Tell me about a time when a Christian made you feel judged or berated.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
RE: Tell me about a time when a Christian made you feel judged or berated.
(03-07-2012 06:52 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 04:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  Actually beat you up? Wow... good Christians ftw Dodgy Not much other cheek turning going on there.
Funny thing is, I didn't walk away feeling like I was pissing blood for two weeks because a bunch of Catholics beat me up. I walked away feeling like a bunch of assholes beat me up, and used their religion as an excuse to do so.
Did anything further happen? Retribution? Lawsuit? Charges?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2012, 07:19 PM
When the boss gave me a hassle about keeping my mouth shut about stuff like that I said fuck it, and dealt with them myself. One at a time.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
03-07-2012, 08:02 PM
One kind of cold, rainy, yucky night two women rang the doorbell at our old house in SC. They were from one of the local Baptist churches and had come to give me cookies, some pamphlets, and an invitation to attend their church services. I think it may have been a mother and her daughter that was around twenty.

I asked them in because the weather was so bad. We talked a few minutes and then the older lady asked me what religion I was. I answered that I was raised a Catholic. She actually gasped, had a horrified look on her face and then she made her exit. I am still a little surprised she didn't take her cookies back.

I was polite to them, there was nothing unusual about what they could see in our house. I wasn't expecting to be treated like that in my own home by "Christians" trying to get me to come to their church. Since then it's been hard for me to be polite when someone shows up at my door trying to convert and/or save me.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
03-07-2012, 08:15 PM
(03-07-2012 08:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  One kind of cold, rainy, yucky night two women rang the doorbell at our old house in SC. They were from one of the local Baptist churches and had come to give me cookies, some pamphlets, and an invitation to attend their church services. I think it may have been a mother and her daughter that was around twenty.

I asked them in because the weather was so bad. We talked a few minutes and then the older lady asked me what religion I was. I answered that I was raised a Catholic. She actually gasped, had a horrified look on her face and then she made her exit. I am still a little surprised she didn't take her cookies back.

I was polite to them, there was nothing unusual about what they could see in our house. I wasn't expecting to be treated like that in my own home by "Christians" trying to get me to come to their church. Since then it's been hard for me to be polite when someone shows up at my door trying to convert and/or save me.

Hope you enjoyed the cookies Anje. Yumma! Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
04-07-2012, 12:24 AM
(03-07-2012 07:19 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  When the boss gave me a hassle about keeping my mouth shut about stuff like that I said fuck it, and dealt with them myself. One at a time.
Sounds like one of these revenge movies.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
04-07-2012, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2012 03:19 AM by Science Believer.)
(03-07-2012 12:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  if you ever wanna piss me off mightily, just call me stupid then say something incredibly dumb. I will die of apoplexy and you can claim victory when I don't reply.
You mean like this?
You're stupid and The Avengers sucked!!!

Anyway, right now is a good example. I sent this link to a Catholic friend. I asked him how he could follow a church that does things like this. Bam! 20 more friends come out of the woodwork to berate me for "persecuting" him.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
04-07-2012, 03:27 AM
(04-07-2012 03:15 AM)Science Believer Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 12:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  if you ever wanna piss me off mightily, just call me stupid then say something incredibly dumb. I will die of apoplexy and you can claim victory when I don't reply.
You mean like this?

You're stupid and The Avengers sucked!!!
Bah. That's a light tickle. Besides which I haven't watched the Avengers... Tongue Yes indeed, I do live under a rock...

Anyway, not like I'm a stranger to being called stupid Tongue It's when people do the condescending prick routine that I get tense. "Oh, you're stupid. If you were older/wiser/more of a dickhead then you'd have no choice but to concede that I am right." Raaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
04-07-2012, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2012 07:13 AM by Anjele.)
KC,
You and I have talked about a good friend of mine who is quite solid in her faith. She and I have often discussed religion and where we stand on those issues. I do not question her faith because it just is. She lives it, it radiates from her. However, she is a real person who came from a very shaky background so she never judges anyone else. She has become to me what is best about those who are Christian.

She told me that it isn't her job to push Christ onto people but that God will reveal himself to people in his own way and his his own time.

Now, I am not saying I believe this to be true, but what it says to me is that her faith is from within. You can't force it on someone else to feel the same way. I certainly can't doubt the validity of her faith because she lives it.

I guess what I am trying to say is the best way to be a Christian is to show your belief in how you live, not in how many people you can convince to profess the same belief system.

Adding: I think the word I was looking for here is 'genuine'.

Not sure how clear this is, there is just something different about my friend Kimberly. She stands out in my mind as the most honest in her faith. You can tell she isn't just saying it, she really feels it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-07-2012, 01:51 PM
(03-07-2012 08:15 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 08:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am still a little surprised she didn't take her cookies back.

Hope you enjoyed the cookies Anje. Yumma! Drinking Beverage

Consider How do I - a known Atheist - get people to deliver free cookies to my door... and then just leave?

All hail the fearsome power of the damned. Evil_monster

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Back when I lived in the city, the church down the road used to bring us cookies and stuff all the time. I'd also go out with them to shovel sidewalks for people who were elderly or injured.

Best cookies ever! Plus, they were pretty cool people, and kept the preaching to a minimum. (they used to tease me that I was their only atheist congregation member. Even though I never once attended services there. Lol)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post