Teresa McBain found god again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2017, 07:44 PM
RE: Teresa McBain found god again
Likewise. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Except you like to add the bitchy little cup icon.
22-04-2017, 08:06 PM
(22-04-2017 07:48 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Except you like to add the bitchy little cup icon.

It's iconic. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
22-04-2017, 09:00 PM
(03-11-2016 11:50 AM)g24cjm Wrote:  Listen to the two episodes of Jerry DeWitt and Bobby Cary's show "Hope After Faith" episodes 21 & 22 to hear more of the inside story.

(03-11-2016 05:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...
http://hopeafterfaith.secularmediagroup.com/

Hmmm. I just listened to #22.

"Oh and please don't tell anyone about it."

I'm sure we've all heard that one. Our deception detector's needle hits the red.

But usually it's too late by then as we've already been conned.

It took me a long time (and cost a lot in 'donations') to learn that lesson.

Pah! Humans. Our compassion makes us so gullible.

Especially when she's pretty.

Blush

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
23-04-2017, 05:54 AM
I've never heard of Teresa MacBain before reading this thread, but from what I can ascertain she fraudulently claimed to possess a Masters of Divinity from Duke University, and was exposed in 2013.

She's apparently one of these wishy-washy academics who simply bends with the wind. She can't sort out whether she believes in the supernatural and fairy stories, or whether she accepts the tenets of science and logic.

So she decides to be a temporary atheist for 3 or 4 years, but then returns to theism—another fraud?

I have to ask the obvious question: Why specifically does anybody have any interest in what this woman does or doesn't do? Does she have some sort of fame in the US that I'm unaware of?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
23-04-2017, 06:43 AM
(23-04-2017 05:54 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I've never heard of Teresa MacBain before reading this thread, but from what I can ascertain she fraudulently claimed to possess a Masters of Divinity from Duke University, and was exposed in 2013.

She's apparently one of these wishy-washy academics who simply bends with the wind. She can't sort out whether she believes in the supernatural and fairy stories, or whether she accepts the tenets of science and logic.

So she decides to be a temporary atheist for 3 or 4 years, but then returns to theism—another fraud?

I have to ask the obvious question: Why specifically does anybody have any interest in what this woman does or doesn't do? Does she have some sort of fame in the US that I'm unaware of?

> Teresa MacBain strikes me simply as a person who did not have the mental integrity to live a life based upon science and reason, but ultimately preferred the opiate of faith. I wouldn't be surprised if she soon produces a book similar to William Murray's My Life Without God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teresa_MacBain
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
23-04-2017, 06:56 AM
(19-10-2016 03:09 PM)pablo Wrote:  Seth went into it on his Facebook page.

"Speculation continues about Teresa MacBain's return to God-belief. I feel the need to re-visit this, briefly, because I have some concerns.
1) I've seen a No True Scotsman claim. "She was never a 'true atheist' to begin with." The notion is that nobody who ever rejected superstition could return to it.
This is a bad argument, and we shouldn't use it.
Humans can embrace or reject any number of ideas - good or bad, supported or unsupported - for a huge variety of reasons, and while it's true that an atheist's return to religion is rare, it's also dishonest to declare it impossible. Religion becomes attractive to people for a host of reasons, and there are anomalous yet legitimate examples of non-believers who reentered religion.
2) There's a narrative that the atheist Teresa was merely a con, using her atheism as a way to make money by speaking at conventions.
I speak at conventions. A lot of 'em. Trust me...we ain't doing it for the money.
3) Relating to #2, there's a lot of speculation about Teresa's integrity, especially in light of the 2013 controversy over her misrepresentation of credentials in regard to the Humanist Community Project at Harvard.
She screwed up. She said she was sorry. Most of her friends and associates said, "Fine. But you're going to have to re-earn some trust out there."
I'm surely guilty of bias, but I (like many others) wasn't ready to assume the worst, nor did I want Teresa's future ruined because she fudged her resume. For better and for worse, I'm a believer in second chances, along as it goes with a "trust but verify" mechanism of accountability.
Outside of that incident, I've never had a negative blip on my radar about Teresa Macbain. If others have, they should be listened to, provided they're not merely operating on hunches.
4) Sadly, although I've mentioned that Teresa and I are friends, it was brought to my attention that she has apparently unfriended me and many others in the atheist activist movement on Facebook. {UPDATE: Teresa apparently closed her personal FB page, which explains the disconnect.}
The Clergy Project (which she had once been heavily involved with) wasn't directly informed by Teresa about her return to religion, and didn't discover it until October 15th.
This seems irresponsible, a bit cold, and not really like the Teresa MacBain I have known. I certainly thought we'd have received a message, an email, a call or conversation.
Perhaps she is embarrassed, and didn't want to approach us. Perhaps this was her way of making a "clean break" with the movement. Perhaps she's secretly self-conscious and wants to avoid the questions and challenges about her "reasons" for accepting superstitious claims. Perhaps it's something else.
Ultimately, I think we should temper our strong positions with compassion, and we should resist the ugly invective that many are eager to hurl in her direction. I think we should stand ready to assess (and call out) any unreasonable "reasons" Teresa gives for God-belief, but our discussions should remain focused on the ideas themselves.
I can't speak to her intent. Only that she has (again) hitched her wagon to bad ideas. That's all I really know.
And despite our disappointment, we should remember the vast, vast, vast majority of people who permanently, not temporarily, extricate themselves from religious thinking to find liberation, knowledge, worth, discovery, beauty and peace as atheists.
Those stories don't often get the blog treatment or a video blurb, but they're happening all around us, and despite Teresa's departure, we're seeing the ranks of the rational growing every single day."

It is not impossible for someone to go to the store, buy a product over and over for a while, get tired of that product only to later go back to buying that product.

I would say however, for a theist to go to the position of "off" "atheist" then go back to "on" to the theist position, while not impossible, I would say they still don't have a valid credible reason.

I have seen the "I used to be an atheist" argument over and over in my 16 years online. No it is not impossible, but when I dig deep enough into those who fell back into it, I see them still buying the old unfounded mythology but see either a fall back into it because of some slick elaborate apology mixed with pseudo science, and or because they wanted a crutch of an excuse to do it say because they almost died, found love, or were escaping an addiction.

I wont say that I will never go back to believing in the future, but I will say currently there is no way in my sane lucid state right now I see myself doing that. I still see those falling back into that apology for old mythology still ultimately amounts to, "If you want to believe it badly enough you will".

My position for a "former atheist" would still be the same, so what. 7 billion humans and humans worldwide leave one religion for another too, some go from Muslim to Christian or Christian to Muslim or Christian to Buddhist or Buddhist to Christian and some leave all of those religions to "off".

That former atheist is still hamstrung with "which one".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
23-04-2017, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2017 09:44 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Her education is sorely lacking. She had (has) the typical fundy (Baptist) education in Biblical Studies, which was one of the major reasons she had doubts about religion. She is not back working as a pastor, (that I can tell, is an IT person now), and she returned to religion as a "Progressive Christian" which is a rather "wishy-washy" "lets make up enough nonsense about this crap, so the cognitive dissonances can be somewhat reduced" version of Christianity. Rejecting one's life-long community, especially when it tends to be the most important organizing factor in the lives of everyone she has to live with (she lives in Alabama) would be very difficult, and finding words to talk down the cognitive dissonance (enabling a re-connection with community) would be pretty much a no-brainer.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-04-2017, 11:05 AM
I think she got caught up in it all.

I don't think she ever intended to "deconvert" but was looking for something else that would make her feel good. For a while she thought she found it. Her lies that she told (whether she told them or just allowed an error to run unchecked) had an effect on the people who trusted her, rightfully so.

Part of me feels bad for her. I think she was just looking for a community to be part of. There were many parts of her story that to me just didn't add up...but whatever.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post