Terrorism in the USA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2015, 03:11 PM
RE: Terrorism in the USA
(23-11-2015 01:51 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 01:41 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Terrorist is what you call the a group of people who are fighting with no resources, using unconventional methods against a larger, superior, better armed force.....

I'm sure the British used it for the colonials, circa 1775 or so..

I do consider ISIS to be a terrorist group. They use terrorist tactics. I certainly wouldn't call them a conventional opposing military force.

Why should the layfolk give a shit about details like that? As the potential victims, the most relevant element is the terror the attacks spread. Disgruntled white people have been more frequent sowers of terror than Arabic Muslims. Why should I be suddenly in panic mode now if I wasn't already in panic mode before just because some Islamic Extremists want to get in on the action again? It's obviously not a good thing, but the sad reality is it's nothing new either.

Some idiot Texas politician made the argument that we should not have refugees because guns are easy to get a hold of.....OH so now they are suddenly concerned with access to guns. And you already said it, we have more to fear from disgruntled white people.....Yea, depressed people, angry spouses, and the childish worship of the object itself. NRA loves that fear, so do the manufactures, they get to sell to everyone, cops and society using that fear.

Maybe that moron should consider that because the manufactures pump them out like candy the entire world has access to too many.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2015, 05:32 PM
(23-11-2015 01:45 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Yep, everyone thinks they can hit their target just because they shoot at a target range. Hate to tell you this, but your body reacts quite differently under stress, and any cop can tell you or military service people can tell you, you have to be trained to deal with stress to insure you don't shoot the wrong target, much less injure yourself. And not only do you have to be trained to shoot a gun under stress, you also have to maintain that training so you don't lose it.

The training is more about situational awareness and recognizing threats from innocents. There is also stress training.

No one here is claiming any bozo with a gun is effective.

Quote:The two AZ shooters murdered TWO armed cops,

Who they ambushed.

Quote:then went into a Walmart, and murdered a armed civilian who had his gun drawn.

Who thought there was one shooter and was shot from behind by the other.

Quote: Having a gun will not insure your safety. Most of the time when you introduce one into a conflict it gets you hurt or killed or the wrong person hurt or killed.

No one here is claiming that it will. That's your second straw man argument.

Quote:The problem is you are not afraid to die. That is not the same as being trained to survive.

Huh?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2015, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 05:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-11-2015 12:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What with all the ISIS attacks going on elsewhere in the world -- why isn't there any concern in the USA???

If I were to make a guess -- I'd say that they should be raising the "threat assessment level" here in the USA.

We went to FPCON BRAVO a couple of months ago.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
23-11-2015, 05:47 PM
(23-11-2015 01:45 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 01:20 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I worry about my son and grandson who live in Boston [where they can't carry a gun] but other than that, I never give it a thought. If terrorists decide to hit Colorado Springs, it will only be because they lack imagination. Besides, since I am usually within a few steps of a gun and since I have absolutely no fear of dying, if they did come to my neighborhood it could be fun as long as they stay away from my wife.

Yep, everyone thinks they can hit their target just because they shoot at a target range. Hate to tell you this, but your body reacts quite differently under stress, and any cop can tell you or military service people can tell you, you have to be trained to deal with stress to insure you don't shoot the wrong target, much less injure yourself. And not only do you have to be trained to shoot a gun under stress, you also have to maintain that training so you don't lose it.

The two AZ shooters murdered TWO armed cops, then went into a Walmart, and murdered a armed civilian who had his gun drawn. Having a gun will not insure your safety. Most of the time when you introduce one into a conflict it gets you hurt or killed or the wrong person hurt or killed.

There was a armed former military guy on campus at the Oregon shooting, his reason for not getting involved is he did not want police mistaking him for a bad guy. That was the correct decision and based on HIS military training. You have to be trained to spot the right target. And sometimes that target can blend in.

The problem is you are not afraid to die. That is not the same as being trained to survive.

Ah but I have been trained to survive and to win in a gunfight. I was a Ranger in the Army and for the last 30 plus years I have taught self defense with handguns and rifles including a high stress course. I also teach cops [and, although it's irrelevant to this particular discussion, I have trained Army snipers]. I have been attacked by terrorists in Kyrgyzstan and I know how I will react under that kind of stress -- I will be just fine. I am not a virgin living in a fantasy world when it comes to terrorists and self defense.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
23-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot. Several years ago I was asked to train some Special Forces guys in close combat and I did that. Those guys subsequently went into Fallujah and none of my students were killed or injured but they killed a lot of bad guys.
23-11-2015, 06:46 PM
(23-11-2015 01:41 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Terrorist is what you call the a group of people who are fighting with no resources, using unconventional methods against a larger, superior, better armed force.....

I'm sure the British used it for the colonials, circa 1775 or so..

I do consider ISIS to be a terrorist group. They use terrorist tactics. I certainly wouldn't call them a conventional opposing military force.

Ummm that is not at all what terrorist means, A terrorist is someone who uses violence to spread fear for political reasons.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
23-11-2015, 07:38 PM
(23-11-2015 12:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What with all the ISIS attacks going on elsewhere in the world -- why isn't there any concern in the USA???

If I were to make a guess -- I'd say that they should be raising the "threat assessment level" here in the USA.

And personally -- you couldn't get me to go out shopping on Black Friday on a bet......(of course, I hate the crowding anyway - so never have been out on BF)

I'm sure terrorists have at least considered -- if not indeed planned -- to take advantage of the most heavy traffic in shopping centers.

Thoughts??

I'm sure Australia isn't as big a target as the US is, but for what it's worth, I'm not afraid of terror attacks on my home soil.

Here in Adelaide, we have an annual Giftmas pageant, it's a huge event; a day of celebration, and icon of a state that's broadcast across the nation. And it's a perfect terror target; hitting it could cause not only colossal casualties (given that this years turn out was estimated in an excess of 340000 people), but it would be an enormous national kick to the nuts, and would inevitably cause huge economic suppression because people would be too terrified to do anything. The biggest celebration of the year would be a day of mourning for decades to come.

And nothing happened. Forget shopping centres and schools, this would be the big-leagues, the best of all possible days to make a nation fall to it's knees and weep. Despite all the concern and scaremongering that terrorists are laying in wait to strike at the best opportunity, nothing happened.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-11-2015, 07:26 PM
I'm working on Black Friday and I expect it to be really, really, really slooooow. A terrorist attack may break up the monotony. Maybe get me home a little early too.

Bring it on.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
24-11-2015, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2015 09:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-11-2015 05:47 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Ah but I have been trained to survive and to win in a gunfight. -- I will be just fine. I am not a virgin living in a fantasy world when it comes to terrorists and self defense.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
24-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Ima stay home as much as possible for the next few days. I'm more concerned about the people sitting in traffic behind me beeping their horns like crazed weevils while the person in front of me waits for the person in the crosswalk to complete their walk across the street, and then running the red light because they are late for whatever their first world problem is. It has gotten to the point here that even if I have the walk light in the crosswalk (I was on a bike ride), the freakin' city buses run the red light. Do I have to get 911 on speed dial? I'm considering getting a GoPro to record the circumstances of my demise, when I ride my bike. I have a really large Chevy truck that, if someone runs into it in their little stuffin' box, they will be the losers. Terrorists? We have met the enemy and they are us. Some of us older people know where that quote comes from. Who remembers?