Tenants and Firearms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2013, 07:50 AM
RE: Tenants and Firearms
(08-08-2013 07:49 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 07:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  And that right is limited by tenants' rights.

The tenant agrees to the contract provided when the property is rented.

There are limits to what is allowed to be in the rental contract.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2013, 07:51 AM
(08-08-2013 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  There are limits to what is allowed to be in the rental contract.

Which should not restrict the landlord's right to prohibit firearms on his property.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2013, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 08:41 AM by Anjele.)
The reason I mentioned pets and firearms is because it was the way it was presented on a few sites when I posed the question. As in, as long as it's outlined in the lease and both the landlord and tenant agree to the terms then is would be a legal restriction allowed the owner of the property. Laws on what a landlord can or cannot disallow are going to vary a bit by jurisdiction.

At no point did I mean that having a gun or a loaded cat is the same thing. Just a similar line item as far as lease restrictions go.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
08-08-2013, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 08:31 AM by Chas.)
(08-08-2013 07:51 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  There are limits to what is allowed to be in the rental contract.

Which should not restrict the landlord's right to prohibit firearms on his property.

Sorry, DP.

08-08-2013, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 08:33 AM by Chas.)
(08-08-2013 07:51 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

The rights of the landlord in this matter have been judged subservient to the rights of the tenant.

What other restrictions should the landlord be allowed?
No atheists allowed?
No tenant shall pray on the property?
All tenants must keep Kosher?
No tenants can keep Kosher?
No meat allowed on the property?
No polyester allowed?

Edit: combined double post.

08-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Chas

That's why it's important to mind what you sign. You can sign your rights away. And the landlord can decide not to take a clause out if you refuse to rent with them.

So unfortunately, the landlord could put a number of restrictions on and have legal precedent to evict you if you break the clause. I got into a bad deal a few years back and had a lawyer help us out.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
08-08-2013, 08:23 AM
(08-08-2013 08:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 07:51 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Which should not restrict the landlord's right to prohibit firearms on his property.

The rights of the landlord in this matter have been judged subservient to the rights of the tenant.

What other restrictions should the landlord be allowed?
No atheists allowed?
No meat allowed?
Tenants are required to keep Kosher?
No polyester allowed?

Isn't restricting polyester a public service?

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
08-08-2013, 08:29 AM
(08-08-2013 08:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Chas

That's why it's important to mind what you sign. You can sign your rights away. And the landlord can decide not to take a clause out if you refuse to rent with them.

So unfortunately, the landlord could put a number of restrictions on and have legal precedent to evict you if you break the clause. I got into a bad deal a few years back and had a lawyer help us out.

There are restrictions that cannot be put in, there are rights you cannot sign away.

08-08-2013, 08:32 AM
(08-08-2013 08:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 08:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Chas

There are restrictions that cannot be put in, there are rights you cannot sign away.

If you challenge them in court you could potentially have a case. But you are more likely to just scare the landlord into dropping any issues (like I was able to do) because they know they won't win.

But they can still simply say "if you don't agree, then we won't rent to you." You can't do shit about that.

Evolve

Smartass
08-08-2013, 08:40 AM
The landlord can put whatever they like into the lease. Be it legal or not. If you agree to it, you have put yourself in a situation that may be next to impossible to get out of without shelling out major $$$$ to get legal help. I had the advantage of being in grad school with access to a university lawyer free of charge who deals specifically with lease issues and landlords.

Evolve

Smartass