Terry Gross interview of Stanford Anthropologist re "When God Talked Back"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2012, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012 09:06 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Terry Gross interview of Stanford Anthropologist re "When God Talked Back"
Terry Gross interviewed a Stanford Anthropologist, on Fresh Air today. Tanya Luhrman had some interesting stuff to say about her study of a CA fundie group.

I was kind of shocked how easy it was to question her conclusions/results of her 4 week "iPod study", (seemed like VERY poorly designed research, and obviously questionable interpretation of the results). But her ideas about the cultural shift in American's ideas about a "god", is pretty interesting. (She also seems to miss the obvious neurophysiological basis of "prayer"...beta-endorphin release). http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer...04-09-2012 Einstein

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 08:45 PM
RE: Terry Gross interview of Stanford Anthropologist re "When God Talked Back"
Evangelicals have a close personal relationship with the voices in their head.
The group dynamics is that only the ones God favors he has a conversations with.
If God doesn't like you, you have not pleased him, he doesn't talk to you.
SO, they all claim to talk to god. That shows that they are leading a virtuous life.
It's a status thing among peers.
In short, they all lie about what's happening.

Then there are those who really do hear the voices.
If you truely believe it you can make yourself hear just about anything you want.
They pretend to hear God until they finally do hear God.
Any psychologist can tell you that this is a self delusional technique.
You psyc out your own mind. It's manufactured. The brain will loose touch with reality.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
10-04-2012, 02:24 PM
RE: Terry Gross interview of Stanford Anthropologist re "When God Talked Back"
(09-04-2012 08:45 PM)Thomas Wrote:  If you truely believe it you can make yourself hear just about anything you want.
They pretend to hear God until they finally do hear God.
Any psychologist can tell you that this is a self delusional technique.
You psyc out your own mind. It's manufactured. The brain will loose touch with reality.

I totally agree with you there. I remember listening to one of Seth's podcasts 'Pastors who don't believe'. A pastor sent him an email or something about how he did a mass when he didn't believe. And at the end of the mass somebody came up to him and said that she really felt Jesus in her heart that night. So the pastor was up there talking about Jesus, with no meaning in what he was saying and he knew it was all a pile of crap, but yet the person still believed that Jesus was there.