Televangelists, preachers, do the believe?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Televangelists, preachers, do the believe?
Ok this video has sparked a thought with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkADn8m4_...L&index=64

When you see televangelists, or just general preachers wiping their brow praising Jesus out of one side of their mouth, and begging for money with the other just how FAKE are these folks? I ask because gut reaction is completely and totally fake, scam artists. However if I really think about it some of these people go to great great lengths to pull these scams off, and can be quite convincing in the depth of their belief so I start to wonder is their scam so good that they themselves are falling for it? I mean I don't know? I mean if it were a get rich scam wouldn't you just run it for a while and then dissappear to Aruba with all the money. Is it a power trip? Are they actually insane? Do some of them believe their own bullshit? Are their any books written by this type of person who has changed their ways? Theirs a guy in my city named Rod Parsley he's somewhat national so some of you may know him, but I often look at this and think hom much of his own shit is he buying? What do you all think. I know the original video was about more standard type clergy, and I actually do feel sorry for them, because they aren't just losing their faith they are losing their livelyhood, and in general they aren't doing that much harm. So if have thoughts on that conondrum that's fine too.
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2011, 01:10 AM
RE: Televangelists, preachers, do the believe?
(15-02-2011 10:33 AM)Dregs Wrote:  When you see televangelists, or just general preachers wiping their brow praising Jesus out of one side of their mouth, and begging for money with the other just how FAKE are these folks? I ask because gut reaction is completely and totally fake, scam artists.
Mine, too. I see them as total fakes.
' Wrote:However if I really think about it some of these people go to great great lengths to pull these scams off, and can be quite convincing in the depth of their belief so I start to wonder is their scam so good that they themselves are falling for it? I mean I don't know? I mean if it were a get rich scam wouldn't you just run it for a while and then dissappear to Aruba with all the money.
Why would they run off with the money? There is no danger of them going to jail for this. It is only when they get caught trying to hide their earnings from the IRS that they get in trouble with the the law. Would you leave a seven digit salary behind if there was no threat?
' Wrote:Is it a power trip?
For many, maybe all, absolutely.
' Wrote:Are they actually insane?
Maybe some, but most are just good con men.
' Wrote:Do some of them believe their own bullshit?
Yes, but not all.
' Wrote:Are their any books written by this type of person who has changed their ways?
I don't know of any, but I am sure that there are some.

I do not feel sorry for any clergy who lose their livelyhood. I never liked being lied to and making a carreer out of religion is to be a professional liar. Believing one's own lies just makes the liar that much more dangerous because real passion and personal conviction is extremely influencial.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2011, 11:40 PM
oh man, I hate this type of preacher the most, its just ridiculous the things they say and they expect me to believe them. plus at the end, its always about the money, they want you to donate bla bla bla..

televangelists.. urgh..
20-02-2011, 12:27 AM
What a business opportunity.
Product - empty words and phrases, stories and parables. Cost $0.00.
Profit margine - 100%.
Possible sales potential - 100s of millions of dollars.
Taxes - 0.

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
20-02-2011, 03:08 AM
One made a documentary about being a fake preacher once.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
20-02-2011, 03:25 AM

The thing with televangelists is that I'd say a good 90% of them are in it for themselves. With that being said it's hard to really say whether they truly believe in what they're selling, or if they're simply adopting the role of salesman.

As for preachers, I've found that a lot of them were sort of raised as children into that role, and that they "believe". Although I find it hard to believe in something you've simply been indoctrinated into.
Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2011, 05:54 PM
(20-02-2011 03:25 AM)Diclonius Wrote:  The thing with televangelists is that I'd say a good 90% of them are in it for themselves. With that being said it's hard to really say whether they truly believe in what they're selling, or if they're simply adopting the role of salesman.

Some are definitely salesmen and nothing else. Some of them believe what they say. They are all full of crap.

' Wrote:As for preachers, I've found that a lot of them were sort of raised as children into that role, and that they "believe". Although I find it hard to believe in something you've simply been indoctrinated into.

There are preachers who have lost their belief in god and the bible (many from reading and researching the bible) who are now stuck in a job they no longer believe in because they have no other job options.

They should try politics because they have the skills for politics (lying and fabricating stories) plus they have the acceptance (being thought of as religious) especially in the bible belt. Now that they no longer believe, but religious voters think that they do, they can work secretly to undermine religious attempts to influence the government.

I do know of one case for sure that this is happening. We need more.

20-02-2011, 07:06 PM
(20-02-2011 03:08 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  One made a documentary about being a fake preacher once.

What is it?

(hoping it's not really obvious, and you all think I'm an idiot right now)

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
21-02-2011, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2011 09:52 AM by TheSixthGlass.)
(20-02-2011 07:06 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  
(20-02-2011 03:08 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  One made a documentary about being a fake preacher once.

What is it?

(hoping it's not really obvious, and you all think I'm an idiot right now)

I forget the name of it, but it was made in the late 70s / early 80s I think. I found a link for it on youtube once (thought I had bookmarked it for later but I'm not sure where it's at now). I think the whole movie was on there.

Also, the link in the OP doesn't seem to be working for me.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
24-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I saw on post secret before that a preacher admitted to not believing in God. That he looks at other preachers as if to say, "Are you in on this joke too?"

If you are interested in post secret they have a website. Just to let you know. It is basically a way for people to send in their secrets so we all know that we aren't really alone in our views and how we feel about our lives.