Tell me about a time when a Christian made you feel judged or berated.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
RE: Tell me about a time when a Christian made you feel judged or berated.
I don't have to deal with religious retards over here, thankfully.

(03-07-2012 11:36 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  My mom is a fundamentalist. When I came out to her, this was her reply:

"Thank God you're not my real son..."

That is a disgrace. If that happened to me, I would probably be thinking "thank god you are not my real mother". You must have been through a lot of hardship.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Magoo's post
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
This didn't happen to me but a friend:

Her mother is a fundamentalist. When my friend's daughter died of cancer at the age of 5, my friends mother told my friend: "This is your fault, god is punishing you because you went to Vegas and drank and gambled."

My friend never go over this, losing a kid is traumatic to start with, and one's own mother saying such a thing - just despicable IMO.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
03-07-2012, 03:43 PM
(03-07-2012 11:36 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  My mom is a fundamentalist. When I came out to her, this was her reply:

"Thank God you're not my real son..."
This really really pisses me off. When they adopted you she agreed to "unconditional". What is it about that she doesn't get ? Did she ever think, that 30 years from now, that's what you would remember about that moment ? You should have met with so much better.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
03-07-2012, 03:53 PM
(03-07-2012 11:18 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  My lesson this Sunday is about accepting others regardless of the situation.

I know that Christians have a habit of judging and excluding those that don't believe like they do.

So, please share a time when something like this happened to you.

I have reached a point where I don't feel berated by any Christian or atheist for that matter.

As for being judged; essentially I see myself as soul....oops, sole arbiter..... Cool
[+] 4 users Like Mr Woof's post
03-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Well I had my ass beaten pretty good by six Catholics at work because I was "oppressing their beliefs" The grand tally when it occurred was one atheist (me) and around a dozen theists. The worst part is they were asking me questions, and when I said I thought the things god does in the bible are horrible, they lost it and turned into a mob.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
03-07-2012, 04:16 PM
(03-07-2012 04:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Well I had my ass beaten pretty good by six Catholics at work because I was "oppressing their beliefs" The grand tally when it occurred was one atheist (me) and around a dozen theists. The worst part is they were asking me questions, and when I said I thought the things god does in the bible are horrible, they lost it and turned into a mob.
Actually beat you up? Wow... good Christians ftw Dodgy Not much other cheek turning going on there.
03-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Anytime there's a public moment of prayer for whatever global tragedy or celebrity death, I feel judged for not closing my eyes and lowering my head with the rest of the sheep. There have been plenty of actual personal confrontations by a bewildered and holier than thou christian, but I actually enjoy those. I feel honored to be an atheist. Like all the other sheep heading to the slaughterhouse are laughing at me for stepping out of line. Just cause I have a crazy notion about the true nature of the slaughterhouse.

But here's a recent story. One of my bowling league team members is gay and a good friend of mine. He has 2 adopted sons that he brings with him to the bowling alley because they think I'm funny. So I told my mom about my gay friend and his sons and his husband and my religious mom, who is otherwise a completely loving and caring and sane individual towards everyone... scoffs and goes, "That's disgusting. They should take those kids away from him." I just sat there in stunned silence because she had never really voiced an opinion like that until she recently became religious (due to cancer).

You judge my friends, you judge me.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
03-07-2012, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2012 06:30 PM by Thomas.)
KC..credit for going there. I hope you are successful in getting the message out.
The problem with "feeling" the religious putdown is that if you are secure in your position you should not feel the insult. The emotional response is one's lack of security in what one believes.
Any comments from the religious intending to harm me are not possible.
Imagine someone taking you to task because you dare to believe that the earth is round and revolves around the sun. Would you be upset? Not at all. The attack would be silly.
Any religious dogma thrown at me, "You're going to burn in hell you filthy atheist", is just as silly as the flat earth argument.
I imagine a religious believer who is secure in their belief would have the same reaction to an atheist telling them that they are delusional for their beliefs.
If I were standing in your class "witnessing" as an atheist I would tell your class that I could care less about their acceptance of me. Their acceptance of others is for them, not others.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 4 users Like Thomas's post
03-07-2012, 06:26 PM
(03-07-2012 04:34 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Anytime there's a public moment of prayer for whatever global tragedy or celebrity death, I feel judged for not closing my eyes and lowering my head with the rest of the sheep. There have been plenty of actual personal confrontations by a bewildered and holier than thou christian, but I actually enjoy those. I feel honored to be an atheist. Like all the other sheep heading to the slaughterhouse are laughing at me for stepping out of line. Just cause I have a crazy notion about the true nature of the slaughterhouse.

But here's a recent story. One of my bowling league team members is gay and a good friend of mine. He has 2 adopted sons that he brings with him to the bowling alley because they think I'm funny. So I told my mom about my gay friend and his sons and his husband and my religious mom, who is otherwise a completely loving and caring and sane individual towards everyone... scoffs and goes, "That's disgusting. They should take those kids away from him." I just sat there in stunned silence because she had never really voiced an opinion like that until she recently became religious (due to cancer).

You judge my friends, you judge me.
You judge a minority, you judge me. Any minority. If you have that kind of hateful attitude towards gays/blacks/Jews/women/etc you may well have that kind of hateful attitude towards me as an atheist.

Makes me kinda sad, actually. Not for myself - for you.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
03-07-2012, 06:52 PM
(03-07-2012 04:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 04:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Well I had my ass beaten pretty good by six Catholics at work because I was "oppressing their beliefs" The grand tally when it occurred was one atheist (me) and around a dozen theists. The worst part is they were asking me questions, and when I said I thought the things god does in the bible are horrible, they lost it and turned into a mob.
Actually beat you up? Wow... good Christians ftw Dodgy Not much other cheek turning going on there.
Funny thing is, I didn't walk away feeling like I was pissing blood for two weeks because a bunch of Catholics beat me up. I walked away feeling like a bunch of assholes beat me up, and used their religion as an excuse to do so.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post