Tell me about a time when a Christian made you feel judged or berated.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Tell me about a time when a Christian made you feel judged or berated.
My lesson this Sunday is about accepting others regardless of the situation.

I know that Christians have a habit of judging and excluding those that don't believe like they do.

So, please share a time when something like this happened to you.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2012, 11:31 AM
RE: Tell me about a time when a Christian made you feel judged or berated.
The last time I read a post from Egor.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
My mom is a fundamentalist. When I came out to her, this was her reply:

"Thank God you're not my real son..."

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
What's wrong with being judged and/or berated? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
The problem is when judgement becomes condemnation and when berating becomes violence.
That's the time to take a stand.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I don't understand why your church would want to accept others, when they don't even accept evidence.
"We don't accept observed reality but we want to accept you and your wallet into our church"

Christians do make judgements, very very poor judgements.
"Is this theory plausible ? All the evidence doesn't seem to jive with the bible, so this theory isn't plausible"

And on the idea of excluding those that don't believe. That falls right in with the exclusion of observed reality, in favor of a fantasy explanation.

So we have a group of people who make poor judgements and exclude all those things that don't jive with what they believe, but yet you say they want to be accepting of others regardless of the situation. - Good luck with that

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-07-2012, 12:02 PM
(03-07-2012 11:36 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  My mom is a fundamentalist. When I came out to her, this was her reply:

"Thank God you're not my real son..."

This makes me sad.
For you, I shall make the requested change. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I have a friend who is a Christian and believes people cannot be moral without god. People can be moral without god or the god they believe in. If you want to engage with people, telling them they are immoral without getting to know the is probably not a good idea.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
03-07-2012, 12:19 PM
(03-07-2012 12:07 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I have a friend who is a Christian and believes people cannot be moral without god. People can be moral without god or the god they believe in. If you want to engage with people, telling them they are immoral without getting to know the is probably not a good idea.

That's almost like saying "Hey you can't be moral without a morality stone in your pocket. You can buy one on my website for only a $1. If you look around at all the immoral things that happen in life and you realize that these people didn't have a morality stone in their pocket, it all begins to make sense"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
03-07-2012, 12:27 PM
(03-07-2012 12:19 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 12:07 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I have a friend who is a Christian and believes people cannot be moral without god. People can be moral without god or the god they believe in. If you want to engage with people, telling them they are immoral without getting to know the is probably not a good idea.

That's almost like saying "Hey you can't be moral without a morality stone in your pocket. You can buy one on my website for only a $1. If you look around at all the immoral things that happen in life and you realize that these people didn't have a morality stone in their pocket, it all begins to make sense"

I've tilted at that windmill too many times to expect him to clue in.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
03-07-2012, 12:33 PM
If I feel berated / judged it means I damn well deserved it. The only one who can condemn me is me.

But I still get kinda pissed sometimes.

Like there's this guy who's a close friend, but he keeps posting Ray Comfort videos + passive aggressive comments on facebook about abortion. I tried debating him and his friends once, on the principle that I despised all the agreement he was getting, but it didn't do any good. And that was one of the few occasions where I did get judged and resented it - if you ever wanna piss me off mightily, just call me stupid then say something incredibly dumb. I will die of apoplexy and you can claim victory when I don't reply.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post