Tell me your definition atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Tell me your definition atheism
I joined this forum because I wanted to hear the other viewpoints on atheism. I want to hear what you guys see in atheism and how you came across it.

I came across atheism when one of my friends in high school told me about atheism during break time. He told me that, "There are going to be people who are going to hate you for who are, but atheism is a little different." I wanted to learn about the atheist culture myself. So I traveled around the world meeting dozens of people in Greece, France, etc. where I met several atheists who had strong moral compasses but their definitions of atheism were different from my friend.

When I came back home and told my friend about what I heard he said these words and I lived by these words my entire life.

"That's the beauty of atheism, the many different atheists are what make this planet beautiful. However one thing you should remember Paul is that atheism can destroy my friend. Use your definition to cherish your life forever my friend!"

I want to hear what you guys have to say. I want to learn about atheism though your eyes. Please respond.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2014, 02:32 PM
RE: Tell me your definition atheism
There are a lot of different sub-groups of atheists. With the exception of TrainWreck, who had his own ontological issues, the generally agreed upon definition of the term is simply "not convinced of the existence one or more deities."

We all get here by different paths, but at the core most of us at one point or another looked at the claims and stories about gods, compared that to what we know from other sources, and became convinced that the claims were not sufficiently credible.

Past that, there are all kinds and types and personal stories here.

Jesus is my Stalker: He has graced me with his unconditional love, but if I reject it and refuse to love him in return, he will make my life Hell.
[+] 1 user Likes djhall's post
19-05-2014, 02:39 PM
(19-05-2014 02:19 PM)Paul Linfor Wrote:  I joined this forum because I wanted to hear the other viewpoints on atheism. I want to hear what you guys see in atheism and how you came across it.

I came across atheism when one of my friends in high school told me about atheism during break time. He told me that, "There are going to be people who are going to hate you for who are, but atheism is a little different." I wanted to learn about the atheist culture myself. So I traveled around the world meeting dozens of people in Greece, France, etc. where I met several atheists who had strong moral compasses but their definitions of atheism were different from my friend.

When I came back home and told my friend about what I heard he said these words and I lived by these words my entire life.

"That's the beauty of atheism, the many different atheists are what make this planet beautiful. However one thing you should remember Paul is that atheism can destroy my friend. Use your definition to cherish your life forever my friend!"

I want to hear what you guys have to say. I want to learn about atheism though your eyes. Please respond.

I was born an atheist, and luckily, my parents felt no obligation to subject me to any religion nor to brainwash me into believing in imaginary super-sky-spies. So I grew up learning to think for myself rather than to subjugate my rationality to any ancient (or modern) mythology.

As for your "wise" friend, I totally agree that the infinite variety of atheists is one of the things that make this world beautiful. But I totally disagree that "atheism can destroy".

Atheism doesn't exist. It's not a thing. It's not a belief system. Instead, it's the LACK of certain other belief systems (specifically religion). Since atheism is not a thing, it has no power to do anything; it cannot create, destroy, change, or in any other way affect anything at all.

You asked what I see in atheism. Nothing. Because atheism doesn't exist. Your question is exactly like asking me what I see in my viewpoint that unicorns don't exist. My acceptance of the fact that unicorns seem not to exist has no impact on me. I don't "see" anything in my stance that unicorns don't exist. Likewise, I don't "see" anything in my stance that gods don't exist.

You should first get your head around the idea that atheism is not a thing. Just like aunicornism (the lack of belief in unicorns) is not a thing. We don't have a word like aunicornism because pretty much everybody in the world shares this viewpoint so nobody feels like we need a word to describe us all. Unfortunately, this is not the case with atheism - nearly everybody in the world (well, the vast majority) believe in some god(s) so we feel like we need a word to describe the rest of us, hence, atheism.

But it is still, at best, just a description of a person who doesn't believe in god(s). And it's a bad one at that. If you describe someone as tall, or smart, or grumpy, or obese, or elderly, or Belgian, or educated, or just about any other thing, then everyone who hears your description can form a better mental picture of that person. But describing someone as atheist only tells you something that person is NOT, rather than something he is, and it doesn't really help you form a better mental picture of that person.

Any more than describing that person as someone who doesn't believe in unicorns.

And I suspect you would agree with me that our lack of belief in unicorns has no power to destroy anything.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 7 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
19-05-2014, 02:40 PM
We atheists are bloodthirsty Satan worshippers. We sacrifice kittens under a full Moon, we dance naked on hill tops, we drink blood, and eat shit.

Join us...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
19-05-2014, 02:53 PM
I do not believe in gods or supernatural beings, thus i am atheist.

I believe religion is a poison that needs to be destroyed, thus I am an anti-theist.

I am also a gay atheist, thus I am a gaytheist Tongue

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
[+] 3 users Like Blackhand293's post
19-05-2014, 02:58 PM
(19-05-2014 02:40 PM)Sam Wrote:  We atheists are bloodthirsty Satan worshippers. We sacrifice kittens under a full Moon, we dance naked on hill tops, we drink blood, and eat shit.

Join us...
You forgot the BBQ'd babies...
[+] 2 users Like DunkleSeele's post
19-05-2014, 03:26 PM
(19-05-2014 02:39 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 02:19 PM)Paul Linfor Wrote:  I joined this forum because I wanted to hear the other viewpoints on atheism. I want to hear what you guys see in atheism and how you came across it.

I was born an atheist, and luckily, my parents felt no obligation to subject me to any religion nor to brainwash me into believing in imaginary super-sky-spies. So I grew up learning to think for myself rather than to subjugate my rationality to any ancient (or modern) mythology.

As for your "wise" friend, I totally agree that the infinite variety of atheists is one of the things that make this world beautiful. But I totally disagree that "atheism can destroy".

Atheism doesn't exist. It's not a thing. It's not a belief system. Instead, it's the LACK of certain other belief systems (specifically religion). Since atheism is not a thing, it has no power to do anything; it cannot create, destroy, change, or in any other way affect anything at all.

You asked what I see in atheism. Nothing. Because atheism doesn't exist. Your question is exactly like asking me what I see in my viewpoint that unicorns don't exist. My acceptance of the fact that unicorns seem not to exist has no impact on me. I don't "see" anything in my stance that unicorns don't exist. Likewise, I don't "see" anything in my stance that gods don't exist.

You should first get your head around the idea that atheism is not a thing. Just like aunicornism (the lack of belief in unicorns) is not a thing. We don't have a word like aunicornism because pretty much everybody in the world shares this viewpoint so nobody feels like we need a word to describe us all. Unfortunately, this is not the case with atheism - nearly everybody in the world (well, the vast majority) believe in some god(s) so we feel like we need a word to describe the rest of us, hence, atheism.

But it is still, at best, just a description of a person who doesn't believe in god(s). And it's a bad one at that. If you describe someone as tall, or smart, or grumpy, or obese, or elderly, or Belgian, or educated, or just about any other thing, then everyone who hears your description can form a better mental picture of that person. But describing someone as atheist only tells you something that person is NOT, rather than something he is, and it doesn't really help you form a better mental picture of that person.

Any more than describing that person as someone who doesn't believe in unicorns.

And I suspect you would agree with me that our lack of belief in unicorns has no power to destroy anything.

This this this!

People ask how we define atheism as if it's a cultural thing...as religion can be. All it means is lack of belief in god(s). We are only without theism. There is no collective mindset about anything else.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-05-2014, 04:22 PM
You are clearly not an atheist. Your entire post is an obvious fabrication. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
19-05-2014, 04:26 PM
It's got nothing to do with opinions.

[Image: 89620d373445b7fa5bc4d1c14a813700.png]

Also, why does your post feel..... off? Consider

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
19-05-2014, 04:32 PM
(19-05-2014 02:39 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  But it is still, at best, just a description of a person who doesn't believe in god(s). And it's a bad one at that. If you describe someone as tall, or smart, or grumpy, or obese, or elderly, or Belgian, or educated, or just about any other thing, then everyone who hears your description can form a better mental picture of that person. But describing someone as atheist only tells you something that person is NOT, rather than something he is, and it doesn't really help you form a better mental picture of that person.

Yup.

We could always introduced ourselves like this
"Hi Paul, I'm not a theist".

Or if you are indeed a grumpy, obese, elderly Belgian you could walk right up to Paul and say "Hi Paul, I'm not a happy, skinny, young Muldovian, pleased to meet you".

Neither has told Paul anything other than what I am not, nothing about who or what I am. Imagine if you had to tell someone all the things you aren't so that by a process of elimination you could arrive at a decription of the person Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce