25-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Testing Homeopathy

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
25-03-2013, 01:16 AM
RE: Testing Homeopathy
That's funny. I always knew homeopathy was just snake oil, but I never realized just how ridiculous it is.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
27-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Re: Testing Homeopathy
I didn't have a good measure of just how dilute the preparations are. When you start talking about one drop per so many light years.... :-)
27-03-2013, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2013 05:00 PM by Luminon.)
I don't have much of an opinion on homeopathy itself, but I have always considered testing homeopathy kind of a sloppy job from skeptics.

Everyone seems to assume that homeopathy is thought to work in a chemical way. A chemical's efficacy is dependent on many factors, but most of all the amount or concentration of it. Homeopathy contains virtually no active chemicals, so it can not possibly be effective and indeed it is not, in applications and tests where a chemical would show an effect.

But what if it is all a big misunderstanding? After all, homeopathy is not claimed to work chemically. It does not dissolve virus shells or disrupt bacterial inner chemistry, neither it adds any vitamins to the organism.
The claim says something about "memory of water" or "information in water". The "potentization" or purification reminds me of more than anything else, trying to "erase" the memory of water through distillation and then put a clear and simple "message" of whatever chemical it begins with. More chemicals or poop in water will not give more messages, it will simply cause a chaos, an unreadable information, a background noise that the body has no way of reading. It is the clarity and subtlety of this "information", that one might pose as hypothesis to test. That's why the water is supposed to be distilled and why it's shaken and diluted and shaken so many times. This really does not even resemble chemical principle and it is sad that skeptics stop here with their skepticism.

Try as you might, but the body can not be poisoned with too much "information", whatever it means. What if homeopathy is supposed to act at a much subtler level? What if it, I don't know, gives sort of an "advisory opinion" to the nerve system, brain or endocrine glands? What if the body only acts upon it, when there is something actually wrong in that area? If the body is "misinformed", it might do such things as for example overreact to relatively common stimuli, causing various allergies and hay fever. At worst, it might attack its own tissues. But I know allergies are a highly psychosomatic thing. Sometimes I'm so busy that I don't have a time for hay fever. Once I stop working and return home, it returns.

This is according to my humble opinion how I would work if I wanted to know if homeopathy works. Look into the body where it's dependent on subtlest signals, such as nerve system or instructing the immune system or hormonal glands, see if there's something wrong and see if a "right" homeopathic in "right" dosage will change anything. I personally consider things like homeopathic sleeping pills a shameless travesty. Sleep is a natural, healthy thing and I don't think any homeopathic could do anything about that even theoretically.

Just please, don't get the impression that I defend homeopathy here. Despite of taking it, I did not manage to get a clear, obvious observation that it works and solves any problems. There were of course reactions, but not much better than placebo, not good enough for my judgement.

I did get once an unbelievably clear observations that the Chinese medicine of meridians and sticking needles into skin really does work, at least in things like allergic reactions (hence the idea!). That was something awesome and it saved me hours of a swollen, itching and dripping eye. But homeopathy, I can't say anything about that.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
27-03-2013, 06:16 PM

Just an outsider looking inn.
28-03-2013, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2013 12:29 AM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
29-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I personally have always had good luck with arnica when I have had trauma and I find calendula creme quite soothing for skin irritation. Who knows how it works but homeopathy sometimes does for me.

So do placebos often work. Who cares if it works for you.
29-03-2013, 10:50 AM
(29-03-2013 10:43 AM)JAH Wrote:  I personally have always had good luck with arnica when I have had trauma and I find calendula creme quite soothing for skin irritation. Who knows how it works but homeopathy sometimes does for me.

So do placebos often work. Who cares if it works for you.

Are you confusing herbal remedies with homeopathic remedies?Consider

I think so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-03-2013, 11:31 AM
A lot of herbal remedies have merit in narrow applications and a lot of chemical meds are actually based on herbals.

This is an area I give allowances in, because I do not believe that we understand all of the chemical interactions, they are too numerous and research is expensive as heck.

Besides, I do not think that all meds, chemical or herbal, work the same in different people. They only work in a percentage of people. There is more to it than just analysing the chemical/herb itself, there are a myriad of possible interactions and predispositions going on.

And we tend to forget that commonly available foods also have certain healing properties (as well as harmful ones) and these interact with other types of meds also. And we most certainly haven't tested for much of that yet.

As far as homeopathic meds - if they do work, we don't know what they involve as far as processes in our bodies go. Conceivably, they could work in ways we have not discovered yet. Since there are a lot of people who swear by these mixtures, they either have a wonderful placebo effect or they actually do something we do not recognize. Either way is fine by me, whatever works.

Personally, I figure eating well is the best medicine and prevention. Than I trust the medical profession, and then herbal remedies. I'd have to be pretty desperate and clasping at straws to try homeopathic meds.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-03-2013, 12:00 PM
(29-03-2013 11:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  A lot of herbal remedies have merit in narrow applications and a lot of chemical meds are actually based on herbals.

This is an area I give allowances in, because I do not believe that we understand all of the chemical interactions, they are too numerous and research is expensive as heck.

Besides, I do not think that all meds, chemical or herbal, work the same in different people. They only work in a percentage of people. There is more to it than just analysing the chemical/herb itself, there are a myriad of possible interactions and predispositions going on.

And we tend to forget that commonly available foods also have certain healing properties (as well as harmful ones) and these interact with other types of meds also. And we most certainly haven't tested for much of that yet.

As far as homeopathic meds - if they do work, we don't know what they involve as far as processes in our bodies go. Conceivably, they could work in ways we have not discovered yet. Since there are a lot of people who swear by these mixtures, they either have a wonderful placebo effect or they actually do something we do not recognize. Either way is fine by me, whatever works.

Personally, I figure eating well is the best medicine and prevention. Than I trust the medical profession, and then herbal remedies. I'd have to be pretty desperate and clasping at straws to try homeopathic meds.

Homeopathy has been tested and found ineffective. It is entirely bunkum.

There does seem to be confusion among many people between homeopathic 'remedies' and herbal remedies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post