Terrible One Sentence Plot Summaries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2017, 10:59 AM
RE: Terrible One Sentence Plot Summaries
(05-04-2017 10:38 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 10:29 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Vera: Nice lady derails thread with existentialist questions.

Big Grin

Nice-ish woman (arguably, but I have my doubts, as I don't care about shoes, shopping and wedding-related shite) has verbal diarrhoea all over unrelated thread.

Fixt that for you Rolleyes

For my money a "lady" is a nice person, not a barely constrained bitch in high heels.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
05-04-2017, 11:18 AM
(05-04-2017 10:59 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  For my money a "lady" is a nice person, not a barely constrained bitch in high heels.

How I use it, too Thumbsup

But I am also physically incapable of passing up an opportunity to be mean to myself and to make jokes at my expense Yes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
05-04-2017, 11:59 AM
(05-04-2017 11:18 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 10:59 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  For my money a "lady" is a nice person, not a barely constrained bitch in high heels.

How I use it, too Thumbsup

But I am also physically incapable of passing up an opportunity to be mean to myself and to make jokes at my expense Yes
I stopped taking myself seriously about the time my Mom got a telegram saying I was dead.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
05-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Predators: Corporate bonding retreat goes on safari.

(05-04-2017 09:08 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 09:18 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Agreed on basically all of it. One of the most gut wrenching things I've ever seen was a kid with cancer and people talking about how it was a good thing when she died. Even as someone with faith, maybe perhaps as someone who doesn't think the world is an entirely cruel and indifferent place to humans, it seems like such horrifying thing and a waste. In the words of my late grandmother as she sent St. Jude's her monthly donation, "Can you think of something sadder than a child with cancer?"

I always say (though am not really understood too well - if at all!) that the only thing that makes sense to me, the only thing I can accept and not go (completely) insane, is a random, indifferent universe. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with being a tiny, unimportant blip on the face of the cosmos, here now, gone... well, now, really, on the cosmic timescale. I cannot - and will not - however accept a universe with some sort of a mind behind it; a universe where there is someone or something which sees all the suffering and pain, and misery, and agony and does nothing (at best! At worst - it actually causes/encourages/approves of it. Or thinks it's deserved). A god/mind/cosmic justice which sees the Holocaust, and slavery, and weaponised rape, and children being abused, and horrific diseases, and the slow, crushing decline that leads to death, where often you lose your dignity and yourself, before you finally lose your life?

If there were such a figure the universe wouldn't be big enough to contain its vileness and depravity.

For me (not that it's a misery competition!) the thing I find unbearable to watch (even in movies) is severe mental disabilities. I don't want it to come off as condescending, because it is absolutely not this, but to me it always feels like... The world can be such a hard, cruel place*, severe mental disabilities feel to me like sending someone in the middle of a war, where the enemy is armed with rifles and tanks, and knives, and chemical weapons and not giving them even a slingshot. Or any severe disability, really, that children are born with, doomed to never know what a "normal" life is, a life where you're not defined (and often shackled) by a horrific disease. Not saying this makes them inferior or anything of the sort, don't get me wrong! But to deprive a human being of at least the chance to experience all the things the majority of us are at least theoretically capable of, seems like the epitome of cruelty and injustice.

And then, even were we to accept (and I would never, EVER, as long as live, accept it) that humans somehow deserve/chose all this, what about the rest of life on Earth? I always give the example of that fungus that turns ants into zombies, of sorts, and eats them inside out, but really, life is a constant struggle for survival and animals suffer as much as we do. And yeah, I am perfectly aware that without predators, we would never have evolved beyond bacteria, and it's this arms' race that makes the world so wonderful and diverse and as such I can accept it. As the creation of some benevolent mind, however? Not a chance in hell.

(Sorry, this wasn't meant to be offensive to you, personally)

* The world is also indescribably beautiful and we are capable of wonderful, wonderful things and I, for one, am glad it - and I - exists. It's just that we're talking about suffering here, that's why I'm focusing so much on it. But we have science and arts, and flowers and so many wonderful things, too Yes

My reply's going to be super short compared to this, but nope, not offensive to me personally. We're all allowed our own opinions and beliefs (or lack thereof); besides you'd have to say something I've not railed against God before with, as well.

And agreed about the world being a naturally beautiful place and filled with amazing things. Every Sunday, I go down by Lake Michigan and just walk up and down the pier and watch the waves (and if it's choppy, get splashed). Sometimes there are boats and seagulls; outside of church, it tends to be my place to relax and not think about the bad stuff.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post
05-04-2017, 01:52 PM
(05-04-2017 01:42 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  We're all allowed our own opinions and beliefs (or lack thereof); besides you'd have to say something I've not railed against God before with, as well.

Of course, atheists have a reputation of being angry with believers, but I think we could get along just fine with believers who understand that their beliefs are beliefs rather than knowledge. We atheists know they can't know. Evidence and logic are both against their beliefs passing the test for knowledge.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
05-04-2017, 02:43 PM
(05-04-2017 01:42 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Every Sunday, I go down by Lake Michigan and just walk up and down the pier and watch the waves (and if it's choppy, get splashed). Sometimes there are boats and seagulls; outside of church, it tends to be my place to relax and not think about the bad stuff.

I used to do that, too, when I lived in Racine. I'm not a "water person" in general (I prefer mountains and canyons), but I do love to sit by the shore of an ocean or a big lake and watch and listen to the pounding surf. Confession: I've never been to any seashore, so my only experience of this has been Lake Michigan. But it was pretty cool.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
05-04-2017, 07:25 PM
(05-04-2017 01:52 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 01:42 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  We're all allowed our own opinions and beliefs (or lack thereof); besides you'd have to say something I've not railed against God before with, as well.

Of course, atheists have a reputation of being angry with believers, but I think we could get along just fine with believers who understand that their beliefs are beliefs rather than knowledge. We atheists know they can't know. Evidence and logic are both against their beliefs passing the test for knowledge.

A fair summation, though we can believe, as you said. Smile
(05-04-2017 02:43 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 01:42 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Every Sunday, I go down by Lake Michigan and just walk up and down the pier and watch the waves (and if it's choppy, get splashed). Sometimes there are boats and seagulls; outside of church, it tends to be my place to relax and not think about the bad stuff.

I used to do that, too, when I lived in Racine. I'm not a "water person" in general (I prefer mountains and canyons), but I do love to sit by the shore of an ocean or a big lake and watch and listen to the pounding surf. Confession: I've never been to any seashore, so my only experience of this has been Lake Michigan. But it was pretty cool.

Glad to not be alone then! And sorry you've never been to the seashore; Lake Michigan may as well be one as large as it. Must admit that in New Jersey, I spent a lot of hours one week of vacation once, just sitting on a hotel balcony watching and listening to the ocean at Cape May. Though do love mountains too.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
10-04-2017, 08:58 AM
Offtopic

Truman Show: Ed Harris stars as god in a third person rendition of the christian world view.

(Seriously. Ponder it. The entire world revolves around Truman, a man in the sky loves him but is an incredible egomaniac, there is a plan by this man and killing to maintain that plan is involved, any attempts by Truman to discover the truth are actively thwarted by his community. It is eerie.)

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
10-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Starship Troopers: Earth gets really bugged at aliens.
10-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Quo vadis: Some guy says he'll follow some dead guy.