Terraforming Mars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2014, 09:19 AM
RE: Terraforming Mars
(15-09-2014 09:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  Unfortunately, that likely wouldn't work.

Mars has a negligible magnetic field, hence no protection from the solar wind.
The atmosphere it had was stripped away by the solar wind; any new atmosphere would be as well.

I suppose if atmosphere could be replenished faster than it was stripped away, then maybe. That would require a lot of resources.

Not to mention any life on the surface being exposed to Solar radiation.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2014, 09:25 AM
I suppose we could always seed as many species as we can get to survive, then let evolution run for a few billion years.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
16-09-2014, 11:12 AM
(15-09-2014 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 09:16 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Yeah. We'd lose the atmosphere eventually, unless we found a way to put a magnetic field around Mars.

Maybe blow up nuclear bombs all over the core to melt it and get it magnetizing? That probably wouldn't be a thing either.

Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy?

Not that one, but one by an author named Ray Bradbury about Mars.
16-09-2014, 11:17 AM
(16-09-2014 05:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 05:07 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  The atmosphere of Mars is already 96% carbon dioxide[1], so the low hanging fruit of starting a runaway greenhouse effect seems out of reach.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_...omposition

There is simply not enough of it to do the job. Maybe import some from Venus[2]?

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_...omposition

Bits of the indigenous Martian atmosphere remain in the rocks of Mars... that plus the incredibly powerful force of the water vapor from new clouds... I mean, the necessity would push advancement. Europe colonized America, at first it was so shitty, then new systems were invented to make it better, and now we have giant freeways and cars and Internets to make the vast country manageable. Starting a few colonies on Mars and keeping them funded would eventually make ozone factories a thing. Seeing as we can't spam motherships filled with Aqua Vitae, we should make local, high quality investments,.
16-09-2014, 01:04 PM
I think the only way humans could realistically colonize Mars, or the Moon would be with some kind of pressurized dome system, with perhaps their own magnetic fields to shield us from radiation.

For one thing, it may be possible that there are living organisms on Mars... Obviously nothing very complex. But if they are ever discovered, they would arguably be the single most significant discovery in science. To alter the environment to suit Terrestrial life would almost certainly cause the extinction of any Martian life... Essentially we'd have fucked up two planets.

So if life is discovered on Mars, it throws up ethical questions as well as logistical and political ones.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
16-09-2014, 04:16 PM
(16-09-2014 01:04 PM)Sam Wrote:  I think the only way humans could realistically colonize Mars, or the Moon would be with some kind of pressurized dome system, with perhaps their own magnetic fields to shield us from radiation.

I mean, a crew habitat in space is the same as one bolted down on the moon or Mars. So living there isn't the issue, it's just how worth it would it be to pump funds into a colony.

(16-09-2014 01:04 PM)Sam Wrote:  For one thing, it may be possible that there are living organisms on Mars... Obviously nothing very complex. But if they are ever discovered, they would arguably be the single most significant discovery in science. To alter the environment to suit Terrestrial life would almost certainly cause the extinction of any Martian life... Essentially we'd have fucked up two planets.

Yeah. That's the issue. It's possible that with all of that flowing water the Martian life indigenous to rocks (obviously extremophile in the first place) would die out. And I'd say the Socratic thinking is the most important discovery, because thinking. Tongue

(16-09-2014 01:04 PM)Sam Wrote:  So if life is discovered on Mars, it throws up ethical questions as well as logistical and political ones.

It'd be a land grab, with old fashioned Imperial colonies. There'd be wars, sure, but when they inevitably get independence we have two planets now with humans- greatly increasing our chances for survival and probably sparking a new interest in space exploration/colonization.