Terrible things seen on the road

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2017, 11:30 AM
RE: Terrible things seen on the road
(09-10-2017 10:49 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 10:25 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A few years ago now, on the freeway (while going at freeway speed) a horse fell out of trailer.

That was a mess. HUGE mess. Ugly mess...

There''s plenty of stuff I wish I could unsee.

OMG. That's horrible Moms. I worry about dogs on the back of trucks or sticking their heads out the windows that are rolled almost all the way down. I try to get around the vehicle as fast as I can. It makes me so nervous to see dogs precariously walking around in the back of a pickup truck while going down the freeway at 60 mphs. Why do people do this.

The other side of this: I ride a bicycle wherever I go. More than once, I've been riding along, minding my own business, and suddenly there's a dog snarling and barking just inches from my left ear -- because a passing car with a dog in it has the passenger-side window open. Scares the shit out of me every time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
09-10-2017, 02:48 PM
(09-10-2017 10:19 AM)Leerob Wrote:  We can have something called vicarious traumatization which happens when we see something that happens to somebody else and we empathize.
And I think this is what happened to you. Granted a mild form of that but still. You noticed it, you think about what is happening to the lad, probably what about his family, about his livelihood, etc.
So take a step back and take the time, now that you do not have to focus on driving, and just be mindful of your feelings about this. Be in the now, let the emotions happen, go through the motions and through your thoughts.

Why I know about this so well? Working in content moderation for over 4 years did things to me... We had a psychologist come to work and he coached my whole team on how to deal with vicarious traumatization. And while ours where really very disturbing (we did not have to talk about the things we saw), he gave us an example of himself and a mild form like what you explained in the OP. So it happens on different levels but the only thing that you need to keep in mind is, if it impacts you then that's ok. Just go through the motions instead of what society teaches us, this unhealthy behaviour of "oh it's nothing, calm down" because if it impacts you then it's not nothing and it is ok if it's not nothing.

I dunno if this all made any sense to people outside my head.

Leerob,

Thanks for that. We rarely see a person in desperation, maybe because there is so much stigma in showing emotion publicly. We might see people fighting or shouting in public, but not in despair.

Yes, it did impact me.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
09-10-2017, 02:50 PM
(09-10-2017 10:44 AM)Dom Wrote:  Fucking people letting dogs ride untethered in the back of trucks.

Not going into details.

I've posted on this forum about this before. I find having a dog in a vehicle without a seatbelt, even inside it not just in a truck bed, to be as deplorable as letting your kid ride without a seatbelt. Let's put aside the DANGER factor for just a second...Yesterday I got a notice to keep an eye out for a lost dog in our area. Why was it lost? Because the driver had it in a car without a seatbelt and had a minor accident. And when they opened the door to look at the damage and exchange insurance info, the frightened dog came out of the door and ran. How bad does your day suck when you have a minor accident and lose your dog as a result? When losing the dog could have been so easily avoided...

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
09-10-2017, 04:58 PM
(09-10-2017 02:48 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Leerob,

Thanks for that. We rarely see a person in desperation, maybe because there is so much stigma in showing emotion publicly. We might see people fighting or shouting in public, but not in despair.

Yes, it did impact me.

D.
It reminded me of something very sad that I saw a few years back in Romania. We were driving down the road in winter and apparently one of the street dogs had died and now was laying on the cold ground and another dog (apparently companion) was desperately trying to wake the other dog up buy nudging it and pushing and pulling.
I am not comparing the guy you talk about with dogs, but I felt very emotional about it too. It still kinda haunts me sometimes.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
09-10-2017, 05:55 PM
I once saw a semi turning right at a stoplight across the intersection from me.

There was a compact car right at the corner ( illegally parked).

The back wheels of the trailer went up onto the car. The truck driver realized what was happening, and stopped - directly on top of the car' s driver.

At the time, I had my first cellphone. I called 911 to report it - and the dumbassed 911 operated insisted she needed an address.....

Facepalm

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-10-2017, 06:40 PM
(09-10-2017 01:44 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Folks,

Sometimes we see terrible things while driving.

This is mine – yesterday. In Asda/Walmart car park there was a young lad sitting on the kerb with his head in his hands, staring down at his feet. Next to him was an enduro off road motorcycle, with no number plate. Standing over him were two police officers, one phoning somewhere and the other writing up the citation.

The lad had the body language of despair, and it was obvious from his look that he wasn’t legal. The lack of number plate was enough evidence of that, probably no insurance, MOT, or even driving licence. As the police couldn’t verify the ownership of the bike, they would have to take it in and probably arrest the lad. He was facing the whole book.

I’m not a judgemental type and we have all made mistakes in our lives. I was very sorry to see this lad facing up to his mistake.

D.

That kid could have been me, I started driving to school illegally on my enduro when I was 14, on and off streets and through fields, through the agricultural college, passed a hospital and into the back of the school yard. My father knew I was doing it, the teachers knew I was doing it, plus probably 100's of other adults seeing me do it, passing me on the road. Nobody ever stopped me or told my to stop.

I wonder how they would have felt if I'd have been hit by a car?

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
09-10-2017, 09:34 PM
I had a 63 Falcon convertible and I was driving along, top down one fine summer day following a Ford Fairmont sedan.
We both turned right onto this road that passed along the base of a cliff and along the river. I remember the sun was really bright in my eyes but I messed with the visors till I could see. Sometime in the past a gigantic boulder had fallen off that cliff, and have been shoved off to the side in this gravel area 25 feet or more off the road. The old guy in the Fairmont didn't follow the curve in the road and just drove straight ahead into that rock at 35 miles an hour. The rear end of the car came clear up in the air, and the roof was bent in a slight V from the inertia of the back half of the car. I figured the rock weighed 40000 lb, and it slid probably four or five inches. I slid to a stop right next to the car jumped out and tried to help. None the glass is broken and all the doors are locked. I beat the window out with my jack, climbed in the back seat and over the front seat and started assessing the guy. The seat had broken off the tracks and was slammed forward, I got my legs in place and push everything back.
He had compound fractures and his face was pretty messed up. The old guy had a mouth full of broken dentures so I cleared those out of the way. Eventually the paramedics arrived and took over and then I was trapped there by all the fire vehicles until they got him stabilized. He didn't make it. The speculation was he had a stroke or something that caused him to drive off the road in the first place.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
09-10-2017, 09:54 PM
(09-10-2017 10:49 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 10:25 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  A few years ago now, on the freeway (while going at freeway speed) a horse fell out of trailer.

That was a mess. HUGE mess. Ugly mess...

There''s plenty of stuff I wish I could unsee.

OMG. That's horrible Moms. I worry about dogs on the back of trucks or sticking their heads out the windows that are rolled almost all the way down. I try to get around the vehicle as fast as I can. It makes me so nervous to see dogs precariously walking around in the back of a pickup truck while going down the freeway at 60 mphs. Why do people do this.

It was on 205 (the horse).

My dog from the time he was a puppy was just in the backseat with one of the kids. We had a van back then so there really were no windows to open anyway. When we eventually got a newer van with windows and then the Prius it never occurred to him to stick his head out the window. It just wasn’t part of what he did.

Neighbors used to drive their truck with their dog in the back. It annoyed me. It always bothers me. There’s a woman at my kid’s school and she keeps her dog on her lap while she drives. It’s not a teeny dog, paws on the windowsill and barking.

People are stupid.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

10-10-2017, 06:36 AM
@Moms, I'm sure Taco Bell was upset at losing the meat.

For me, it was a few years ago, I was at a stoplight facing west. In the left turn lane (southbound) to my right there was a fully loaded dumptruck waiting to go. Some guy entered the turn lane and smashed into the back of the truck. He hit so hard, his car jumped back about 20 feet. Our light changed and I turned right (others were already at the car and the fire station was about 200 yards away). He was looking right at me but moving. I kooked right into his eyes briefly. My wife told me via text he died before the ambulance got there so I may have been the last thing he saw. Sobering thought.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
10-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Sounds like my childhood.
I only got caught once.
Every other time I/we were able to out run the cops on our dirt bikes.
We didn't just ride around on the road but there were some semi long stretched between off road riding areas.
A Walmart parking lot would be a bad idea.
You are a sitting duck.
He's fine.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]