Terraforming Mars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Terraforming Mars
So I've been fascinated with the prospect of terraforming Mars to become habitable for human life.

It would take around 1,000 years and most of that time is spent pumping the Martian sky with super greenhouse gasses. Then we would put in fungus and moss and lichen, Mojave shrubs etc. Finally our first forests that would really start making oxygen and people could start to move around sans rebreather. After another 1,000 years the atmosphere would disappear, but we'd cross that bridge when necessary.

Do you agree with this? Introducing Earthling organisms could exterminate undiscovered Martian life forms. Do you think that we have a noblesse oblige to spread life to new worlds?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2014, 09:06 PM
RE: Terraforming Mars
I think it would be entertaining to try. That's reason enough for me. I would also assume that sometime between now and then terraforming theory will advance.

I just hope I'm still alive when a war breaks out in space. Killing someone on Mars, preferably for resources or in the name of religion, is on my bucket list.

'Murican Canadian
15-09-2014, 09:10 PM
(15-09-2014 09:06 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I think it would be entertaining to try. That's reason enough for me. I would also assume that sometime between now and then terraforming theory will advance.

I just hope I'm still alive when a war breaks out in space. Killing someone on Mars, preferably for resources or in the name of religion, is on my bucket list.

I think that yeah, once we have this world the nations would colonize it, and of course the colonies would break away, eventually.

I think that spreading to as many areas as possible is good; we can go to Mars now if we wanted to.

From a Science point of view, how do we get a magnetic field around Mars to make the investment permanent.
15-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Unfortunately, that likely wouldn't work.

Mars has a negligible magnetic field, hence no protection from the solar wind.
The atmosphere it had was stripped away by the solar wind; any new atmosphere would be as well.

I suppose if atmosphere could be replenished faster than it was stripped away, then maybe. That would require a lot of resources.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
15-09-2014, 09:16 PM
(15-09-2014 09:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  Unfortunately, that likely wouldn't work.

The atmosphere it had was stripped away by the solar wind; any new atmosphere would be as well.

Yeah. We'd lose the atmosphere eventually, unless we found a way to put a magnetic field around Mars.

Maybe blow up nuclear bombs all over the core to melt it and get it magnetizing? That probably wouldn't be a thing either.
15-09-2014, 09:17 PM
(15-09-2014 09:16 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 09:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  Unfortunately, that likely wouldn't work.

Yeah. We'd lose the atmosphere eventually, unless we found a way to put a magnetic field around Mars.

Maybe blow up nuclear bombs all over the core to melt it and get it magnetizing? That probably wouldn't be a thing either.

Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy?

15-09-2014, 09:20 PM
No it will work. I watched a very well researched documentary called "Total Recall," which proved through valid scientific reasoning that if you hit this weird ass alien button it instantly creates an atmosphere with clouds and rainbows and everything.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
15-09-2014, 09:31 PM
I don't think pumping in a bunch of greenhouse gasses, and growing plants will make it safe to just go out and roam around on Mars.
Mars doesn't have an active molten iron core generating a protective magnetic field around the planet like Earth.
If I understand correctly, this field combined with our atmosphere (ozone layer) blocks deadly radiation from hitting the surface of the Earth.
16-09-2014, 05:07 AM
The atmosphere of Mars is already 96% carbon dioxide[1], so the low hanging fruit of starting a runaway greenhouse effect seems out of reach.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_...omposition

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
16-09-2014, 05:31 AM
(16-09-2014 05:07 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  The atmosphere of Mars is already 96% carbon dioxide[1], so the low hanging fruit of starting a runaway greenhouse effect seems out of reach.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_...omposition

There is simply not enough of it to do the job. Maybe import some from Venus[2]?

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_...omposition

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post