Terrorist Attack in Oregon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2016, 11:13 AM
RE: Terrorist Attack in Oregon
I think the problem here is he had his hands up and looks to be surrendering. ... and then something goes wrong. If he went for his gun, he unfortunately got what he deserves. But, if he was giving up and they shot him, it's a problem and possibly a crime. I get it's easy to judge when you are thousands of miles away but the fact is the police don't have the right to just shoot people, especially people who are not posing any threat at the time he was shot. Shooting a guy with his hands up is murder. And, if that's what happened, it should be treated as a crime.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2016, 11:24 AM
(28-01-2016 05:37 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Easy fix.

[Image: 181.jpg]

America bombs everywhere else. What's so special about Oregon???

Tongue

Not enough brown people to merit a drone strike.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
29-01-2016, 11:56 AM
(29-01-2016 11:24 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(28-01-2016 05:37 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Easy fix.

[Image: 181.jpg]

America bombs everywhere else. What's so special about Oregon???

Tongue

Not enough brown people to merit a drone strike.

At a $110K per Hellfire it is a lot cheaper to just shoot them. Less property damage too.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
29-01-2016, 06:52 PM
I don't seem to be able to load this video, but it is supposed to show more detail...

http://www.kdrv.com/news/FBI_Releases_Vi...wsWatch_12

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-01-2016, 07:28 PM
(29-01-2016 06:52 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't seem to be able to load this video, but it is supposed to show more detail...

http://www.kdrv.com/news/FBI_Releases_Vi...wsWatch_12

It's the same video I posted but is narrated by an FBI agent which helps a little bit to understand.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-01-2016, 07:55 PM
(29-01-2016 11:13 AM)BnW Wrote:  I think the problem here is he had his hands up and looks to be surrendering. ... and then something goes wrong. If he went for his gun, he unfortunately got what he deserves. But, if he was giving up and they shot him, it's a problem and possibly a crime. I get it's easy to judge when you are thousands of miles away but the fact is the police don't have the right to just shoot people, especially people who are not posing any threat at the time he was shot. Shooting a guy with his hands up is murder. And, if that's what happened, it should be treated as a crime.

It's also worth looking at the situation as a whole and not just the few seconds leading up to the shooting. These guys were known to be armed, they've openly stated that they intended to fight to the death, they'd ignored a previous order to pull over and instead took off at high speed, and they may have plowed into an officer at the blockade, and there were also numerous other potentially combative people inside the vehicle that had to be accounted for as well, which would have made it tactically irrational to put too much focus on the one who got out. If he does anything other than exactly what he's told, then he's too much of a distraction to be patient with. In my book, by the time he got out of the vehicle he was already a dangerous threat. I don't know exactly what their rules of engagement are, and I realize it's not the same as my own experiences, but if I've got a known hostile heading towards a blockade and there are no pedestrians in the way, I'm all for opening fire the second the vehicle is in range. And if not then, the second I think another officer is in danger (the one who almost got splattered by the vehicle) would also be a good time.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
29-01-2016, 08:39 PM
(29-01-2016 11:13 AM)BnW Wrote:  I think the problem here is he had his hands up and looks to be surrendering. ... and then something goes wrong. If he went for his gun, he unfortunately got what he deserves.

I have to disagree. He did not deserve to die. At the very least, he deserved due process of law before being deprived of his life. If he had been hit in the arm and lived, no one would say he actually deserved summary execution and got off easy.

That's not to say the shooter was unjustified in shooting. I don't know if he was or not.
29-01-2016, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2016 08:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-01-2016 08:39 PM)I Am Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 11:13 AM)BnW Wrote:  I think the problem here is he had his hands up and looks to be surrendering. ... and then something goes wrong. If he went for his gun, he unfortunately got what he deserves.

I have to disagree. He did not deserve to die. At the very least, he deserved due process of law before being deprived of his life. If he had been hit in the arm and lived, no one would say he actually deserved summary execution and got off easy.

That's not to say the shooter was unjustified in shooting. I don't know if he was or not.

Dude went up there with a suicide-by-cop death wish which he made clear all over the news huddled under a tarp hugging his gun. Dude got his suicide-by-cop death wish. - checkmate popo.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-01-2016, 08:52 PM
I'm personally not a fan of the concept of heeding too much attention to what one deserves, as it tends to have little relevance in regards to what one gets or doesn't get. I prefer to view the world and everything in it simply as cause/effect. As far as I can tell, it sounds like he was a decent, respectable guy. A respectable guy who got caught up in this bullshit and set himself on a course of action that would ultimately result in his death.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
29-01-2016, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2016 09:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-01-2016 08:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm personally not a fan of the concept of heeding too much attention to what one deserves, as it tends to have little relevance in regards to what one gets or doesn't get. I prefer to view the world and everything in it simply as cause/effect. As far as I can tell, it sounds like he was a decent, respectable guy. A respectable guy who got caught up in this bullshit and set himself on a course of action that would ultimately result in his death.

I think all these motherfuckers got caught up in some shit the implications of which they had no clue. Like Ted Cruz shutting down the government to accomplish exactly dick. Dafuq they even thinking? "Actions have consequences." - FBI

But I appreciate your characterization of the fools. They should get some leniency for being fucking stupid.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post