Telling Your Parents You're An Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2012, 06:47 PM
RE: Telling Your Parents You're An Atheist
Burn a bible, that'll convince them you're serious.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
07-10-2012, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 06:56 PM by Atothetheist.)
(07-10-2012 06:47 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Burn a bible, that'll convince them you're serious.

Prehaps... Maybe you should smash a Skrillex CD, or delete all Dubstep... Just so I can appease you God earmuffs...

Remember, Dubstep is for the stupidBig Grin

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
07-10-2012, 06:51 PM
(07-10-2012 06:48 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 06:47 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Burn a bible, that'll convince them you're serious.

Prehaps... Maybe you should smash a Skrillex CD, or delete all Dubstep... Just so you can appease you God earmuffs...

He says to smash dubstep CDs so I'm mad, but then he calls me God so I'm happy...

I'M SO CONFUSED BY THIS POST! HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-10-2012, 06:56 PM
(07-10-2012 06:51 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(07-10-2012 06:48 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Prehaps... Maybe you should smash a Skrillex CD, or delete all Dubstep... Just so you can appease you God earmuffs...

He says to smash dubstep CDs so I'm mad, but then he calls me God so I'm happy...

I'M SO CONFUSED BY THIS POST! HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

Umad?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
07-10-2012, 07:09 PM
[Image: 128845982460274916.jpg]

07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Derailed?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-10-2012, 09:49 PM
It is a personal choice, and you just need to use your judgement to determine what your best actions are based on your circumstances. If you are determined to tell them, I would recommend telling them together so there is no conversations about you behind your back until you make yourself clear. Just be honest. I personally have never told my parents or in-laws. It would create a lot of tension, and nothing good would come of it. I have made it clear (to the respective people) that my beliefs are not the same as theirs, and that was enough for them. I see no reason to cause them undue worry about my immortal soul, and cause divisions in the family (which may happen on my wife's side of the family). I am open with my friends, co-workers, fellow students, business partners, whatever, but in the family, I figure it is best to just not talk about it.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

07-10-2012, 10:25 PM

Lmao. That is sure to give a true bible thumper a heart attack. It is also sure to get a 17 year old booted out of the house and disowned.
08-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend bible burning until you're out on your own; own place or at least in college or something. I mean, I half-regretted being so open about it as a teenager just because my mom threw away a few record albums, tshirts, books and fanzines (because I had a paper route and it took a long time to make the money to buy these things). That, and they suddenly thought I was a devil worshiper and wouldn't even let me hang out with my friends as much as I could before. These things tend to bleed over into other domains. You say you don't believe in their god, and suddenly they stop buying you pizza on the weekend, etc. You have to weigh the pros and cons.

I actually burned a copy of Josh McDowell's "New Evidence that Demands a Verdict" (an apologist book) recently just to get some angst out, and it was a lot of fun. I don't burn the Bibles I have because I refer back to them sometimes just to show I know them better than most christians.

A decade and a half later, it still gets weird sometimes with my mom. She still invites me to church around Xmas and Easter (I say I'd be glad to have dinner with/hang out with relatives on these holidays, but I'd prefer not to attend church. I do feel a bit out of place there, and I only go into churches for weddings and funerals.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 02:33 AM
I can only speak from my own personal experience. Hopefully it'll help in some small way.

For me, it was never a matter of "telling them" in any official way. I didn't have to gather everyone around the living room and "come out", so to speak. It was really just more of a gradual acceptance on their part. This was probably to be expected, since it was a gradual process on my part as well. I would just make a skeptical comment here or there, maybe be found reading some sort of atheistic literature; things like that. Eventually, it just became who I am.

In my experience, a slow-boil was a lot smoother than suddenly being dropped into the pot. Before they knew it, I was an atheist and that's just the way it was.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user