Terrible One Sentence Plot Summaries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2017, 09:28 AM
RE: Terrible One Sentence Plot Summaries
Rogue One: Protagonists keep bumbling into prototype weapon's testing grounds.

Alien Resurrection: No such film exists.

<3 the Predator one Organic Chemist.

Okay that's slightly better for her, but only slightly. And again what the fuck about blaming your mother's lupus on past life decisions. And what in the world that her only response to being called on that is to give a blank stare. Just all of that is so...crazy.

And thanks to both of you there. I just don't get those who rejoice in suffering or say it's all "part of the plan". It's like when I was a Baptist and people were always Rapture Ready and praying for it. It's like "Why are you praying for the End of the World? It means you failed. That everyone left is going to suffer horribly and most of them will probably be cast into eternal torment for all eternity, all because you just want to get your bliss a few decades early!"

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
04-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Predator 2: Danny Glover is still too old for this shit.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
04-04-2017, 01:25 PM
(04-04-2017 09:28 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  And thanks to both of you there. I just don't get those who rejoice in suffering or say it's all "part of the plan". It's like when I was a Baptist and people were always Rapture Ready and praying for it. It's like "Why are you praying for the End of the World? It means you failed. That everyone left is going to suffer horribly and most of them will probably be cast into eternal torment for all eternity, all because you just want to get your bliss a few decades early!"

Yep, that's exactly my problem with it. I don't, in reality, care much what a person believes (unless they are very very close to me) and I've seen enough horrible (and dumb) atheists not to delude myself that we are invariably and undeniably superior, better or more intelligent. I do, however, find it extremely difficult to interact with and respect people who think that this life doesn't matter and the sooner this world is finished, the better and (since I don't really know many in the former category) the ones who manage to "explain" suffering (usually, the suffering of OTHERS) away by such, frankly, revolting (and idiotic) means. Of course, I think (hope?) they only believe it in theory and were they to be subjected to the sight of a woman who has been gangraped, for example, it would be much harder for them to persist in such a horrific, selfish and morally bankrupt way of seeing the world...

I have, however, been wrong before and have underestimated the selfishness and arrogance of people, so... Undecided

(And then there are those who god personally saved from a disaster. Because, apparently, they are so much more deserving than all those horrible sinners who did die Dodgy )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
04-04-2017, 09:18 PM
TV Shows this time:

The Americans: Suburban couple hides surprising depths.

Legend of Korra: "Kids show" involving torture and genocide.

The Real O'Neils: Catholic mom has really upending few years.

Breaking Bad: Man gets cancer, follows dreams.

(04-04-2017 01:25 PM)Vera Wrote:  *snip*
Agreed on basically all of it. One of the most gut wrenching things I've ever seen was a kid with cancer and people talking about how it was a good thing when she died. Even as someone with faith, maybe perhaps as someone who doesn't think the world is an entirely cruel and indifferent place to humans, it seems like such horrifying thing and a waste. In the words of my late grandmother as she sent St. Jude's her monthly donation, "Can you think of something sadder than a child with cancer?"

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
05-04-2017, 09:08 AM
(04-04-2017 09:18 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Agreed on basically all of it. One of the most gut wrenching things I've ever seen was a kid with cancer and people talking about how it was a good thing when she died. Even as someone with faith, maybe perhaps as someone who doesn't think the world is an entirely cruel and indifferent place to humans, it seems like such horrifying thing and a waste. In the words of my late grandmother as she sent St. Jude's her monthly donation, "Can you think of something sadder than a child with cancer?"

I always say (though am not really understood too well - if at all!) that the only thing that makes sense to me, the only thing I can accept and not go (completely) insane, is a random, indifferent universe. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with being a tiny, unimportant blip on the face of the cosmos, here now, gone... well, now, really, on the cosmic timescale. I cannot - and will not - however accept a universe with some sort of a mind behind it; a universe where there is someone or something which sees all the suffering and pain, and misery, and agony and does nothing (at best! At worst - it actually causes/encourages/approves of it. Or thinks it's deserved). A god/mind/cosmic justice which sees the Holocaust, and slavery, and weaponised rape, and children being abused, and horrific diseases, and the slow, crushing decline that leads to death, where often you lose your dignity and yourself, before you finally lose your life?

If there were such a figure the universe wouldn't be big enough to contain its vileness and depravity.

For me (not that it's a misery competition!) the thing I find unbearable to watch (even in movies) is severe mental disabilities. I don't want it to come off as condescending, because it is absolutely not this, but to me it always feels like... The world can be such a hard, cruel place*, severe mental disabilities feel to me like sending someone in the middle of a war, where the enemy is armed with rifles and tanks, and knives, and chemical weapons and not giving them even a slingshot. Or any severe disability, really, that children are born with, doomed to never know what a "normal" life is, a life where you're not defined (and often shackled) by a horrific disease. Not saying this makes them inferior or anything of the sort, don't get me wrong! But to deprive a human being of at least the chance to experience all the things the majority of us are at least theoretically capable of, seems like the epitome of cruelty and injustice.

And then, even were we to accept (and I would never, EVER, as long as live, accept it) that humans somehow deserve/chose all this, what about the rest of life on Earth? I always give the example of that fungus that turns ants into zombies, of sorts, and eats them inside out, but really, life is a constant struggle for survival and animals suffer as much as we do. And yeah, I am perfectly aware that without predators, we would never have evolved beyond bacteria, and it's this arms' race that makes the world so wonderful and diverse and as such I can accept it. As the creation of some benevolent mind, however? Not a chance in hell.

(Sorry, this wasn't meant to be offensive to you, personally)

* The world is also indescribably beautiful and we are capable of wonderful, wonderful things and I, for one, am glad it - and I - exists. It's just that we're talking about suffering here, that's why I'm focusing so much on it. But we have science and arts, and flowers and so many wonderful things, too Yes

05-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Dune: Spoiled aristocrat joins underground separatist movement and gets worms.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
05-04-2017, 10:07 AM
The Agony and the Ecstacy: Man does beautiful work on his back.
05-04-2017, 10:20 AM
(05-04-2017 10:03 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Dune: Spoiled aristocrat joins underground separatist movement and gets worms.

How about a one-word one: Spicy. Big Grin

Or is this more like a review? Consider

05-04-2017, 10:29 AM
(05-04-2017 10:20 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 10:03 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Dune: Spoiled aristocrat joins underground separatist movement and gets worms.

How about a one-word one: Spicy. Big Grin

Vera: Nice lady derails thread with existentialist questions.

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
05-04-2017, 10:38 AM
(05-04-2017 10:29 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 10:20 AM)Vera Wrote:  How about a one-word one: Spicy. Big Grin

Vera: Nice lady derails thread with existentialist questions.

Big Grin

Nice-ish woman (arguably, but I have my doubts, as I don't care about shoes, shopping and wedding-related shite) has verbal diarrhoea all over unrelated thread.

Fixt that for you Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post