Telling my parents I'm atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2014, 09:20 AM
RE: Telling my parents I'm atheist
(24-12-2014 08:19 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  
Quote:14 years old is old enough. Evidence for this is that most children figure out that Santa Clause does not exist at a far younger age.

Completely ludicrous comparison. Typical of atheist forums.

Billions of people over thousands of years in every corner of the world have believed in god, and nobody over the age of 8 believes in Santa Claus. This is not proof of god, just proof that comparing god to santa claus is silly.

Both Santa Claus and God are mythical figures with absolutely no physical evidence of their existence.

Children get taught that both are real. They eventually realise that Santa Claus is not real because they only get taught about him around Christmas and the adults perpetuating the lie don't bother to keep it up after a few years.

What we get taught about God, Heaven, Hell, angels, souls and divine interference violates just as many known laws of Physics as Santa. The only difference is that the adults continue to believe in God.

14 years old is old enough to realise the flaws in the god myth in the same way that some younger children realise the flaws in the Santa myth before they are told.

Edit: Sorry forgot this is now in the Personal issues section so I won't continue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
24-12-2014, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2014 10:18 AM by Mr. Boston.)
My realization that Santa Claus was bullshit, led directly to the same realization about God, though admittedly it took a few years. The claims about Santa Claus, that he visits billions of homes bearing billions of gifts in a single night, are outlandishly ridiculous, and the evidence for his existence, basically that the presents arrive and the cookies get eaten, is insufficient to come anywhere near supporting the veracity of the claim. Once we reject the premise that "it's magic," it's fairly easy for most kids, or at least it was for me, to extrapolate that to the conclusion that the whole God idea is an even MORE outlandish claim, with even flimsier supporting evidence. It's eventually easy for most kids to surmise that Santa Claus and God are both the result of wishful thinking on the part of adults.

I think it's our natural instinct to be skeptical after a certain age of reason, about claims that are very difficult to believe. I'd say 14 is certainly an age by which we're asking good questions and looking for meaningful answers. Most parents, as their kids start asking about the practical implications of the Santa Claus myth, become apologists for Santa. Maybe time slows down for him on Christmas Eve, maybe his toy sack is magical, maybe his stomach can magically metabolize several million tons of cookies and enough milk to fill Lake Michigan. Apologists for theism essentially perform the same task, only for adults; attempting to come up with a set of ever-changing conditions under which the existence of a deity MIGHT be possible, when even a minimally-educated person's common sense would indicate it is not only unnecessary for the functioning of the natural universe, but also unsupported and unlikely.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
06-01-2015, 11:42 PM
So first of all sorry I haven't replied I've been trying to keep a down low I think my mom is catching on and she's gonna force me to go to church when we go to watch my sister graduate from the Air Force boot camp thing and I've basically told all of my friends most take it good some even agree with me I try to tell them subtlety with hints in a conversation but my mom just yells and shoots my convo down and I just don't have the confidence to say it bluntly any other help would be great

P.S thanks for all the replies this it a LOT more than I thought it would