Terrible things seen on the road

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 01:44 AM
Terrible things seen on the road
Folks,

Sometimes we see terrible things while driving.

This is mine – yesterday. In Asda/Walmart car park there was a young lad sitting on the kerb with his head in his hands, staring down at his feet. Next to him was an enduro off road motorcycle, with no number plate. Standing over him were two police officers, one phoning somewhere and the other writing up the citation.

The lad had the body language of despair, and it was obvious from his look that he wasn’t legal. The lack of number plate was enough evidence of that, probably no insurance, MOT, or even driving licence. As the police couldn’t verify the ownership of the bike, they would have to take it in and probably arrest the lad. He was facing the whole book.

I’m not a judgemental type and we have all made mistakes in our lives. I was very sorry to see this lad facing up to his mistake.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2017, 01:53 AM
RE: Terrible things seen on the road
And he's really gonna be fucked when he gets home and has to explain to dad what happened to his dad's dirt bike that he " borrowed".

Laughat

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
09-10-2017, 07:42 AM
I remember my first ambulance clinical--we were responding to a motircycle crash out on the countryside highway. I'll spare you the finer details because that's all that was left of the poor kid.

A motorist that had witnessed the crash told us that the motorcyclist had been speeding before he got cut off, or sideswiped, sending him into the bumpy grassy area between opposing lanes. The offending driver never stopped.

The kid was 19 years old.

I stopped pursuing an EMT career soon afterwards.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
09-10-2017, 08:11 AM
(09-10-2017 07:42 AM)Loom Wrote:  I remember my first ambulance clinical--we were responding to a motircycle crash out on the countryside highway. I'll spare you the finer details because that's all that was left of the poor kid.

A motorist that had witnessed the crash told us that the motorcyclist had been speeding before he got cut off, or sideswiped, sending him into the bumpy grassy area between opposing lanes. The offending driver never stopped.

The kid was 19 years old.

I stopped pursuing an EMT career soon afterwards.

I don't know how EMTs do it. I wouldn't last more than a couple of days on that job. I suppose they must find solace knowing they're helping people. Even though they see death they also help others survive horrible accidents. I guess that's how people stay on that job. I couldn't do it though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Lafayette, Indiana, c. 2003. Highway construction on a four-lane divided highway. Flagman directing traffic. North-bound lanes stopped. Semi halted, family car halted. Second semi not paying attention. Impact at ~60 mph. The police didn't know about the car between the semis until the wreckers drivers pointed out a problem.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Last week when I was driving to work the lane closest to the curb was blocked by a truck that was stopped. Everyone was merging into the other lane to the left. As I passed the truck, I saw a crumpled bicycle with its rider lying on the grass strip and a man tending to him. The rider looked like a young adult guy, but I couldn't see him very well because he was lying face down and somewhat curled up. There was another car parked on the sidewalk a short distance ahead. It appeared that car had hit the bicycle and the truck was unable to pass. I couldn't tell if the truck had actually been involved at all. That scene stayed in my head the whole day and I felt really badly for the bicyclist.

Fox News: Praying Preying on ignorance since 1996.
09-10-2017, 10:19 AM
We can have something called vicarious traumatization which happens when we see something that happens to somebody else and we empathize.
And I think this is what happened to you. Granted a mild form of that but still. You noticed it, you think about what is happening to the lad, probably what about his family, about his livelihood, etc.
So take a step back and take the time, now that you do not have to focus on driving, and just be mindful of your feelings about this. Be in the now, let the emotions happen, go through the motions and through your thoughts.

Why I know about this so well? Working in content moderation for over 4 years did things to me... We had a psychologist come to work and he coached my whole team on how to deal with vicarious traumatization. And while ours where really very disturbing (we did not have to talk about the things we saw), he gave us an example of himself and a mild form like what you explained in the OP. So it happens on different levels but the only thing that you need to keep in mind is, if it impacts you then that's ok. Just go through the motions instead of what society teaches us, this unhealthy behaviour of "oh it's nothing, calm down" because if it impacts you then it's not nothing and it is ok if it's not nothing.

I dunno if this all made any sense to people outside my head.

Darth Vader
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
09-10-2017, 10:25 AM
A few years ago now, on the freeway (while going at freeway speed) a horse fell out of trailer.

That was a mess. HUGE mess. Ugly mess...

There''s plenty of stuff I wish I could unsee.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Fucking people letting dogs ride untethered in the back of trucks.

Not going into details.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
09-10-2017, 10:49 AM
(09-10-2017 10:25 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A few years ago now, on the freeway (while going at freeway speed) a horse fell out of trailer.

That was a mess. HUGE mess. Ugly mess...

There''s plenty of stuff I wish I could unsee.

OMG. That's horrible Moms. I worry about dogs on the back of trucks or sticking their heads out the windows that are rolled almost all the way down. I try to get around the vehicle as fast as I can. It makes me so nervous to see dogs precariously walking around in the back of a pickup truck while going down the freeway at 60 mphs. Why do people do this.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post