Teleportation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Teleportation
If we imagine in the future we get to a technological stage where we have a device like that seen in Star Trek, that can break a person down atom by atom and reassemble them somewhere else in the universe, a perfect copy that retains all neurological connections of the brain (memories, personality etc), then this poses an interesting question I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on.

Do you think it would still be "you" that comes out at the other end. Whilst it may be a flawless copy that comes out at the destination, the original "you" that first stepped into the machine would be destroyed/removed in the process.

Would you die, yet a copy of you remains in the universe?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2013, 07:45 PM
RE: Teleportation
I have no idea about this one. It seems a bit scary and definitely wouldn't want to be the first to try. So much can go wrong you know? Now. Think of this. Buying something online and teleported instantly to your local post office. Lets do that. Maybe we can get a mini teleporter for home use.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
17-10-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't think teleportation will be sending a 'copy' because there won't be two of you suddenly. It's a transportation system. Sure, it's scrambling up your atoms and sending them from point A to point B, but a good teleportation system will reassemble those atoms just as you were before. In initial experiments there may be some changes to the person, either in body or in mind/personality, but I don't see that as a copy of said person, just a change due to the risk of experimentation.
17-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Gonna hafta pull a Lieutenant Barkley and say no. Hell no.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
17-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Star RE: Teleportation
(17-10-2013 06:30 PM)bemore Wrote:  If we imagine in the future we get to a technological stage where we have a device like that seen in Star Trek, that can break a person down atom by atom and reassemble them somewhere else in the universe, a perfect copy that retains all neurological connections of the brain (memories, personality etc), then this poses an interesting question I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on.

Do you think it would still be "you" that comes out at the other end. Whilst it may be a flawless copy that comes out at the destination, the original "you" that first stepped into the machine would be destroyed/removed in the process.

Would you die, yet a copy of you remains in the universe?

There's a popular false misconception about the StarTrek transporters.

The misconception is that the transporter just "clones" you. That it destroys you, and uses atoms in another location to reassemble you. This is FALSE.

The transporter breaks an object down, then transports the atoms (whether warps, or through subspace) to the transporter pad. So it's literally taking you from point A to B. You are still the same person in a very literal sense.
17-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Its a copy. And you would die, cease thinking and existing. And the copy of you with all your memories would take your place. Unless you send the same atoms, its a copy. But who cares really. Aside from maybe some molecules in your bones, pretty much all your atoms have been exchanged multiple times in your life. The atoms that made YOU as a little kid have moved on, you're now almost entirely different atoms.

That being said, if you were to move a person at a speed high enough to be considered instant transmission, they would take a massive dose of gamma and xrays and likely die.
17-10-2013, 08:35 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2013 08:42 PM by Adenosis.)
Consider the process without destroying the original. You will be there, and there will be a copy of you. Is it plausible that you are consciously aware of the events occurring in both brains? I think not. The only difference between this scenario and teleporting is that you (the original) are destroyed in one and not in the other.

Conclusion? I'm never setting foot in a teleporter of this nature.

(17-10-2013 08:27 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  That being said, if you were to move a person at a speed high enough to be considered instant transmission, they would take a massive dose of gamma and xrays and likely die.

Another possibility is a wormhole-based portal, you could travel great distances in our space (or time) by travelling only a small distance. It wouldn't be instant (not that a teleporter would be either).

(17-10-2013 07:45 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I have no idea about this one. It seems a bit scary and definitely wouldn't want to be the first to try.

Even if you weren't the first to try, you wouldn't be able to tell with any experiment if the person had died and what you were seeing was a perfect copy or if it was actually them. If you asked them in either scenario they would assure you that they were the real one.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

17-10-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm be afraid of turning into Brundlefly.

No, but I think if it worked perfectly, it would just be taking apart the building blocks of a person, moving them, and reassembling. And if it truly reassembled, then why not consider the end product the same as the beginning person? In Star Trek, they're only "destroyed" in the sense of being broken down, it's still them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2013, 10:25 PM
(17-10-2013 08:43 PM)amyb Wrote:  I'm be afraid of turning into Brundlefly.

No, but I think if it worked perfectly, it would just be taking apart the building blocks of a person, moving them, and reassembling. And if it truly reassembled, then why not consider the end product the same as the beginning person? In Star Trek, they're only "destroyed" in the sense of being broken down, it's still them.

How will those building blocks get transported in the first place? Through the air? How could you make sure they don't get mixed up or float off somewhere or run into something.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
18-10-2013, 01:52 AM
I heard it said that every 7 years every atom in your body is replaced. Now I know this isn't true(cause I know things). Some atoms do get swapped out over time but not all. But suppose it were true. How is the process of atoms being swapped out over a 7 year period any different then a process of teleportation which might take 7 seconds?

I ask because if suppose every atom in your body did get swapped out over a 7 year period would you still think of yourself as you? Sure you would. So why should you be worried about a teleportation process that essentially swaps out all your atoms in 7 seconds?