Terrorist citizens.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 01:34 AM
RE: Terrorist citizens.
(25-06-2015 09:04 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 08:52 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hmm... Courts are hardly non-partisan either. Having lived under one dictator and with plenty of African dictator wannabes waiting in the wings, I tend to be *very* leery of laws where people award themselves new powers which can be used to quash dissent.

I'm not sure that those conditions obtain here in America. Of course the application of any law is imperfect, but given that you'd have separate branches of government addressing the issue, the idea of a dictatorial hammer knocking down any citizen based on whim doesn't seem terribly likely. Put another way, people are occasionally convicted wrongly of a crime. Is that any reason to halt all prosecutions? No. It is a good reason to put an appeals process in place.

You guys have a fairly long history of enlightenment thought, but... we have separation of powers here in Africa too. A lot of countries in Southern Africa at least, have *beautifully* written, carefully thought out constitutions.

It's not just dictatorships you have to worry about though. It's... say you're an activist and you're making life difficult for some corporation. Say that you happen to be Australian. (Or American, if we go with the idea that you guys implement a similar law). Nothing could be simpler than for them to accuse you of terrorism and get you convicted (or in the Aussie version they don't need even a conviction!). Now you have a long, expensive legal battle to clear your name on your hands. No more problems for the corporation.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply