Teresa McBain found god again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2016, 10:56 AM
RE: Teresa McBain found god again
I think brainwashing sometimes runs really deep. Once you are exposed to it--as with any religious cult-- some people can be lured or manipulated back into that way of thinking. I think that is especially true when you are dealing with Christianity as they condition people through fear. Years and years of that and for some people I think it can be hard to break completely free.

I know in my transition from Christianity to Atheism, the one reason I dragged my feet for a bit before jumping directly into atheism was fear of god's wrath because that was drilled into my head for so long. I remember watching an interview that featured a psychiatrist talking about atheism and even though she no longer believed, sometimes the image of hell/the devil still made her shudder. Not from actual belief of course, but from conditioning.

I don't know what happened with Teresa, but it would be interesting to hear what she has to say.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
20-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Hope she sorts everything out.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
20-10-2016, 11:15 AM
(19-10-2016 04:09 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Theresa found god in this picture. Can you?

[Image: maps_troy.jpg]

Nope, but I found myself impressed with anyone with the skill and patience to create such a picture.

Any way, if that is Troy surely Zeus or one of his mates would be around?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
20-10-2016, 11:20 AM
All these people "finding god".....

The motherfucker supposedly created the whole universe - and he's apparently now got Alzheimers or something - and keeps getting lost.....

Seems to me they need a better god that knows where the fuck he is...

I find that important in a deity....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
20-10-2016, 03:55 PM
(20-10-2016 10:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-10-2016 05:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm pretty sure it is not a thought process, but an emotional one. Consider

You could be right, I'd still like to know what process brought her along. Is it just emotional?

For many people the "evidence" bar is really low and actually laying on ground, while other people it's on the moon (and everywhere between).

Here's an article in Patheos that includes a video with MacBain talking about it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-10-2016, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2016 04:28 PM by kim.)
I think it might simply be part of her de-conversion. She only came out openly as atheist in 2012 - four years isn't that long. From what I've observed, people seem to garner several years of doubt prior to coming out and then, often waver back and forth for several years as a free person. I have a feeling she'll waver back and forth for a while.

Regardless, she seems to be a fairly compulsive person. Her life is her own.

This just in... found this on her blog // website. Hmm.

Hmm... who knows. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Hmm... also, her Facebook page is not discontinued or shut down.

She seems to be fielding a few of the incoming comments about her re-conversion.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-10-2016, 04:53 PM
I watched Chas' video. Apparently, she was at a really low point both prior and during her atheism. Pre-atheism, she felt like she had to be perfect to be loved by God--that that is what grace meant. Atheism period--was at a low point. Started listening to music again (church songs), I guess she was big into the choir. Felt God was speaking to her through her music in a spiritual way. Slowly, she started going back to church. Felt acceptance from church pastor and members and got involved in music group. Realized God's grace isn't about perfection or us being perfect--that God's grace means you can screw up, but he'll forgive you and still love you (i.e. you don't have to be perfect). Now she's a progressive Christian.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-10-2016, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2016 05:29 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(20-10-2016 04:19 PM)kim Wrote:  I think it might simply be part of her de-conversion. She only came out openly as atheist in 2012 - four years isn't that long. From what I've observed, people seem to garner several years of doubt prior to coming out and then, often waver back and forth for several years as a free person. I have a feeling she'll waver back and forth for a while.

Regardless, she seems to be a fairly compulsive person. Her life is her own.

This just in... found this on her blog // website. Hmm.

Hmm... who knows. Drinking Beverage

I spent 10 years babbling back and forth about religion and belief, before settling into the comfort that I was good without god.

I don't know if she will bounce back, or be fearful of losing the community she really wants and hide in the back of closet.

I will say after listening to her "sermon" I'm fairly confident she was probably an accidental atheist. It sounds from her and her story (if there wasn't anything she left out of consequence) she was annoyed with the idea of god. She felt her life was shit. There was a lot of stress in her life.

The whole part with the humanist group, mistaking her credentials, I'm not sure why it mattered, but whatever...I feel the point was she felt she lost her community again.

So, she reverted, the music was the gateway. Music is one of those things that stimulates different areas of the brain.

Now there's lots she doesn't say about how her nonbelief affected her marriage or her relationship with her children. She was, after all, a Methodist minister -- I cannot believe the reaction was "oh great, pass the potatoes".

She didn't handle the leaving of the clergy project very well. Nor did she seem interested in seeking their counsel before she returned to church. Maybe her mind was already made up?

Final point, of course they welcomed her back...they all will see it as a win for their side. Drinking Beverage

All I see is a deeply confused person and while she might have a burst of clarity and contentment, but I don't think it will last. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Edit: Thanks Chas for posting that link.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-10-2016, 10:11 PM
(20-10-2016 04:53 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I watched Chas' video. Apparently, she was at a really low point both prior and during her atheism. Pre-atheism, she felt like she had to be perfect to be loved by God--that that is what grace meant. Atheism period--was at a low point. Started listening to music again (church songs), I guess she was big into the choir. Felt God was speaking to her through her music in a spiritual way. Slowly, she started going back to church. Felt acceptance from church pastor and members and got involved in music group. Realized God's grace isn't about perfection or us being perfect--that God's grace means you can screw up, but he'll forgive you and still love you (i.e. you don't have to be perfect). Now she's a progressive Christian.

This deconversion / re-affirmation of faith story is a common meme in Christianity. The idea is that you go piss about being sinful and rebelling against God for a while and your life feels empty and hollow and eventually the Big Man sends you a message and you realise that he's actually out there and cares for lil' ol' you etc. So you return to the church and stand up at the front and tell everyone (tears may be involved) how you did this terrible thing and want to be accepted back by Jesus... Candles are lit. The pastor dunks you in the church swimming pool with much ceremony. The community welcomes you back...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post