Yes
Not yet
[Show Results]

Testabel Evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Testabel Evolution
I would like to start out by saying that i am a biology student at The University of Oslo(And should probably have asked a professor there, but thought this might be a place to spread the answer(and i am a dyslectic so pardon the spell check)). I am an atheist and i firmly belive in the theory of evolution, but one thing keeps bugging me an that is that all other scientific theories are tested. So is there any hold to the accusation that Evolution is not a "proper" theory yet? Are there any experiments i am not aware of? I can certanliy think upp a few thet would prove it bbut has there been such an experiment yet? and if not what is given as the testable part of evolution?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2013, 08:32 PM
RE: Testabel Evolution
(18-03-2013 06:40 PM)EBM93NOR Wrote:  I would like to start out by saying that i am a biology student at The University of Oslo(And should probably have asked a professor there, but thought this might be a place to spread the answer(and i am a dyslectic so pardon the spell check)). I am an atheist and i firmly belive in the theory of evolution, but one thing keeps bugging me an that is that all other scientific theories are tested. So is there any hold to the accusation that Evolution is not a "proper" theory yet? Are there any experiments i am not aware of? I can certanliy think upp a few thet would prove it bbut has there been such an experiment yet? and if not what is given as the testable part of evolution?
Evolution has been tested many, many times. One of my favorite examples is Tiktaalik roseae.

Biologists predicted the strata that a transitional form from water to land would be found. They found it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2013, 08:51 PM
I think there is more evidence for this theory than for the theory of gravity.

It is not only predictable and tested but also observed.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-03-2013, 09:05 PM
It's happening all day every day in every hospital lab in the world.
Bactertia evolving resistance to antibiotics, which have become ineffective because they have evolved resistance. Anything written by Dr. Coyne at the U of Chicago will convince you. http://pondside.uchicago.edu/ecol-evol/p...coyne.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
19-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Bucky beat me to it. Sure evolution is tested, exactly as his video proves.

It's also tested in the croplands of every advanced nation: farmers plant crops, pests and parasites try to eat those crops before we harvest them, farmers use pesticides to kill those unwanted vermin, the pesticides kill some of them but others survive because maybe they are just a bit more hardy, or have some evolutionary advantage to help them survive, so they're (mostly) the only ones that successfully breed. Each generation becomes more and more resistant as the unresistant vermin are killed and the resistant ones keep breeding. Soon, that particular pesticide is so ineffective that farmers quit using it, even though it used to work just fine. So smart farmers rotate their pesticides so that they don't create super-vermin totally immune to just one pesticide, and because it's more effective. They don't all know the evolutionary science behind pesticide rotation, but they all do it because evolutionary biologists figured this out, observed, tested, proved, and then provided the solution - pesticide rotation.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
19-03-2013, 01:38 AM
(18-03-2013 06:40 PM)EBM93NOR Wrote:  I would like to start out by saying that i am a biology student at The University of Oslo(And should probably have asked a professor there, but thought this might be a place to spread the answer(and i am a dyslectic so pardon the spell check)). I am an atheist and i firmly belive in the theory of evolution, but one thing keeps bugging me an that is that all other scientific theories are tested. So is there any hold to the accusation that Evolution is not a "proper" theory yet? Are there any experiments i am not aware of? I can certanliy think upp a few thet would prove it bbut has there been such an experiment yet? and if not what is given as the testable part of evolution?

You can replicate evolution in computer programs. About 12 years ago I played with an evolution simulator called Frame sticks and evolved some neat creatures. Google Framesticks.

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
19-03-2013, 02:12 AM
(18-03-2013 09:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Dr. Coyne at the U of Chicago will convince you.

That's worth 67 mins of anyone's life.

Take-away message... Murikans are dysfunctional!

Tell us something we didn't know.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-03-2013, 07:35 AM
BTW, I think I saw a movie about her sister, Jezabel. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Evolution doesn't require "belief" OP. But I think that was just semantics.

The question has been moderately answered by some here, so can I ask you something? If humanity never reached space, and wasn't able to actually photograph the earth, would you be wavering on the "spherical earth" theory?
19-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Hey, Pool.

That's not a fair question. Science is not, and cannot ever be, about, "Meh, close enough." If the terrestrial data is irrefutable, then fine. But if we need to see the earth to know, then yeah, I'd doubt it.

Generally,

I am staunch Darwinist. My understanding has always been that evolution has not been proven. Indeed, to this day, I've never heard of "the experiment that irrefutably proves evolution." Similarly, E=MC2 has never been proven.

Higgs boson? Proven. The experiment is clear, the data is clear and the experiment is repeatable. Slam dunk. I know neither what the evolution experiment is nor what the data is.

I can't, however, be certain that it's not just a hegemonic view and that they both have been proven (can't view that video where I am).

But all of that being said, the evidence certainly points towards both evolution and E=MC2. I've certainly never heard anything that even comes close to putting a single chink in either's armour.

Creationism is a non-issue for me. I don't defend evolution to stem the tide of the great creationist threat, I defend it because it has awesome explanatory powers. I don't hate them for thinking what they think, we're just talking about different things.

As much of a supporter of evolution as I am, if it has not in fact been proven, then I can't say that it has. What I do know is that when I base my work on it, I have yet to falter. It has been 100% reliable to date.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt