Telling Lies.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2013, 09:03 PM
RE: Telling Lies.
Eh, it is overrated, IMO. Honesty is the best policy in some situations, perhaps.

It probably depends most on how well a person can tolerate the truth.Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Altruism trumps Honesty.
Lying for non altruistic (selfish) reasons is wrong.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
22-12-2013, 10:06 PM
(15-12-2013 05:10 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  (4) The answer to the question "does this make my butt look fat?"
is always "no". Just trust me on this one.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 1 user Likes Crulax's post
23-12-2013, 02:48 AM
I don't consider lying to be a horrible thing to do. In fact I expect people to lie. My policy is to avoid lying as much as possible in order to maintain a "clean conscience" as well as the trust between me and others. Also, unintelligent lies...those that can come back and bite you some day...are best left completely avoided. I expect everything I say to be shared behind my back. I expect people to call me out, so it isn't beneficial to lie in most cases. Believe it or not, I rarely lie. I'm much more likely to just not let a conversation get to a point where I would be forced into a situation where I would have a reason to lie.

Sometime lying produces the best results for a situation, where it is very unlikely to come back and bite you, or when the positives outweigh the negatives. Such as kids lying to their parents saying they believe in god, when they don't.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
23-12-2013, 05:39 AM
(23-12-2013 02:48 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  In fact I expect people to lie. My policy is to avoid lying as much as possible in order to maintain a "clean conscience" as well as the trust between me and others. Also, unintelligent lies...those that can come back and bite you some day...are best left completely avoided. I expect everything I say to be shared behind my back. I expect people to call me out, so it isn't beneficial to lie in most cases.
Total agreement.Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
26-12-2013, 12:19 PM
(15-12-2013 03:39 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Its probably the biggest hypocrisy in the bible, for the believers.

Only 10 "major (displayed/known) commandments" and there is probably not a single Christian who has not broken this one.
How can we take their argument seriously when they ignore the commandments when it suits them, as if they know when god is giving out hall passes.

What you have said, paired with the fact that the Christian god, himself, cannot even follow his own rules, makes for one clusterfunk of fallacy.
28-12-2013, 12:45 PM
My relationship with my dad has been ruined to the point that I don't even speak to him anymore because of his propensity for lying which is why I try to be honest all of the time. What I've seen with my relationship with my dad and my parents' disastrous marriage is that lying about small things leads to lying about bigger things. Yes, there are some instances where lying is probably necessary or the best option but those instances are rare.

Basically I've learned that while telling the truth is not always the easiest thing to do, it is almost always the best thing to do.