Tempted to relapse......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Tempted to relapse......
I still consider myself to be a recovering catholic. But I find myself falling back into denial about my atheism and agnosticism.....and bargaining as well....trying to reconcile faith/religion with science/reason and logic.... Any suggestions or advice??? Thanks.....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2016, 01:50 PM
RE: Tempted to relapse......
Keep staying in contact with atheist friends. Keep reading books about the history of religion written by scholars such as Ehrman, Avalos, Carrier etc. Read books by Hitchens, Harrison, Dawkins, Loftus etc. Doing that helps purge your mind of the brainwashing.
24-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Grief is a physical phenomenon. When you lose a major part of your life (here, god) you grieve. Bargaining is one of the parts of grief. Next comes anger...

Sorry you have to go through that. Your brain is trying to fill a space that has become a void. Time will fill it with new things...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
24-10-2016, 01:58 PM
ty Jenmy.....my biggest issue was universalism and the afterlife. Most catholics say that even if we don't believe in God...we will still go to Heaven...but if I DO believe....but what if it was all a lie..myth....sham....and just a method and form of control and manipulation???
24-10-2016, 02:12 PM
(24-10-2016 01:58 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  ty Jenmy.....my biggest issue was universalism and the afterlife. Most catholics say that even if we don't believe in God...we will still go to Heaven...but if I DO believe....but what if it was all a lie..myth....sham....and just a method and form of control and manipulation???

But what makes you think Catholicism is true over all the thousands of religions that came before it? Think about that for a second. If you were born in India, would you even be thinking about the tenets of Catholicism?
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
24-10-2016, 02:18 PM
(24-10-2016 01:58 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  but what if it was all a lie..myth....sham....and just a method and form of control and manipulation???

Sadly it is not a "what if?"

Paganism outlasted xianity. Xianity is quite young. As is Islam by approximately 600 years younger than xianity.

Among the modern scholars I really only like Hitchens. I find Dawkins unbearably dry and others rather ignorant. Smile

One great old book that is written with vitality and humour is The philosophical dictionary, by Voltaire. His works got him thrown into the bastille! Smile

I would recommend that work written by one of the greatest writers in history over a more modern author other than Hitchens. Hitchens prose is sublime. Something the others lack.

Good luck.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
24-10-2016, 04:04 PM
It helps to keep in mind - that the ideas of "god" "salvation" and "eternal life" - are in the same vein as "Santa Claus", "The Tooth Fairy" and "Honest Politician"................

They're fun to believe in, comforting - but ultimately just a sucker's game.

Reality is harder - it requires genuine investigation, serious thinking, and more than just a bit of sweat - to come up with something definitive.............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Stay on the Dark Side! We have cookies.

http://www.christianitydisproved.com/

Yes, I do like this site, Shai Hulud! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
25-10-2016, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2016 11:26 AM by Velvet.)
(24-10-2016 01:48 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  I still consider myself to be a recovering catholic. But I find myself falling back into denial about my atheism and agnosticism.....and bargaining as well....trying to reconcile faith/religion with science/reason and logic.... Any suggestions or advice??? Thanks.....

I think it depends on why/how you are "becoming an atheist" in the first place.

In my case becoming an atheist was a consequence of skepticism and I deciding to never deceive myself, a matter of self-respect (I'm ok with being mistaken tho ofc).

So for me at least it doesn't really matter if I want to believe something or not, if its appealing to me or how confortable it is.

In the case of a God, Yahweh in particular its so unlikely its outright unreasonable due to his perfect attributes very clearly conflicting with what we can verify not only in the world but in the bible as well, as Stephen Fry said on his interview when asked what he would say to god if he died and realized god was real, he answered: "...bone cancer on children, whats that about?...''

You might wanna check Sam Harris's, Christopher Hitchens's debates...

And on a more casual approach you can watch atheist humorists like Bill Maher or Ricky Gervais, or even watch Atheist experience show (I consider it to be mostly humor material, but smart humor nonetheless)

If you have any troubling particular questions on the topic, some argument seems especially appealing to you or something like that, fell free to message me and I will happily discuss with you (if it is within my reach).

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/q...-73-07.jpg

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 2 users Like Velvet's post
25-10-2016, 06:12 AM
(24-10-2016 01:48 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  I still consider myself to be a recovering catholic. But I find myself falling back into denial about my atheism and agnosticism.....and bargaining as well....trying to reconcile faith/religion with science/reason and logic.... Any suggestions or advice??? Thanks.....

Are you inclined toward fundamentalist behavior? Could returning to Christianity negatively impact your emotional well being or how you live your life?