Tenants and Firearms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2013, 09:17 AM
RE: Tenants and Firearms
(08-08-2013 09:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, it's not fine; it's not even legal.

Maybe where you live the landlord has all the rights. This is not so in Massachusetts and many other states.

I am not saying everyone has these rights. I am saying they should have those rights.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2013, 09:22 AM
(08-08-2013 09:17 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 09:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, it's not fine; it's not even legal.

Maybe where you live the landlord has all the rights. This is not so in Massachusetts and many other states.

I am not saying everyone has these rights. I am saying they should have those rights.

Which rights? The right to take away a tenant's rights?

Let's give landlords droite de seigneur, shall we?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Chas, you fail to realize that its the homeowners Private Property. They can rent it purely on their stipulations. Similar to how your right to free speech can be taken away on private property (I.E protestors coming onto someones front lawn to harrass them), the Homeowner can stipulate no Firearms.

Apartment complexes do it all the time, the one I lived in prohibited Firearms, Skateboards, and Pets. They are fully in their rights to do so. you can fight it all you want, but if you sign on the dotted line, you lose...period.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
08-08-2013, 09:30 AM
(08-08-2013 09:25 AM)Likos02 Wrote:  Chas, you fail to realize that its the homeowners Private Property. They can rent it purely on their stipulations. Similar to how your right to free speech can be taken away on private property (I.E protestors coming onto someones front lawn to harrass them), the Homeowner can stipulate no Firearms.

Apartment complexes do it all the time, the one I lived in prohibited Firearms, Skateboards, and Pets. They are fully in their rights to do so. you can fight it all you want, but if you sign on the dotted line, you lose...period.

Sorry, you are wrong. In many jurisdictions, the landlord may not stipulate certain things. In Massachusetts the tenant has the right to have firearms - the landlord may not restrict it.

You are also wrong about "Private Property". Once the owner rents out the property, it falls into a different class, following a different set of laws.

08-08-2013, 09:48 AM
(08-08-2013 09:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  Which rights? The right to take away a tenant's rights?

This is about the lease contract allowing tenants to live on the landlord's private property. It should be within legal bounds for the landlord to permit guns or not.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
08-08-2013, 09:56 AM
(08-08-2013 09:48 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 09:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  Which rights? The right to take away a tenant's rights?

This is about the lease contract allowing tenants to live on the landlord's private property. It should be within legal bounds for the landlord to permit guns or not.

It is no longer strictly private property when it is available to let. Different rules apply.

You also seem to be confusing 'is' and 'ought'.

08-08-2013, 09:57 AM
(08-08-2013 07:51 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 07:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  There are limits to what is allowed to be in the rental contract.

Which should not restrict the landlord's right to prohibit firearms on his property.

As soon as someone's paid rent, its their property as well for the duration.
08-08-2013, 10:01 AM
(08-08-2013 08:21 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You can sign your rights away.

Is that really true, in the US?

It's not true in Canada. You can't waive a constitutional right - any clause to that effect is unenforceable...

... this is my signature!
08-08-2013, 10:13 AM
(08-08-2013 08:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Went through that bullshit too of the landlord trying to evict me and my pregnant wife illegally.

That sucks. Sorry to hear that TBD. Sad

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
08-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Re: Tenants and Firearms
It was fucking bullshit is what it was.

But I did learn not to sign a lease with anything even remotely ambiguous that you might not agree to. Even if you think they can't reasonably enforce it, there is nothing stopping them from trying. And it can easily come back to bite you in the ass, even if you are legally correct.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2