Telling my parents I'm atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 05:53 PM
RE: Telling my parents I'm atheist
There is a lot of good advice here. You should not feel guilty if you keep your atheism secret. At this point in your life that knowledge may not help anyone and it may unnecessarily hurt those you love. I made the mistake of announcing to my family that I was an atheist when I was 14. I'd been an atheist most of my life, at least since I was 6, and it didn't do me any good. My parents threw me out of the house [I went to live with my paternal grandparents] and it tainted our relationship for the rest of their lives. Be careful how much you let people know about your deepest thoughts and bring them into your mind only after careful deliberation of the potential harm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
23-12-2014, 08:01 AM
(22-12-2014 01:27 AM)Thefiresnacks Wrote:  I'm 14 and be been an atheist for about a year now....

Good luck to you, especially in whatever you decide to do about telling your parents.

All I can offer is the suggestion that 14 is just too young to be an Anything, theist, atheist, whatever, any "ist" or "ism" etc.

You simply don't have enough experience to have the slightest clue whether there is a god or not, and that probably applies to the rest of us as well.

The questions you have may prove to be far more important and useful than any answer you'll ever find. Perhaps you could tell your parents you have questions on these issues?

Again, good luck!
23-12-2014, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2014 10:21 AM by Mathilda.)
(23-12-2014 08:01 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  You simply don't have enough experience to have the slightest clue whether there is a god or not, and that probably applies to the rest of us as well.

You can make the same argument about the entire population. At what age can you say that you have enough experience to say that there is a god or not?

It's also extremely patronising. When I was 14 year old I managed to figure out enough logical inconsistencies with what I was being taught, I managed to ask enough questions that could not be answered and read books by other people who had also asked similar questions.

Many people on this forum will say that they never really believed when they were that age or even younger.

14 years old is old enough. Evidence for this is that most children figure out that Santa Clause does not exist at a far younger age.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
23-12-2014, 10:03 AM
(23-12-2014 08:01 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
(22-12-2014 01:27 AM)Thefiresnacks Wrote:  I'm 14 and be been an atheist for about a year now....

Good luck to you, especially in whatever you decide to do about telling your parents.

All I can offer is the suggestion that 14 is just too young to be an Anything, theist, atheist, whatever, any "ist" or "ism" etc.

You simply don't have enough experience to have the slightest clue whether there is a god or not, and that probably applies to the rest of us as well.

The questions you have may prove to be far more important and useful than any answer you'll ever find. Perhaps you could tell your parents you have questions on these issues?

Again, good luck!

I think that once a person reaches double digits, they are allowed to start forming an Identity with any ism they wish to investigate. True, this is not necessarily a permanent decision, but most decisions aren't. If Thefiresnacks doesn't believe in God, he is an atheist regardless of age, and permanency of belief.

Five hundred years ago, 14 was an adult, possibly married, and working on kids. There is a reason teenagers are traditionally called "young adults". That is what they are. Don't tell him he's too young to make decisions, in 4 years he's gonna be making some important ones. He may as well get practice now, so he's less likely to screw up his major/career choice.

Telling someone they are too young to decide things because they can't possibly think properly could make some really screwed up adults in the future.

Knights who say NI!
[+] 1 user Likes MPythonGirl's post
23-12-2014, 10:15 AM
(23-12-2014 08:01 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  

Again, good luck!

WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO TELL SOMEONE THAT THEY DON'T KNOW THEMSELF!

take a fucking hike ya damn fairy tale believing cunt.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
23-12-2014, 08:09 PM
(22-12-2014 01:27 AM)Thefiresnacks Wrote:  I'm 14 and be been an atheist for about a year now and I really want to tell my parents I just don't know how they will react most of my friends know I just feel like I really need to get this off my chest whenever I talk about this with my mom she gets all mad and she kinda flipped out when I found a bible in my room and said I did not want it with my dad I have talked about this at all with him because we have kinda a shaky relationship already and I'm just tired of living a lie and it feels like this giant cloud of guilt hovering above me

P.S I'm in 8th grade if that helps at all

Thefiresnacks,

Welcome to TTA!

Since you are the only one who has any idea of what your own parents are like you need to weigh everything said here, including what I’m writing, with what you know about them.

1. Be thoughtful, respectful and kind. Remember they do what they think is best for you.

2. I think that if they want you to read the Bible you should. Take lots of notes when you do. When you get to passages you don’t understand ask them to clarify. In my opinion there is no greater inspiration to become atheist than reading the Bible.

3. Others have already asked if there is anyone in your family you can confide in. Having an aunt, uncle or grandparent that you are close to that can keep your conversations confidential can do wonders to ease your mind. If you don’t have one a close friend at school can be a someone you can vent to and get some feedback. Keep in mind that your friends are also your age when you weigh their suggestions.

4. Do not feel guilty! There isn’t any reason to feel guilty. You’ve done nothing wrong! Questioning the world around you is what rational people do, welcome to the club!

Finally if you want to have a one on one conversation with anyone here just send them a PM.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
23-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Reminder:

Please remember that there is a Code of Conduct that applies to this section of the forum... "This section is a little different to the rest of the forum. Being provocative..." etc.

Please refrain.

Thanks.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Quote:You can make the same argument about the entire population.

Yes, I can, and I do. I'm a Fundamentalist Agnostic. :-)

Quote:At what age can you say that you have enough experience to say that there is a god or not?

Imho, there is no such age.

Quote:It's also extremely patronising.

Ok, but also extremely true.

Quote:Many people on this forum will say that they never really believed when they were that age or even younger.

So what? Believing or not believing does not qualify one to have a valid meaningful answer to such a HUGE question.

Quote:14 years old is old enough. Evidence for this is that most children figure out that Santa Clause does not exist at a far younger age.

Completely ludicrous comparison. Typical of atheist forums.

Billions of people over thousands of years in every corner of the world have believed in god, and nobody over the age of 8 believes in Santa Claus. This is not proof of god, just proof that comparing god to santa claus is silly.
24-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Ok, sorry, will retreat from thread so I don't stir up any more controversy, good plan, agreed.
24-12-2014, 08:44 AM
(23-12-2014 08:09 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  2. I think that if they want you to read the Bible you should. Take lots of notes when you do. When you get to passages you don’t understand ask them to clarify. In my opinion there is no greater inspiration to become atheist than reading the Bible.

Agreed 100%. Every atheist should read the Bible cover to cover once. Take notes, highlight passages, then talk to your parents about anything confusing, contradictory, cruel, violent, etc. You may wind up all three being atheists by the time you're done.

[Image: 98d3d__5576.jpg]