Testing Homeopathy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2013, 04:09 PM
RE: Testing Homeopathy
(27-03-2013 06:16 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  The problem is that this isn't just chemical. It's physics as well. There is none of the original chemical in the solution and we have no idea how anything retains "memory" when physics doesn't remotely give life to the idea.

So the only, practical, conclusive reason that homeopathy might have any effect is if it's a placebo.
I can't agree with that. When I look at physics, I see a small island of knowledge in the sea of unknown. Specifically speaking, I (don't) see the mysterious dark matter and dark energy and yet I suspect there are ways how at least the dark matter might interact with us. So I'd rather make less assumptions about physics. I think we need some confusion about reality rather than to be too sure about it.

(27-03-2013 06:16 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  Here's a way. Take a cup of water. Take another cup of water that's treated with homeopathy. See whether there is a statistical significance between the non treated water and the water.

This has already been done on numerous occasions and nothing significant came out of it. In other words, homeopathy is no better than a placebo.
Statistics mean nothing here, I'd like to see specifically allergy tests with homeopathy, for the reasons I mentioned. This is just about the only area I think homeopathy might work. But I couldn't google up any tests, people already take it for granted.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 01:37 PM
(29-03-2013 11:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  A lot of herbal remedies have merit in narrow applications and a lot of chemical meds are actually based on herbals.

This is an area I give allowances in, because I do not believe that we understand all of the chemical interactions, they are too numerous and research is expensive as heck.

Besides, I do not think that all meds, chemical or herbal, work the same in different people. They only work in a percentage of people. There is more to it than just analysing the chemical/herb itself, there are a myriad of possible interactions and predispositions going on.

And we tend to forget that commonly available foods also have certain healing properties (as well as harmful ones) and these interact with other types of meds also. And we most certainly haven't tested for much of that yet.

As far as homeopathic meds - if they do work, we don't know what they involve as far as processes in our bodies go. Conceivably, they could work in ways we have not discovered yet. Since there are a lot of people who swear by these mixtures, they either have a wonderful placebo effect or they actually do something we do not recognize. Either way is fine by me, whatever works.

Personally, I figure eating well is the best medicine and prevention. Than I trust the medical profession, and then herbal remedies. I'd have to be pretty desperate and clasping at straws to try homeopathic meds.

Herbal and homeopathic are two seperate things. A lot of people swear that prayer works but we know that is utter bullshit. Homeopathic is useless and is not medicine in any way. It is placebo and nothing more.
[+] 2 users Like HumanistJohn420's post
17-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Thank you. I was about to say the same thing. The two terms are not synonymous and cannot really be interchanged.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
17-04-2013, 08:47 PM
The thing is there's nothing that would indicate homeopathy works.
Period.

It certainly doesn't work for what it claims to, and frankly you're going to have a hard time trying to convince someone to do a trial on something that has been shown to be ineffective and is utterly just water.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
18-04-2013, 08:23 AM
Am I the only one that read the thread title and thought Vosur was announcing that he's testing out Homosexuality? Consider

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
19-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Careful though, this is strong stuff... Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
19-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
20-04-2013, 07:47 AM
If a water molecule has a memory, does it retain the memory of the stagnant pond of sewage it was previously in as well as the medicine?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
20-04-2013, 07:55 AM
(20-04-2013 07:47 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  If a water molecule has a memory, does it retain the memory of the stagnant pond of sewage it was previously in as well as the medicine?

Don't be ridiculous! The pond doesn't have chakras. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-04-2013, 08:29 AM
(20-04-2013 07:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 07:47 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  If a water molecule has a memory, does it retain the memory of the stagnant pond of sewage it was previously in as well as the medicine?

Don't be ridiculous! The pond doesn't have chakras. Drinking Beverage

How would you know??? Maybe the pond has a spirit in it. How else do you explain the fact that the water moves when nobody is touching it.

Just an outsider looking inn.