Tennessee Carries Out Execution of Billy Ray Irick

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Exclamation Tennessee Carries Out Execution of Billy Ray Irick
Tennessee has carried out the execution of a man condemned for the 1985 rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl, marking the first time the state has applied the death penalty in nearly a decade.

Tennessee carries out execution of Billy Ray Irick with controversial lethal injection drugs

The lethal injection was comprised of midazolam as a sedative, the muscle-relaxer vecuronium bromide and then potassium chloride to stop the heart.

At question is whether midazolam is actually effective in rendering someone unconscious and unable to feel pain from the other two drugs.

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, in arguing against this type of injection, said "if midazolam does not work, an inmate could suffer harm" and "was cruel and unusual punishment", and was comparable to being "slowly tortured to death, or actually burned at the stake".

—Are Sotomayor's claims about "torture" sustainable? Should we—as a society—be overly concerned about the fleeting pain caused to someone who's raped and killed a seven-year-old girl? Considering that Irick is the fifteenth inmate executed in the US this year, is the death penalty appropriate for crimes of rape and/or the murder of minors?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2018, 01:30 PM
RE: Tennessee Carries Out Execution of Billy Ray Irick
I'm generally against the death penalty, but rape-murder is one crime I'm okay with being punished by death -- the other is murder-for-hire. (My support is contingent upon the problems with capital punishment as practiced in America be fixed, namely the racial disparity of its application, so for the time being it is approval in theory only). Having said that, I'm unsure whether Sotomayor's claims are accurate or not.

I do believe that justice should be administered without passion. If we are going to practice capital punishment, we owe it to ourselves to keep it clean, painless and as free of spectacle as possible.

Hey, hey, what can I do?
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
10-08-2018, 01:48 PM
(10-08-2018 11:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  —Are Sotomayor's claims about "torture" sustainable? Should we—as a society—be overly concerned about the fleeting pain caused to someone who's raped and killed a seven-year-old girl?

Yes, we should be concerned. I don't consider that "overly" concerned. We shouldn't condone torture, no matter how vile we feel someone is.

(10-08-2018 11:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Considering that Irick is the fifteenth inmate executed in the US this year, is the death penalty appropriate for crimes of rape and/or the murder of minors?

I'm not a big fan of the death penalty, personally. I mean, I don't feel sorry for this guy at all, but I'm pretty squeamish on the state taking people's lives.
[+] 6 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Tennessee Carries Out Execution of Billy Ray Irick
While I'm no fan of death penalty I can't say that I'm troubled by this one. Still, even such piece of shit like this guy shouldn't be "tortured" I think.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
10-08-2018, 02:47 PM
(10-08-2018 01:30 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I'm generally against the death penalty, but rape-murder is one crime I'm okay with being punished by death -- the other is murder-for-hire. (My support is contingent upon the problems with capital punishment as practiced in America be fixed, namely the racial disparity of its application, so for the time being it is approval in theory only). Having said that, I'm unsure whether Sotomayor's claims are accurate or not.

I do believe that justice should be administered without passion. If we are going to practice capital punishment, we owe it to ourselves to keep it clean, painless and as free of spectacle as possible.

I am also for it in exceptional cases - like the Cheshire murders - with unimpeachable evidence. And the murderer shows neither remorse nor inclination to ever learning from their mistakes.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
10-08-2018, 03:04 PM
(10-08-2018 01:48 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(10-08-2018 11:43 AM)SYZ Wrote:  —Are Sotomayor's claims about "torture" sustainable? Should we—as a society—be overly concerned about the fleeting pain caused to someone who's raped and killed a seven-year-old girl?

Yes, we should be concerned. I don't consider that "overly" concerned. We shouldn't condone torture, no matter how vile we feel someone is.

I think Sotomayor's use of the emotive term "torture" was intended purely for effect, in order to reinforce her stand.

Torture, by definition, is a sustained, knowing and intentional act whereas actions which unknowingly or negligently inflict
suffering or pain, without a specific, willful intent to do so, are not typically considered torture in my opinion.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-08-2018, 03:34 PM
I've had two major surgeries under general anesthetic.

While I was under, I was cut open from just under my breastplate to just below my belly button.

I don't remember any of it and I never felt any pain.

Now, if anyone is concerned that rapist-murderers might be feeling pain when they are given the final lethal ingredient, why don't they use the same drugs to render prisoners unconscious as are used for surgeries?

If they are already given the same drugs that are commonly used for surgeries then where is Sotomayor's outrage over the cruelty handed out in hospitals across the country daily?

I've just recently grown rudimentary legs and made the move from water to land.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
10-08-2018, 03:45 PM
(10-08-2018 03:34 PM)pablo Wrote:  I've had two major surgeries under general anesthetic.

While I was under, I was cut open from just under my breastplate to just below my belly button.

Now, if anyone is concerned that rapist-murderers might be feeling pain when they are given the final lethal ingredient, why don't they use the same drugs to render prisoners unconscious as are used for surgeries?

If they are already given the same drugs that are commonly used for surgeries then where is Sotomayor's outrage over the cruelty handed out in hospitals across the country daily?

> Why not death by hanging? When applied scientifically, death is always instantaneous. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
10-08-2018, 03:51 PM
(10-08-2018 03:45 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(10-08-2018 03:34 PM)pablo Wrote:  I've had two major surgeries under general anesthetic.

> Why not death by hanging? When applied scientifically, death is always instantaneous. Consider

I wasn't aware that I implied anything even close to that.

I've just recently grown rudimentary legs and made the move from water to land.
10-08-2018, 04:07 PM
(10-08-2018 03:45 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  

That's why it is favored as method of suicide by many.

I am not for the death penalty, I am for a barren cell and working from WITHIN that cell to afford to buy amenities. I am not vengeful, and punitive measures don't help anyone either. I am very much for lifelong imprisonment without parole - society needs to be protected. And self-support during incarceration, only the bare minimum provided free.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post