside of church, and my half sister wanted to take me away for a weekend and "talk" to me, I was terrified, she also said "it's not your fault you were raised wrong." We don't talk much now.
28-05-2012, 07:42 PM
(28-05-2012 06:30 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(28-05-2012 06:09 PM)Thecreativelynamed Wrote:   This here brought a wide grin to my face! Smile I'm happily surprised that I'm not the only teenage atheist in this lonely world.
Well, I am glad that you also have the strength to come out! It is always better that you don't have to hide anymore.

Going a little off topic, but I had a face-palm moment of epic proportions....

It was in church.

The pastor literally said. "In order to exist, you need a beginning.... This is true for everything.... Except for the Heavenly father that caused you. This is called,by the " atheists",special pleading. Well I tell you here... It is special pleading because our Father is special."

My hand covered my face to shield away from the doozy he just delivered.
I'm glad you mentioned that. I am beginning to lose patience for people that work in religious organizations. They should have a little more respect for us atheists. And they shouldn't dedicate their lives trying to convert us. It's the biggest waste of time ever.
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
01-06-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm surprised with how many teenagers are here. As one myself, I am very happy to see others question as well.

I would much rather remain intelligent and question rather than follow anything blindly and become one of the plentiful amount of zombies each religion has.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
03-06-2012, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 03:40 PM by Atothetheist.)
(01-06-2012 12:19 AM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I'm surprised with how many teenagers are here. As one myself, I am very happy to see others question as well.

I would much rather remain intelligent and question rather than follow anything blindly and become one of the plentiful amount of zombies each religion has.
I would rather live in the truth than be ignorant of it. Infact, that is going to be on my signiture.

04-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Just curious, how many people here are from Canada

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
(04-06-2012 12:28 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  Just curious, how many people here are from Canada
From Montreal; now living in the States.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user