Tenants and Firearms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2013, 10:15 AM
RE: Tenants and Firearms
(09-08-2013 10:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  As I stated much earlier in this increasingly circular discussion, Massachusetts courts ruled that the landlord cannot restrict the tenant's right to a firearm.

Landlords' rights are not unlimited - tenants have rights, too.

They are unable to restrict the tenant's right to owning a firearm. I doubt they can have it on their property if the lease says it is not allowed.

You are right, but the tenants agree to the lease. If they want to keep their gun on the rented property, find a landlord that allows it.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2013, 10:19 AM
(09-08-2013 10:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 09:56 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Nothing I have read indicates that these landlords are restricted in their right prohibit possession of a firearm on their property, even by any local level in the United States. Assuming you are correct, however, that still violates the rights of the landlord.

As I stated much earlier in this increasingly circular discussion, Massachusetts courts ruled that the landlord cannot restrict the tenant's right to a firearm.

Landlords' rights are not unlimited - tenants have rights, too.

Presumably a customer does too, but a store owner can refuse service and restrict those rights on their private store property. Is it not the same for landlord's and tenants?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-08-2013, 10:27 AM
And I am asking that sincerely by the way. I really don't know but I can't imagine why they couldn't.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
09-08-2013, 10:52 AM
The laws vary by jurisdiction - there isn't one answer. There are jurisdictions where the landlord cannot bar the tenant from having firearms.

You can like it or dislike it, but them's the facts.

I'm done here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.allpropertymanagement.com/blo...bear-arms/

"Finally, a limited number of states, like Minnesota, have enacted laws that prohibit landlords from limiting tenants from owning firearms, so if you are thinking about limiting or banning firearms on your rental property, make sure that doing so won’t violate your state’s laws."

It isn't a violation of federal laws but could be in violation of state's laws.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
09-08-2013, 12:49 PM
(09-08-2013 11:59 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It isn't a violation of federal laws but could be in violation of state's laws.

Yet another reason the federalist view is looking more and more appealing.

09-08-2013, 12:52 PM
(09-08-2013 12:49 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 11:59 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It isn't a violation of federal laws but could be in violation of state's laws.

Yet another reason the federalist view is looking more and more appealing.

Well, no. The argument for tenants' rights would be even stronger at a federal level.
Then the Second Amendment really does come into play.

09-08-2013, 12:54 PM
(09-08-2013 12:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 12:49 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Yet another reason the federalist view is looking more and more appealing.

Well, no. The argument for tenants' rights would be even stronger at a federal level.

That appears to be untrue.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-08-2013, 12:54 PM
(09-08-2013 12:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, no. The argument for tenants' rights would be even stronger at a federal level.

I disagree there.

09-08-2013, 12:57 PM
(09-08-2013 12:54 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 12:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, no. The argument for tenants' rights would be even stronger at a federal level.

That appears to be untrue.

I think Logica is arguing for taking out of the states' hands; in which case, only federal law and federal courts have jurisdiction. The Second Amendment is in play.